Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I raised a perfectly valid point about there being no special role that McDonald has which makes it the Taoiseach's job to deal with her, as she put it. Factual and an opinion shared by Gary Gannon and others in opposition. We are a multi party Republic.

The fact you got worked up over it the way you did says an awful lot.

Boss, you keep saying I'm worked up. I'm not. I don't know where you are seeing all this rudness or what ever. I think its a lame pedantic non issue thats all. I don't care what Gary Gannon said, I've my own opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,866 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I raised a perfectly valid point about there being no special role that McDonald has which makes it the Taoiseach's job to deal with her, as she put it. Factual and an opinion shared by Gary Gannon and others in opposition. We are a multi party Republic.

The fact you got worked up over it the way you did says an awful lot.

Did you forget to back up where McDonald claimed she had a 'right'?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

McDonald said yesterday "the Taoiseach's job is to deal with the leader of the opposition". It is not. The Taoiseach's job is set out in the Constitution. She thinks she has a special right to a response above others, when none exist. If she was in Westminster then she would have a point.

Still unable your backup your "arrogance" claim I see also. Standard disingenuous debating technique, attack the source when you don't like the information.

It wasn't even a major point I was making, but to see people getting very worked up over it here is very odd.

This.

MLMD thinks she is in government and can dictate policy and the like. She is wrong of course.

Good point made by Garry Gannon, from the SD's. People should be in favour of it since loads of people vote for the SD's. Am I right? ;)

It is an arrogant refusal to recognise her status and mandate to do what an opposition and a duty to do. Whether you or I agree with it or not.

What duty does the opposition have as per Bunreacht na hÉireann?
    Or, is this another attempt by SF to claim something that is not true. As Republicans, you would think they know their constitution back to front, but I guess not.

markodaly wrote: »
    What duty does the opposition have as per Bunreacht na hÉireann?
    Or, is this another attempt by SF to claim something that is not true. As Republicans, you would think they know their constitution back to front, but I guess not.

This is just more of the arrogant 'sit quiet we are the power swap'.

An opposition has a duty to hold the government to account and have, so you may get used to it.

• Advertisement

This is just more of the arrogant 'sit quiet we are the power swap'.

An opposition has a duty to hold the government to account and have, so you may get used to it.

That is not the question I asked. I asked what duty does the opposition have as per Bunreacht na hÉireann.

That is not the question I asked. I asked what duty does the opposition have as per Bunreacht na hÉireann.

There are duties required off people that are not covered in BnE mark. You introduced that as some arbitrary requirement. Silly stuff tbh. The 'opposition' has been holding government to account since the state was founded. It isn't the cosy nod and wink type anymore. Maybe that is what has you riled up...a real opposition? A former Taoiseach and Tainaiste under criminal investigation has had it's effects obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

There are duties required off people that are not covered in BnE mark. You introduced that as some arbitrary requirement. Silly stuff tbh. The 'opposition' has been holding government to account since the state was founded. It isn't the cosy nod and wink type anymore. Maybe that is what has you riled up...a real opposition? A former Taoiseach and Tainaiste under criminal investigation has had it's effects obviously.

The Dáil is elected by the people

The Taoiseach is elected by the elected Dáil and the cabinet is appointed by the Taoiseach. This forms the government.

So long as the government has the confidence of the Dáil it remains the government.

Officially there is no distinction between TDs in the Dáil based on their political affiliation. The government is accountable to all 160 TDs.

No TD has any special rights to be answered by the government over any other TD.

You introduced that as some arbitrary requirement. Silly stuff tbh.

Arbitrary? Are you saying the rules and process about our state and Dail as defined in Bunreacht na hÉireann are 'arbitrary'?
    Quite an about turn.

The Dáil is elected by the people

The Taoiseach is elected by the elected Dáil and the cabinet is appointed by the Taoiseach. This forms the government.

So long as the government has the confidence of the Dáil it remains the government.

Officially there is no distinction between TDs in the Dáil based on their political affiliation. The government is accountable to all 160 TDs.

No TD has any special rights to be answered by the government over any other TD.

Can you show were McDonald said anything about a 'right'?

You guys have invented something to rail about. It hilarious frankly.

I'm delighted, finally an opposition capable of unsettling the cosy nod and wink culture of the power swap. Red letter day.

• Advertisement

Can you show were McDonald said anything about a 'right'?

I'm delighted, finally an opposition capable of unsettling the cosy nod and wink culture of the power swap. Red letter day.

Did she literally not say she was the leader of the opposition and had to be responded to?

It's up to the government who they respond to. All they need is the support of the majority of the house.

Once again, Sinn Féin "won" an election and "have" a mandate for power yet they did nothing with that mandate and allowed the power swap.

They're out of the picture, they ran away from the responsibility of doing something with the pandemic and let their 535,000 voters down.

On a separate note, it is really hard to imagine Mary Lou or Pearse representing us as well as Micheál did with President Biden today.

His speech was balanced and dignified while getting his point across. He really did us proud.

If you mean 'you guys' when you are referring to Garry Gannon from the Social Democrats, who seem to attract huge support from many here, including you.
    Garry Gannon and the SD's are also part of the opposition.

This.

MLMD thinks she is in government and can dictate policy and the like. She is wrong of course.

Good point made by Garry Gannon, from the SD's. People should be in favour of it since loads of people vote for the SD's. Am I right? ;)

Ah makes sense now. You think if someone gives a party a vote they automatically go along with what ever any of them says or does. Thats weird dude.

If you mean 'you guys' when you are referring to Garry Gannon from the Social Democrats, who seem to attract huge support from many here, including you.
    Garry Gannon and the SD's are also part of the opposition.

Not once will you find me hugely supporting him or the SD's.
    That is yet another lie.

Ah makes sense now. You think if someone gives a party a vote they automatically go along with what ever any of them says or does. Thats weird dude.

So you disagree with Garry and the SD's on this, when he is actually correct.

Not once will you find me hugely supporting him or the SD's.
    That is yet another lie.

The SD's seem to get very favourable support and coverage here, when it suits of course. :pac:

The SD's seem to get very favourable support and coverage here, when it suits of course. :pac:

You claimed I had supported them, you lied.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Perhaps he made a mistake.

rdwight wrote: »
    Perhaps he made a mistake.

Perhaps he once again declined an opportunity to correct his 'mistake'?

• Advertisement

So you disagree with Garry and the SD's on this, when he is actually correct.

Yes, I disagree that it's important or any kind of an issue TBH. Pride might be hurt and she might have said 'main' opposition. But that's it.

That describes me.
    If a party says or does something you don't like, well, don't like it. It's great. It means you're not making an ejit of yourself backing things you might not support.
    That's how the majority of the electorate and myself roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Seems there's a lot of toing and frowing about McDonald' having the cheek and audacity to think she's the leader of the main opposition party.......

Leo Varadkar says he'll most likely be the leader of the opposition after the next government is formed
    Speaking outside Dublin Castle he said: “I think the likelihood, at the end of the process, I will be leader of the opposition and that will require my new parliamentary party. I still want to do that.

Has anyone had the nerve to inform him "that's not even an actual thing here" yet?

Of all the things to be faux outraged by lads. :D

You gave the SD's support here on boards.ie, support can be wide-ranging. But I guess when the SD's go after SF its revert to type.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Seems there's a lot of toing and frowing about McDonald' having the cheek and audacity to think she's the leader of the main opposition party.......

Leo Varadkar says he'll most likely be the leader of the opposition after the next government is formed

Has anyone had the nerve to inform him "that's not even an actual thing here" yet?

Best direct that to the Mega Social Democratic's thread.... if there is one.
    If not, people are free to create it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Best direct that to the Mega Social Democratic's thread.... if there is one.
    If not, people are free to create it. :pac:

I never even mentioned the Social Democrats in my post. What have they got to do with what I posted?

We're discussing McDonald's assertion that she's leader of the oppositon following the result of the last election, and Leos assertion that he expected to be leader of the opposition following the result of the same election:confused:

Sure you might as well throw in labour and Renua there too if it's a distraction tactic you're going with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

*proceeds to post about Madigan's comments about the Kerryman paper moments later without a hint of irony*

:pac:

You gave the SD's support here on boards.ie, support can be wide-ranging. But I guess when the SD's go after SF its revert to type.

Where?

Back it up...third time asking.

I never even mentioned the Social Democrats in my post. What have they got to do with what I posted?

Em, because the very origin of the discussion was a comment made by Garry Gannon, a Social Democrat TD. No one in FG mentioned it, yet people seem to attribute it to FG.. odd and weird I must say.

So, yes, the root of the discussion was a SD TD making a comment about the leader of the opposition. Best discuss it either here or in the SD mega thread.

• Advertisement

Oh deary deary me :D

The outrage will seep away and the goal post shifting will begin....
    Classic Leo. Good man.

Advertisement