Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,928 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Does this not refer to the leader of each separate speaking group? There is no single "leader of the opposition".

Technically there is no official "opposition". For practical purposes to ensure that every voice is heard and to increase accountability, the leader of government will answer questions in the house from the elected representatives but no one group has more right/purpose to hold the government to account than any other.

Yeah, it is pretty much as you describe.

A classic epic fail to try and pull something out of the Oireachtas website that disproves your point. I am sure they will be back with some other attempt to show that Mary-Lou is entitled to call herself the Leader of the Opposition. Perhaps the Act of Union had something in it?

Yes, and if they don't perform my vote, which nobody has ever owned, will go elsewhere.

But perform and do what exactly?

It seems like Sinn Fein have had a simple approach to politics

1. Slag everyone else off
    2. Get into power
    3. Appoint ex-prisoners to cushy numbers as they have done in the North
    4. Border poll
    5. ???????
    6. Free everything for everybody

There is nothing else to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

blanch152 wrote: »

2. Get into power
    4. Border poll
    5. ???????

aw now , to be fair they do seem fairly good at producing money from "questionable sources " for the party at least ,

if they can do that for the whole country it might be helpful :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,876 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

2. Get into power
    4. Border poll
    5. ???????

Then clearly your option is don't vote for them...it's welcome to the same old old brave new world for you. Only in super concentrated chaotic form ...as we have seen. Gardai involved now I hear.

Then clearly your option is don't vote for them...it's welcome to the same old old brave new world for you. Only in super concentrated chaotic form ...as we have seen. Gardai involved now I hear.

I expected a response that said something along the lines that Sinn Fein stand for women's rights (except in the North), property tax (except in the South), higher social welfare (except in the North), higher corporation tax (except in the South), the abolition of water charges (except in the North), at least then we would have a clear picture.

• Advertisement

I expected a response that said something along the lines that Sinn Fein stand for women's rights (except in the North), property tax (except in the South), higher social welfare (except in the North), higher corporation tax (except in the South), the abolition of water charges (except in the North), at least then we would have a clear picture.

I would expect any student of politics to look at a party's popularity with the electorate in each county/constituency/jurisdiction they run in and realise they must be doing something right for those electorates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

markodaly wrote: »
    Again, nothing to do with FG.

Have a chat to the SD's about it.

Agreed. Once again, it was stated opposition leader wasn't a thing. Varadkar was given as an example having used the term. I don't believe he's a SD.
    Now debunked, I see folk have moved on to school yard slagging at the 'I know you are, what am I?' level, which is very Fine Gael of late.

I would expect any student of politics to look at a party's popularity with the electorate in each county/constituency/jurisdiction they run in and realise they must be doing something right for those electorates.

that's a fairly good definition of short sighted populist politics

• Registered Users Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Paddy Holohan is gone from Sinn Fein https://www.independent.ie/news/controversial-councillor-paddy-holohan-no-longer-a-member-of-sinn-fein-40216314.html who will they run in that LEA in the next local elections?

he's trying to claim he wasn't encourage the breaking of public health regulations/laws https://twitter.com/Taiwo_Oifigiuil/status/1372919751031320584 he clearly was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Paddy Holohan is gone from Sinn Fein https://www.independent.ie/news/controversial-councillor-paddy-holohan-no-longer-a-member-of-sinn-fein-40216314.html who will they run in that LEA in the next local elections?

""Paddy Holohan has chosen not to renew his membership of the party,” a spokesperson for the party told Independent.ie."

I'd assume his potential to renew the membership was on the condition of copping on, and he declined the opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

That is the only policy that counts. Youth sinn fein members are instructed by senior IRA members to infiltrate sports clubs, community groups, school boards etc, all with the express purpose of campaigning in this regard.

Do not believe that these 'activists' give a crap about housing, your kids school or your local GAA club. Trojan horse approach all the way.

paranoia will destroy ya - where are you getting this reds under the beds crap from?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

To be fair, there is some experience of government among their members, unlike Sinn Fein who couldn't run a parish council.

lads, its hilarious reading these kinds of posts. the fear is real - ye's must be terrified of the next election when it arrives.:pac::pac:

that's a fairly good definition of short sighted populist politics

Ha ha...somebody who has grown up with nearly 40 years of FF and FG election/auction politics is not computing the 'populist politics' gibe TBH.

Ha ha...somebody who has grown up with nearly 40 years of FF and FG election/auction politics is not computing the 'populist politics' gibe TBH.

so you agree sf and ff fg are at the same short sighted petty tricks then ?

not sure why you constantly bring up other party's given the title of the thread though

so you agree sf and ff fg are at the same short sighted petty tricks then ?

Forgive me, but I can't really get upset or shocked at a political parties policies being described as populist by a rival of that party.
    As somebody else here said it is schoolyard level stuff in an Irish context where any party can be accused of it.
    not sure why you constantly bring up other party's given the title of the thread though

So in order to answer the question/retort I need to make a comparison...would you prefer if I went to France or Nigeria and named political parties there? Or would a comparison with the actual parties they are competing with be more appropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Sinn Fein use barking dogs, to nuisance; because Sinn Fein are too gutless themselves to bark.

I wonder did they send some one around to his house to encourage him lol I d say that would have went well

I wonder did they send some one around to his house to encourage him lol I d say that would have went well

Like this you mean?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fine-gael-council-candidate-dylan-hutchinson-confronted-by-jennifer-carroll-macneill-over-derogatory-snapchat-post-zh5vmg9hv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

I don't like FG but I don't know why you think everything do wrong automatically justifies Sinn Féin acting the maggot?

It seems that if there was a paedophile ring in FG you'd be using it to justify if there was one at SF as well.

I thought your problem was with the "power swap" - surely there is no point breaking the power swap if SF are doing the exact same thing as the two you're mad to take power from? Surely SF should be expected to walk a higher path?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

https://www.thejournal.ie/paddy-holohan-sinn-fein-3-5386485-Mar2021/

The idea that Sinn Féin themselves didn’t remove this sexist, racist, dangerous dunce is a damning self-indictment of their policy towards who should be seen representing them. He should have been booted out months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I don't care what he thinks or what he says. I don't care what any Sinn Fein member thinks or says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

I don't care what he thinks or what he says. I don't care what any Sinn Fein member thinks or says.

Well you came to the right place. :rolleyes:

Well you came to the right place. :rolleyes:

Indeed. I didn't even know who this clown was. Hopefully this thread will die like Darby O'Gill's political career.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

I think hes a great representative of Sinn Fein voters in Tallaght.

DerekC16 wrote: »

To paraphrase the old sayings the best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter and you get what you vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

DerekC16 wrote: »

Emoji, please?!

Tallaght is waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Reckon he’s doing the party a favour there. They’ve been blighted by a weirdo “element” of late.

Whatever about “up the ra” Cullinane and that water-boarding lad awhile back, that’s sort of par for the course but having the MMA lad spouting racist guff and that anti-vaxxer one in Clare I don’t see this “departure” bringing anything but relief to the senior figures, both in the party and up in Belfast.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Not too sure Paddy's views are ones that a lot of SF supporters disagree with, especially with the visceral hatred of Leo V. Even a quick dip into the cesspool that is Twitter show a lot of profiles with a pirate flag, #think32, a Bobby Sands or similar background pic, and some vile opinions. Lots of anti-vax, anti-lockdown, anti-establishment sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Not too sure Paddy's views are ones that a lot of SF supporters disagree with, especially with the visceral hatred of Leo V. Even a quick dip into the cesspool that is Twitter show a lot of profiles with a pirate flag, #think32, a Bobby Sands or similar background pic, and some vile opinions. Lots of anti-vax, anti-lockdown, anti-establishment sorts.

SFs stance on immigration is vastly different to a lot of their supporters.

They just haven't realised it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

SFs stance on immigration is vastly different to a lot of their supporters.

They just haven't realised it yet.

Not bad at all.
    The best one I heard was about how SF supporters don't like SF's policy on immigration :D

Advertisement