Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You seemed to have ignored the main part of my post, but that's to be expected i suppose. Point being that Mary Lou seems to think she has some special role which requires a response from the Taoiseach. But that isn't the case as this isn't Westminster, and there is no such role with such rights here.

The Taoiseach is required to respond to McDonald as much as he is required to respond to Danny Healy Rae. It's a multi party Republic here.

That is the point that Gary Gannon of the SDs is making.

No, you’ve changed your argument as you were caught out and proved wrong.

Martin can ignore her all he likes, FF are becoming an irrelevance under him. He’s almost finished and will be pushed out internally soon enough after leaving office. FF are in dire need of reinventing and reinvigorating themselves, FG are destroying them in attracting a younger more urban vote, FF are careering backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,866 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Who are you accusing of being arrogant here? I'm not sure what relevance FG have here either, I haven't seen any FG members commenting on it. Gary Gannon is SD not FG, just in case you are confused.

The refusal to see that the party that got the largest share of the vote have a mandate is arrogant. Whereever that comes from, and to me it is most prevalent in those who defend FG here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

No, you’ve changed your argument as you were caught out and proved wrong.

Martin can ignore her all he likes, FF are becoming an irrelevance under him. He’s almost finished and will be pushed out internally soon enough after leaving office. FF are in dire need of reinventing and reinvigorating themselves, FG are destroying them in attracting a younger more urban vote, FF are careering backwards.

Nope. No argument change. Apologies if you understood my post incorrectly.

Leader of the Opposition is not a thing and Mary Lou does not have any special right to a response because of an unofficial term. It is an official position in Westminster, to try and use it to claim she deserves a response in Ireland is just incorrect, as Gary Gannon of the Social Democrats rightly pointed out.

She has as much right to a response as any other TD not in Government. Disrespectful to the SDs and other non government parties to claim otherwise.

It wasn't even a major point I was making, but it seems to have rightly rubbed some up the wrong way here for some reason.

The refusal to see that the party that got the largest share of the vote have a mandate is arrogant. Whereever that comes from, and to me it is most prevalent in those who defend FG here.

Weird tangent you have made, but I will play ball. What mandate do they have? They are not in Government.

What mandate do they have? They are not in Government.

??

They are mandated by those who voted for them. Do you understand what a democracy is?

• Advertisement

??

They are mandated by those who voted for them. Do you understand what a democracy is?

Clearly I don't. Can you spell it out for me thanks?

Can you also clarify why you are calling people arrogant for pointing out that 'Leader of the Opposition' isn't a thing in Ireland and McDonald has no special rights for a response from Government over anyone else. A factual statement. I wouldn't see Gary Gannon as being an overly arrogant individual, if at all.

You seem to have glossed over that when tangenting to an opposition party having a mandate.

Thanks

Clearly I don't. Can you spell it out for me thanks?

Can you also clarify why you are calling people arrogant for pointing out that 'Leader of the Opposition' isn't a thing in Ireland and McDonald has no special rights for a response from Government over anyone else. A factual statement. I wouldn't see Gary Gannon as being an overly arrogant individual, if at all.

You seem to have glossed over that when tangenting to an opposition party having a mandate.

Thanks

What?

Nobody is saying here that she has a 'right' to a response.

What everyone has a right to is respect for whatever mandate they have from free and democratic elections.

You can try and muddy the waters with pedantry if you wish. Gannon's pedantry was pointed out to him in the comments on that tweet adequately enough. Refer to them rather than me rehashing them.

What?

Nobody is saying here that she has a 'right' to a response.

What everyone has a right to is respect for whatever mandate they have from free and democratic elections.

You can try and muddy the waters with pedantry if you wish. Gannon's pedantry was pointed out to him in the comments on that tweet adequately enough. Refer to them rather than me rehashing them.

McDonald said yesterday "the Taoiseach's job is to deal with the leader of the opposition". It is not. The Taoiseach's job is set out in the Constitution. She thinks she has a special right to a response above others, when none exist. If she was in Westminster then she would have a point.

Still unable your backup your "arrogance" claim I see also. Standard disingenuous debating technique, attack the source when you don't like the information.

It wasn't even a major point I was making, but to see people getting very worked up over it here is very odd.

McDonald said yesterday "the Taoiseach's job is to deal with the leader of the opposition". It is not. The Taoiseach's job is set out in the Constitution. She thinks she has a special right to a response above others, when none exist. If she was in Westminster then she would have a point.

Still unable your backup your "arrogance" claim I see also. Standard disingenuous debating technique, attack the source when you don't like the information.

It wasn't even a major point I was making, but to see people getting very worked up over it here is very odd.

What do I need to supply as backup, but this latest attempt to silence the opposition. The pedantry of which you continue to indulge even after it was pointed out to you that Varadkar also spoke about 'leading the opposition' just as recently as the last election.
    It may not be an 'official' role but it is certainly in practice.

:) Now you will try and portray your faux pas as hitting a nerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,493 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Arrogance is the answer. FG in particular haven't gotten over the fact that SF are knocking at the gate and the cosy little 100 yr old power swap is over. Or they have realised it and are angry about it.

I must have been abroad when that election was held Francie.

Never over till it’s over, a chara.

• Advertisement

What do I need to supply as backup, but this latest attempt to silence the opposition. The pedantry of which you continue to indulge even after it was pointed out to you that Varadkar also spoke about 'leading the opposition' just as recently as the last election.
    It may not be an 'official' role but it is certainly in practice.

:) Now you will try and portray your faux pas as hitting a nerve.

Nobody is attempting to "silence the opposition". The only people i have seen making an issue of it is other opposition. Gary Gannon is in the opposition and he is the only sitting TD I have seen actually bring it up (a former Labour TD also said it, another opposition party, but he isn't a current TD). If your claim is that Gary is attempting to silence himself then that is certainly an unusual argument for you to make.

If you could actually deal with facts, rather than whatever it is you are doing, you'd get a lot further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What parts of the bill should he criticise?

Ask him. He's the one taking a stance with no knowledge of it.

You seem very worked up mate, are you alright? I'm just wondering why they seem to be using the term and thinking there is some special privilege that comes with it, when their isn't.

There is no such thing as 'Leader of the Opposition in Ireland. McDonald seems to think the Taoiseach is required to answer her because of her role, based on what she was saying yesterday, except there is no such role in the Constitution. She has the same right to a response from the Taoiseach as any other TD in the Dail, nothing more or less. Very different to the Leader of the Opposition that other countries have, such as in Westminster.

Gary Gannon of the SDs seems to have find it odd also. Clearly he sees it as disrespectful to the SDs and other parties not in Government.

I'm okay hun'.
    Not worked up, it was jaded disbelief at the petty pedantic nature of the angle taken.
    She is the leader of the main opposition party. Therefore she can say leader of the opposition, maybe she should have said 'main'. Also in that role it is her duty to call out the government, which was her point. We know SF aren't the only opposition party. Acting like she's trying to fool us into thinking it's just SF, is ridiculous. Desperate for dirt lads.

I'm okay hun'.
    Not worked up, it was jaded disbelief at the petty pedantic nature of the angle taken.
    She is the leader of the main opposition party. Therefore she can say leader of the opposition, maybe she should have said 'main'. Also in that role it is her duty to call out the government, which was her point. We know SF aren't the only opposition party. Acting like she's trying to fool us into thinking it's just SF, is ridiculous. Desperate for dirt lads.

I don't think it's fair to say Gary Gannon is desperate for dirt.

Nobody is attempting to "silence the opposition".

This pedantic and arrogant petulance that she dared call herself something Varadkar called himself (no outcry about it when he did it) is all the back up required IMO.
    It is an arrogant refusal to recognise her status and mandate to do what an opposition and a duty to do. Whether you or I agree with it or not.

This pedantic and arrogant petulance that she dared call herself something Varadkar called himself (no outcry about it when he did it) is all the back up required IMO.
    It is an arrogant refusal to recognise her status and mandate to do what an opposition and a duty to do. Whether you or I agree with it or not.

There you go again claiming Gary Gannon of the Social Democrats is arrogant. And now also petulant. Very unfair on the man.

Bottom of the barrel debate technique. No attempt to debate the facts, just attack the source.

There you go again claiming Gary Gannon of the Social Democrats is arrogant. And now also petulant. Very unfair on the man.

Bottom of the barrel debate technique. No attempt to debate the facts, just attack the source.

Since when did Gary Gannon become an oracle on these matters? And it is noted how you are trying to reverse away from endorsing his view.

Since when did Gary Gannon become an oracle on these matters? And it is noted how you are trying to reverse away from endorsing his view.

What? I agree with what he said, because it was factual. Where am I reversing away? Are you living in a different reality or something, because your posts seem to suggest that.

Back to your statement calling Gary Gannon petulant and arrogant. Seems a bit of a big statement to make about him over such a small point, can you clarify why you find him to be a petulant and arrogant man? He seems like a solid Social Democrats TD to me that may feature in our next coalition Government.

What? I agree with what he said, because it was factual. Where am I reversing away? Are you living in a different reality or something, because your posts seem to suggest that.

Back to your statement calling Gary Gannon petulant and arrogant. Seems a bit of a big statement to make about him over such a small point, can you clarify why you find him to be a petulant and arrogant man? He seems like a solid Social Democrats TD to me that may feature in our next coalition Government.

Well it applies to both of you then.

Where were you both when Leo made the same remarks?

It's different only because it is SF...which is an arrogant position to hold.

Well it applies to both of you then.

Where were you both when Leo made the same remarks?

It's different only because it is SF...which is an arrogant position to hold.

So now you are calling me arrogant and petulant? Not a very nice debating technique I must say.

Also don't see why you are once again bringing FG into it when it is something a SD TD said about a comment by the SF leader. Seems to be a bit of...deflection. But I'll pander to you...I don't recall Varadkar ever claiming to have a right to a response from a Taoiseach whilst potentially leading the largest opposition party. If he did then he would also be incorrect, as the role doesn't have such rights assigned to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Weird tangent you have made, but I will play ball. What mandate do they have? They are not in Government.

There was a carve up of speaking time in the Dail where speaking time is given according to the party's mandate. So for instance, if each TD was given 1 minutes speaking time, each party would get 1* min x number of their TDs in the Dail. Obviously this hasn't gone down well with the smaller parties like PFP and Soc. Democrats.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-motion-will-see-smaller-parties-silenced-in-dail-debates-1012767.html

*I have no idea what the actual time is. I think the way its worked out is that the Gov. get 1 hour and Sinn Fein then gets 35 minutes etc.

So now you are calling me arrogant and petulant? Not a very nice debating technique I must say.

Also don't see why you are once again bringing FG into it when it is something a SD TD said about a comment by the SF leader. Seems to be a bit of...deflection. But I'll pander to you...I don't recall Varadkar ever claiming to have a right to a response from a Taoiseach whilst potentially leading the largest opposition party. If he did then he would also be incorrect, as the role doesn't have such rights assigned to it.

Correct me if I am wrong but I see no mention of a 'right' here.
    the Taoiseach’s job to deal with the leader of the opposition. His response is arrogant and high handed” - she says she’s written to him 12 times this year, on issues like vaccine rollout, Brexit, protocol ... wants to know which of them is a waste of his time

or here

https://twitter.com/MaryLouMcDonald/status/1371939117039247360

I don't think it's fair to say Gary Gannon is desperate for dirt.

I was talking about you mostly. It's a nothing side track.

MM has a civic duty to respect and acknowledge the public and their representatives. He doesn't have to by any rule but it would be mature and adult to do so. Ignoring or dismissing a public representative because its not your team is not going to get us anywhere.

Its a load a bollo to try make off it IMO. Not worked up just realising the kind of sad things people are willing to raise.
    People like yourself have more issues with this than Varadkar leaking to his pal. Says a lot.

I was talking about you mostly. It's a nothing side track.

Very good James. As polite as always.

Very good James. As polite as always.

You raised it. I was responding to you. If you can glean an insult off that...who's getting worked up?

You raised it. I was responding to you. It you can glean an insult off that...who's getting worked up?

You just can't help but be insulting in your posts James. Bottom of the barrel debating technique. I'll leave you at it.

Facts are that there is no such thing of Leader of the Opposition in the Constitution and McDonald's comment of the Taoiseach's role being to deal with her is not correct.

If that gets you worked up to the extent of insults then that's on you, not me.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,912 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nobody is attempting to "silence the opposition". The only people i have seen making an issue of it is other opposition. Gary Gannon is in the opposition and he is the only sitting TD I have seen actually bring it up (a former Labour TD also said it, another opposition party, but he isn't a current TD). If your claim is that Gary is attempting to silence himself then that is certainly an unusual argument for you to make.

If you could actually deal with facts, rather than whatever it is you are doing, you'd get a lot further.

Gary Gannon's comments once again show how far away Mary-Lou is from being able to put together a coherent coalition. Her leadership skills and ability to bring people with her are very poor.

As for the leadership of the opposition nonsense, it looks like on this day of days that Sinn Fein are more British than the British themselves.

You just can't help but be insulting in your posts James. Bottom of the barrel debating technique. I'll leave you at it.

Facts are that there is no such thing of Leader of the Opposition in the Constitution and McDonald's comment of the Taoiseach's role being to deal with her is not correct.

If that gets you worked up to the extent of insults then that's on you, not me.

Good luck.

I'd appreciate if you reported me and cut the pretence.
    I'm not the one raised it. You raised a silly point and it was responded to.

• Advertisement

I'd appreciate if you reported me and cut the pretence.
    I'm not the one raised it. You raised a silly point and it was responded to.

I raised a perfectly valid point about there being no special role that McDonald has which makes it the Taoiseach's job to deal with her, as she put it. Factual and an opinion shared by Gary Gannon and others in opposition. We are a multi party Republic.

The fact you got worked up over it the way you did says an awful lot.

Advertisement