Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

rdwight wrote: »
    Sinn Fein once again showing the kind of leadership needed from those in government (as opposed to those whose abilities only extend to hurling on the ditch).

https://www.thejournal.ie/ni-assembly-abortion-bill-5382919-Mar2021/

See this is the big difference between FF and SF today. Micháel did the "right" thing at both elections and got slaughtered in the press and polls - both in the C&S and the coalition. He acted responsibly - comprising to form needed governments, giving a stable platform for Brexit and also getting rid of Water charges in C & S. Coalition has made some mistakes with COVID but they haven't been terrible either.

MaryLou ran away from responsibility after winning the election. Ran her mouth during the Brexit negotiations. Ran her mouth, ran out of meetings and tried to undermine at every turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

I heard someone say on the radio that Sinn Féin are the ABUs of politics, I never saw the ABU team ever win any trophies...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Have they ever been described as a pro-choice party? I haven't heard people refer to SF in that regard.

McGuinness certainly didn't seem to think so as recently as 2013.

https://www.thejournal.ie/sinn-fein-ard-fheis-abortion-868416-Apr2013/

They have certainly moved in this from 2013, but I wouldn't have thought to the extent of them being considered a "pro-choice" party.

They are a "pro-whatever the populist wind blows" party.
    Sinn Fein once again showing the kind of leadership needed from those in government (as opposed to those whose abilities only extend to hurling on the ditch).

SF has a history of abdicating responsibility so long as it can appeal to people and ignore difficult but necessary choices.

Way back a decade ago they wanted to burn the bondholders and have us follow Syriza- nice but biting the ECB hand that feeds us didn't work so well for the Greeks.
    Looming Pensions crisis - let's vote against that in case they lose some votes.
    Water charges - That's ok in NI, just rename it to Rates.
    Housing crisis - nimby objections as usual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

I heard someone say on the radio that Sinn Féin are the ABUs of politics, I never saw the ABU team ever win any trophies...

sf are terrified at the prospect of actually being in power ,

its the last thing they want ,

its far easier to sneer and snigger from the opposition bench's for doing what they are incapable of doing in the six counties

after all look at the mess they have made in the north , all they do is blame the brits and unionists for their lack of ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Once again we see Sinn Fein ignore the institutions that exist in this state. Leo Varadkar is currently under investigation by the relevant department of An Garda Siochana. However Sinn Fein are busy calling for his sacking before this investigation is concluded. Do they not trust the Guards, do they not believe in following a procedure do they know something the Guards don't know. Maybe they are too used to Kangaroo Courts and want to apply their own beliefs on everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Once again we see Sinn Fein ignore the institutions that exist in this state. Leo Varadkar is currently under investigation by the relevant department of An Garda Siochana. However Sinn Fein are busy calling for his sacking before this investigation is concluded. Do they not trust the Guards, do they not believe in following a procedure do they know something the Guards don't know. Maybe they are too used to Kangaroo Courts and want to apply their own beliefs on everyone else.

Leo should have been sacked as a Minister for the leaking of the document in the first place. No one will trust him to keep his mouth shut when having dealings with him.

As for the garda investigation. He has already admitted he leaked them. Thats a sacking offence for a minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

They are a "pro-whatever the populist wind blows" party.

SF has a history of abdicating responsibility so long as it can appeal to people and ignore difficult but necessary choices.

Way back a decade ago they wanted to burn the bondholders and have us follow Syriza- nice but biting the ECB hand that feeds us didn't work so well for the Greeks.
    Looming Pensions crisis - let's vote against that in case they lose some votes.
    Water charges - That's ok in NI, just rename it to Rates.
    Housing crisis - nimby objections as usual.

Personally, I am pro choice, but the abortion legislation in NI is a lot more liberal than what it is down here. 24 weeks is very late for an abortion for anything other than the life of the mother being at stake or that the baby won't survive after birth. Certainly not if the parents want to abort the baby because it is Down Syndrome. I would also bear in mind that people in NI (both catholics and protestants) are a bit more conservative than people down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

I agree, he should be sacked but i think MM is too weak and if he sacks Varadkar then it would bring the government down and it would be the end of him

jm08 wrote: »
    Leo should have been sacked as a Minister for the leaking of the document in the first place. No one will trust him to keep his mouth shut when having dealings with him.

As for the garda investigation. He has already admitted he leaked them. Thats a sacking offence for a minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

markodaly wrote: »

She's biased towards her own party? :confused:

MLMD must answer for the deaths caused by an organisation that no longer exists during a period when she was a toddler, because she's a democratically elected politician in another jurisdiction and FF/FG/Greens are desperate to deflect... :rolleyes:

Yes, Sinn Féin is entirely committed to peace.

Was FG/Lab put a dissident in the Senate.
    They'll take a piss on the GFA if it suits.

• Advertisement

SF very quiet on Twitter today since they voted to abstain on a DUP vote to restrict reproductive health options in Northern Ireland. They are an extremely partitionist party when it suits them. Going down like a lead balloon amongst some of the younger voters who have been seduced by their populism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

...and never a word spoken about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The obsession with Maria Cahill knows no bound or end among some folk.

Again, in the week that we had where gender-based violence was given a thorough airing, we still have people using her as some political pawn when she herself was a victim of sexual assault and abuse by powerful men in SF/PIRA.

Honest question, why are people (usually men) who seem to support SF hate this woman so much and use her in almost any argument, when no one even mentioned her in any shape or form?
    Is there some sort of unconscious misogyny going on here?
    Is sexual assault and abuse funny to some?

The obsession with Maria Cahill knows no bound or end among some folk.

Again, in the week that we had where gender-based violence was given a thorough airing, we still have people using her as some political pawn when she herself was a victim of sexual assault and abuse by powerful men in SF/PIRA.

Honest question, why are people (usually men) who seem to support SF hate this woman so much and use her in almost any argument, when no one even mentioned her in any shape or form?
    Is there some sort of unconscious misogyny going on here?
    Is sexual assault and abuse funny to some?

Agreed. I call it out all the time.

True, it's disgusting quite frankly.
    Don't know of any SF folk convicted.

I raised her in relation to her being a dissident and gifted a senate seat.
    Why do some people (mostly men) only see her and use her as a victim of sexual assault? Is that all the woman is? What about her personality, her intelligence, her politics?
    Why do people (mostly men) who seem to support FG, use people as victims for pawns in discussions that often don't relate to them?

I say 'mostly men' to point out the using of misogyny to try win an argument nobody else is having. It's low grade and quite despicable to belittle such important issues to try score points in often unrelated discussion.
    Why use victims of violence and their families as convenient pawns? Is it a lack of respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Agreed. I call it out all the time.

Then why did you bring her up as a pejorative?
    She is on public record in regards to her short and abrupt time in the RSU, where she was vulnerable after coming clean in regards to the abuse she suffered.
    Yet, this is being used as a continuous negative against her as a way to get a dig into FG (it was Labour who nominated her to the Seanad by the way.)
    So again, I ask, why did you bring her up, AGAIN, when no one asks you to?

True, it's disgusting quite frankly.

Then you will do us the honour of answering the question possed above honestly.
    Why use victims of violence and their families as convenient pawns? Is it a lack of respect?

Oh the irony in that sentence.

Then why did you bring her up as a pejorative?
    She is on public record in regards to her short and abrupt time in the RSU, where she was vulnerable after coming clean in regards to the abuse she suffered.
    Yet, this is being used as a continuous negative against her as a way to get a dig into FG (it was Labour who nominated her to the Seanad by the way.)
    So again, I ask, why did you bring her up, AGAIN, when no one asks you to?

Then you will do us the honour of answering the question possed above honestly.

Oh the irony in that sentence.

We were discussing the GFA. FG/Lab made a dissident Republican, opposed to the GFA a senator. I believe that's relevant.
    Why did you use her abuse to try counter a point on the GFA? Why are you persisting in using her in such a manner?
    It's a matter of record that a person who was a dissident Republican opposed to the GFA, was gifted a senate seat by FG/Lab. I cited it in reference to the credibility of FG.

Answered above.
    You have yet to address her continued abuse by people like yourself set on confining her to the role of abuse victim to be used when convenient regardless of how frivolous the conversation might be.

Am I to believe in a conversation about the GFA and my raising Maria Cahill as a former dissident/anti-GFA person gifted a senate seat, that you honestly care or genuinely have concern for any conscious or unconscious misogyny? I don't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

"“The private member’s bill that is being debated today does nothing to address the immediate need to deal with that deficit in compassionate healthcare for women,” O’Neill said."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

...and never a word spoken about it.

Not this again.

I am fed up with the repeated slurs on this woman abused by the PIRA, Sinn Fein and betrayed by Gerry Adams, a man well-used to protecting child abusers.

The slurs are based on a discredited Guardian article written by a SF shill, for which they have apologised to her. Those who repeat it on here are just the lowest of the low.

maccored wrote: »
    "“The private member’s bill that is being debated today does nothing to address the immediate need to deal with that deficit in compassionate healthcare for women,” O’Neill said."

SF abstained from a vote that will limit reproductive healthcare for women in Northern Ireland. That's the long and the short of it. Sided yet again with the DUP when it suits them.

Saying one thing down South, and something completely different up North. Partitionist party. Spoofers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

SF very quiet on Twitter today since they voted to abstain on a DUP vote to restrict reproductive health options in Northern Ireland. They are an extremely partitionist party when it suits them. Going down like a lead balloon amongst some of the younger voters who have been seduced by their populism.

It is an astonishing betrayal of women by Sinn Fein. Once again, they have shown themselves to be no better than the DUP. In fact, you could argue that they are far worse. With the DUP you get what it says on the can, with SF the insides of the can are full of sh!t.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

for a party that claim to be all about unity they have made a long habit of speaking out of both sides of their mouths .

I guess it depends how the wind is blowing with bottom of the barrel populists like sf , which is the kindest description you can have of the "organisation"

SF abstained from a vote that will limit reproductive healthcare for women in Northern Ireland. That's the long and the short of it. Sided yet again with the DUP when it suits them.

Saying one thing down South, and something completely different up North. Partitionist party. Spoofers.

Have you an argument to put to O'Neill's reasoning for abstaining?

Have you an argument to put to O'Neill's reasoning for abstaining?

'We are abstaining on a vote that will take away reproductive rights for women in NI, and pretend we are doing it because we want to put forward our own more liberal legislation'.

Appalling decision, and I'd be interested in knowing why they abstained? Did Gerry Kelly (a pro-lifer!!!) whip the party into line?

'We are abstaining on a vote that will take away reproductive rights for women in NI, and pretend we are doing it because we want to put forward our own more liberal legislation'.

Appalling decision, and I'd be interested in knowing why they abstained? Did Gerry Kelly (a pro-lifer!!!) whip the party into line?

you have no counter argument then yet you insist on pontificating on something of which you have no knowledge on. Glad we cleared that up.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Not this again.

I am fed up with the repeated slurs on this woman abused by the PIRA, Sinn Fein and betrayed by Gerry Adams, a man well-used to protecting child abusers.

The slurs are based on a discredited Guardian article written by a SF shill, for which they have apologised to her. Those who repeat it on here are just the lowest of the low.

So maybe stop using her victimhood to defend bad policy?

Can you cite were anyone bar yourself and Marko have abused the woman?

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is an astonishing betrayal of women by Sinn Fein. Once again, they have shown themselves to be no better than the DUP. In fact, you could argue that they are far worse. With the DUP you get what it says on the can, with SF the insides of the can are full of sh!t.

Is this the same Sinn Fein led by a woman in the north and another woman in the south and Varadkar says hate men? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Is this the same Sinn Fein led by a woman in the north and another woman in the south and Varadkar says hate men? :confused:
    :rolleyes: led - Two sock puppets more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

jm08 wrote: »
    Personally, I am pro choice, but the abortion legislation in NI is a lot more liberal than what it is down here. 24 weeks is very late for an abortion for anything other than the life of the mother being at stake or that the baby won't survive after birth. Certainly not if the parents want to abort the baby because it is Down Syndrome. I would also bear in mind that people in NI (both catholics and protestants) are a bit more conservative than people down here.

So maybe they should have voted for the bill.

So maybe they should have voted against the bill.

:rolleyes: led - Two sock puppets more like.

There's a few posters see misogyny even when it's not there, but I suspect they'll not bother you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

There's a few posters see misogyny even when it's not there, but I suspect they'll not bother you.

Ah twisting it into what happens to be populist at the moment- wouldn’t be like SF now would it . Wouldn’t matter if it was two men in the positions- they would still be sock puppets .

Advertisement