Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This is disrespectful and dangerous to be using such a serious issue to try distract or deflect.
    If anyone is critical of MLMD or any other woman they should be free to be so inclined. Women should be respected and given the same validity as men.
    Pretending or suggesting any criticism is based in misogyny is demeaning to people genuinely speaking out on such matters.
    Using misogyny in such an off the cuff unverified manner shouldn't be allowed IMO.

I think you should re-read my post again. Do you deny that female politicians get more stick than their male counterparts? That there is Zero sexism at play when it comes to some female TD's and commentary about it on social media and the like?

Of course, there is, and that is what I was referring to. You seem even defensive about even pointing out the sometimes obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

markodaly wrote: »
    What does this even have to do with Leo?
    This is a SF thread.

I spelt it out in the very reply you just quoted. :confused:

Following the last election, Leo Varadkar is on record of wanting to be leader of the oppositon. No issue.

MLMD referenced herself as leader of the oppositon, following the same election. - issue apparently.

The two things aren't comparable to each other don't you think, no?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Lol accuse me of something and then say "we will leave it there" when asked to back it up.

How about this, next time you are upset or confused about one of my posts, you should maybe just try to ignore it and move on. Save everyone a lot of hassle and saves me from having to deal with the uncivilness.

I wasn't upset or confused, you posted something that was factually incorrect, I.E "leader of the opposition is not a thing here", it is, and has been for decades.

What that loosely translates to, is you not wanting to have posts corrected.

That's an echo chamber however, if I want one of those I'll head to some Facebook group.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

McMurphy wrote: »

Following the last election, Leo Varadkar is on record of wanting to be leader of the oppositon. No issue.

MLMD referenced herself as leader of the oppositon, following the same election. - issue apparently.

Hmmmmm m

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-we-are-preparing-to-go-into-opposition-1.4176247

Little bit of light reading for you Randle.

Needs to be read kind of careful, horse...... rock on.

Hmmmmm m

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-we-are-preparing-to-go-into-opposition-1.4176247

Little bit of light reading for you Randle.

Needs to be read kind of careful, horse...... rock on.

Do you think that contradicts anything I said?

Pay particular attention to this bit bren.
    He said it was now Fine Gael’s job to lead the Opposition and provide a “strong opposition” in the Dáil. “It shouldn’t come to the fact that Fine Gael might be needed.”

Point it out if so bren, I'm all ears and eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You can believe what you want James, you'd swear I actually cared about what you believe.

Fair play to thinking so highly of me to claim I spotted the same thing as Gannon by coincidence though. Maybe there is a career in politics for me :D

No need to take offence. It's a discussion forum Bubs.

I called you out on peddling a non issue/making claims and you got upset. No upset was meant.

Following the last election, Leo Varadkar is on record of waiting to be leader of the oppositon. No issue.

Do you think that contradicts anything I said?

Pay particular attention to this bit bren.

Point it out if so bren, I'm all ears and eyes.

Where did he say in that IT excerpt ,Randle that he wanted to be, to quote your good self to be “leader or the opposition”

Have a rattle at it there.

I think you should re-read my post again. Do you deny that female politicians get more stick than their male counterparts? That there is Zero sexism at play when it comes to some female TD's and commentary about it on social media and the like?

Of course, there is, and that is what I was referring to. You seem even defensive about even pointing out the sometimes obvious.

That was not your claim. You claim they get criticised because they are women.
    If you can show quotes please report it.
    There's nothing honest about making vague unsubstantiated claims to try force an agenda.

I'm concerned about people using such things in a frivolous dishonest manner to try score points.

I suppose it's preferable to you speaking on MLMD now we know Leo did same.

Where did he say in that IT excerpt ,Randle that he wanted to be, to quote your good self to be “leader or the opposition”

Have a rattle at it there.

I'm using a phone to post bren....predictive text, wanting ≠ waiting.

Dam you got me good.

Except.....not quite.

Irish Times

Shortly before 8.30pm, Fine Gael released a statement which said Mr Varadkar told members of his parliamentary party that he “relishes the challenge” to lead a “strong and effective” Opposition in the new Dáil.

Relish.

Not just a burger condiment horse.

I'm using a phone to post bren....predictive text, wanting ≠ waiting.

Dam you got me good.

Except.....not quite.

Irish Times

Relish.

Not just a burger condiment horse.

Randle , my homie, I even told you to read it carefully.

I gave you the heads up.

Why are there no quotation marks around the ‘to lead’ section .

But no.... in you go studs up.

The Chief wouldn’t do that .......;)

• Advertisement

Randle , my homie, I even told you to read it carefully.

I gave you the heads up.

Why are there no quotation marks around the ‘to lead’ section .

But no.... in you go studs up.

The Chief wouldn’t do that .......;)

Seriously? Your argument has been reduced to "quotation marks"?

Fair enough. Guess it never happened if there's no quotation marks.... :D

BBC
    A statement from Fine Gael said that Mr Varadkar "relishes the challenge to lead a strong and effective opposition for the benefit of the country".

BBC not good enough?

How's about RTE?
    A statement from Fine Gael tonight said that Mr Varadkar "relishes the challenge to lead a strong and effective Opposition for the benefit of the country".

Hard to beat a dollop of relish.... Are you a ballymaloe man yourself bren? Tomato or corn?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,876 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Seriously? Your argument has been reduced to "quotation marks"?

Fair enough. Guess it never happened if there's no quotation marks.... :D

BBC

BBC not good enough?

How's about RTE?

Hard to beat a dollop of relish.... Are you a ballymaloe man yourself bren? Tomato or corn?

Break out a large jar, here is Leo actually saying it. What a cul de sac this debate has been. :):)

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1229508981128863749

Randle, me auld flower that little holiday has blunted your usually, in fairness, sharp response.

You said that Leo had expressed a desire to be ‘leader of the opposition ‘

Now study that carefully, it’s there in your post.

Now that is totally different, (ask Francie) from to ‘lead the opposition’ .

Randle, you got gutted and filleted here, horse that auld Nokia into the canal and invest in a Smartie.

Now before the mods warn us I guess I don’t need another holiday.

The auld quotation mark blunder comes back to haunt him..... Now it's a leader of the oppositon v lead the oppositon.

When I was younger I wanted to be a train driver..... Now I drive trains instead. FFS.

Reverse gear, full throttle!

No one wants to read the sort of stuff posted over the past few pages. Not good for the reputation of the site tbh. Maybe create a Leo Watch thread, and corral the regulars into it? Let the usual 6 or 7 suspects away with it, and allow no one else to post?

The auld quotation mark blunder comes back to haunt him..... Now it's a leader of the oppositon v lead the oppositon.

Take a rest Randle, doin this thread no good.....

No one wants to read the sort of stuff posted over the past few pages. Not good for the reputation of the site tbh. Maybe create a Leo Watch thread, and corral the regulars into it? Let the usual 6 or 7 suspects away with it, and allow no one else to post?

Totally agree with your first sentence Dr.

If people just accepted they were let’s say, ‘mistaken’ and left it that, you wouldn’t have the to and fro in these pages.

Sorry Doc..... I understand how you feel.

When I was younger I wanted to be a train driver..... Now I drive trains instead. FFS.

What would you call the person leading the opposition? The 'kingpin' of the opposition? The controller, head man, top dog? A real head scratcher that....

Harks back to redefining what 'confidential' means :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Take a rest Randle, doin this thread no good.....

Its the old assistant regional manager vs assistant to the regional manager routine.

The latter means you know your place. the former, if used when you haven't been so appointed, points to arrogance mixed with a clawing need for an inflated position. Sums MLM and Leo quite well.

There's a well worn tactic going on on this and other threads - make a claim, have your claim called out and exposed to be completely true and without merit.

Pretend your claim was something else entirely.

When the something else gets called out - introduce some other nonsense such as quotation marks, or some such.

When that is called out, go full trump and pretend you're still right and the other person's "made a mistake".

Others then chime in complaining about the content of the thread, I mean, seriouly....if only people would let others post unsubstantiated nonsense without them being challenged or corrected.

• Advertisement

Its the old assistant regional manager vs assistant to the regional manager routine.

The latter means you know your place. the former, if used when you haven't been so appointed, points to arrogance mixed with a clawing need for an inflated position. Sums MLM and Leo quite well.

Much simpler. The person leading the opposition would be the leader of the opposition. Folk are trying to claim they aren't the same thing when they clearly are.
    MLMD should have said 'main' IMO. Leo should have said he relished being in opposition as FG were third.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

There's a well worn tactic going on on this and other threads - make a claim, have your claim called out and exposed to be completely true and without merit.

Pretend your claim was something else entirely.

When the something else gets called out - introduce some other nonsense such as quotation marks, or some such.

When that is called out, go full trump and pretend you're still right and the other person's "made a mistake".

Others then chime in complaining about the content of the thread, I mean, seriouly....if only people would let others post unsubstantiated nonsense without them being challenged or corrected.

Mod

You are done in this thread. Dont post again. Constant whataboutery and going after posters rather than posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,928 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The 'I wasn't ranting, others were' argument to cover yourself here and your failed attempt to misrepresent what was said (A 'right) and it being embarrassingly pointed out that FG's leader said the same thing about being 'leader of the opposition' is not very convincing in fairness.

Do you now agree that McDonald never said it was a 'right' and that other party leaders have seen themselves as 'leaders of the opposition'?

Do I understand this correctly?

The concept of "leader of the opposition" is a British construct, and you think that it is ok for Sinn Fein to adopt it because the party of what many SF supporters refer to as West Brits previously claimed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

blanch152 wrote: »

The concept of "leader of the opposition" is a British construct, and you think that it is ok for Sinn Fein to adopt it because the party of what many SF supporters refer to as West Brits previously claimed it?

This is the overall point I guess that Garry Gannon was making.
    As per our Constitution, there is no such thing as 'Leader of the Opposition. Some make out as if he questions the laws of gravity.

It has been established through back up and links that it is the convention here and other leaders assume the role. If you wish to get hung up on it being a British thing...go ahead.

This is the overall point I guess that Garry Gannon was making.
    As per our Constitution, there is no such thing as 'Leader of the Opposition. Some make out as if he questions the laws of gravity.

It is important to remember that Gary Gannon is in the same constituency as Mary Lou, and when her transfers went to Christy Burke, Gannon was under pressure to win the last seat.
    I suspect Gary was, like others here, having a cheap political shot for political gain. No surprises there. All politics are local and a cheap shot is a cheap shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,928 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It has been established through back up and links that it is the convention here and other leaders assume the role. If you wish to get hung up on it being a British thing...go ahead.

It is a British construct, imported in recent years to Ireland and used by Fine Gael.

I must say that it is great progress to see Sinn Fein and their supporters get on board with this. We should not ignore our British heritage, but embrace it.

It is a British construct, imported in recent years to Ireland and used by Fine Gael.

I must say that it is great progress to see Sinn Fein and their supporters get on board with this. We should not ignore our British heritage, but embrace it.

Absolutely, SF are to fore here in maintaining artefacts of our British heritage, most recently a planter castle...ignored for decades by the FG FF councils.

I have no difficulty with the British heritage here, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

WTF...is this a lesson in semantics or wha?

• Advertisement

dontmindme wrote: »
    WTF...is this a lesson in semantics or wha?

It's good old fashioned exceptionalism. Something is fine when FG do or say it, but if the Shinner bogeymen/women do it...man the keyboards.

Advertisement