Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

Read the comments and you might get a feel for why a cross section of the public think it out of line.

BTW I don't recall the government getting a free pass to do what they like because there is a pandemic.

ignored the point being made ,

again

no problem when its some one else but when its one of yer own ….

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

ignored the point being made ,

again

no problem when its some one else but when its one of yer own ….

This is the SF thread...why would I be calling attention to other parties?

I don't use misogyny, nicknames, or comment on how somebody looks or their gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

https://www.thejournal.ie/paddy-holohan-sinn-fein-3-5386485-Mar2021/

The idea that Sinn Féin themselves didn’t remove this sexist, racist, dangerous dunce is a damning self-indictment of their policy towards who should be seen representing them. He should have been booted out months ago.

Agreed but SF has made good ground with the perpetually angry folk, who just want to rail against 'Da Guberment'. You know the type!

They are now the catch-all anti-establishment and anti-government party spouting simple populist solutions to more complex problems.

It will be fun trying to see them patch up a coalition and get into government nevermind actually trying to implement some policy changes.

Put it this way, you cant run a country from a Twitter account or creating some Meme's.

I don't use misogyny, nicknames, or comment on how somebody looks or their gender.

I think it would be better to refrain from commenting on your particular morality or lack there of for the benefit of the rules here

I think it would be better to refrain from commenting on your particular morality or lack there of for the benefit of the rules here

What?

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    There were plenty of Sinn Fein (and Social Democrat) supporters and voters on here who defended our Paddy from accusations of homophobia and racism for weeks on end.

They haven't gone away, you know.

It is incredible really, the lengths that people will go to excuse a man like him. Very few politicians have sunk to such lows as Holohan (maybe Ming dropped his trousers lower) but few inspired such devotional defenders.

This.This.This x 10000!

I hope those posters who spent days and weeks defending Paddy Holohan from the accusation of Homophobia, Mysognency and Xenophobia will hang their heads in shame, now that Paddy is no longer a SF member?

Those posts won't have aged well at all.

On Paddy Holohan... he walked, he wasn't pushed.

162457195_4356772581004061_8560679535564222975_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=qgvSJYkeVUwAX8TQZ2A&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=7ac97a33068a3f2eae05e6e2d999c86e&oe=607CE010

Sums it up.

What?

go on out of that francie now

the party has a short memory but a day or two ?

go on out of that francie now

the party has a short memory but a day or two ?

No idea what you are on about tbh.

• Advertisement

No idea what you are on about tbh.

I am unsurprised

but no one else is , same old same

I am unsurprised

but no one else is , same old same

'no one else' is? Who are you speaking on behalf of here and what are you speaking about exactly?

Bit creepy that there is a 'group' of people discussing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Were Sinn Féin supporters not calling Joan Burton a witch not so long ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/rhi-scandal-arlene-foster-is-tough-but-shes-not-immune-to-horrific-online-abuse-35342735.html

A pity that this wall mural hasn't been taken down in a SF-controlled area. It kind of shows up the blatant hypocrisy of the party.

I am sure that you and other posters on here like maccored who have complained about the Mary-Lou depiction were the first on here to raise the issue of the wall mural depicting Arlene Foster as a witch, weren't you?

The cartoon crossed a line, just barely, but the sustained abuse by SF supporters of women like Arlene Foster, Mairia Cahill, Breege Quinn and others means that the complaints sound very hollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Eoghan Harris and his article in yesterdays Sunday Independent was 100% correct in it's suggestion that Sf and their lust for and desire for chaos is becoming dangerous. the more madness they can stir up the more drums they can beat. The fact that Sf continues to tap up young people in all wakes of life with their mindset is a danger to democracy and one step away from Red square in China. Ultimately total domination is Sfs desire with no opposition or any compaction of any kind. Kind of like what they did to nationalist areas up North. Dominate and subdue and keep them in despair. Now if that was a relationship between two people can we imagine what a psychiatrist would say.

Dan.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/rhi-scandal-arlene-foster-is-tough-but-shes-not-immune-to-horrific-online-abuse-35342735.html

A pity that this wall mural hasn't been taken down in a SF-controlled area. It kind of shows up the blatant hypocrisy of the party.

I am sure that you and other posters on here like maccored who have complained about the Mary-Lou depiction were the first on here to raise the issue of the wall mural depicting Arlene Foster as a witch, weren't you?

The cartoon crossed a line, just barely, but the sustained abuse by SF supporters of women like Arlene Foster, Mairia Cahill, Breege Quinn and others means that the complaints sound very hollow.

blanch...I have never attacked Arlene Foster or Mairia Cahill on the basis of their gender...fact.

That you need to point over there to dilute this case and cannot separate 'supporters' from a main stream newspaper speaks to why this kind of depiction of women still persists.

blanch...I have never attacked Arlene Foster or Mairia Cahill on the basis of their gender...fact.

That you need to point over there to dilute this case and cannot separate 'supporters' from a main stream newspaper speaks to why this kind of depiction of women still persists.

Sorry, but a full-size wall mural in a SF-controlled area depicting Arlene as a witch shines more than a little light on the hypocrisy of the complaints.

That Sinn Fein couldn't bring themselves to expelling the misogynistic, homophobic, racist troll known as Paddy Holohan tells the same tale of their hypocrisy.

I am not defending the cartoon, I have called posters out on here for misogynistic posts about Mary-Lou, but I cannot stand the type of hypocrisy being displayed in relation to this issue.

Go on, see can you condemn the wall mural without equivocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Its a brilliant satirical comic on the frenzy SF want to brew, the only people objecting to it are the mary lou minions trying to deflect from the harsh truth the comic illustrates. The crocodile tears of ‘misogyny’ from the very people who stood behind paddy holohan are laughable

Sorry, but a full-size wall mural in a SF-controlled area depicting Arlene as a witch shines more than a little light on the hypocrisy of the complaints.

That Sinn Fein couldn't bring themselves to expelling the misogynistic, homophobic, racist troll known as Paddy Holohan tells the same tale of their hypocrisy.

I am not defending the cartoon, I have called posters out on here for misogynistic posts about Mary-Lou, but I cannot stand the type of hypocrisy being displayed in relation to this issue.

Go on, see can you condemn the wall mural without equivocation.

How are the Women's Council of Ireland being 'hypocritical' exactly blanch?

Again your attempts to dilute this are disgraceful.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/deeply-sexist-mary-lou-mcdonald-cartoon-could-put-women-off-politics-nwci-1168434?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1616404776

https://www.newstalk.com/news/deeply-sexist-mary-lou-mcdonald-cartoon-could-put-women-off-politics-nwci-1168434?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1616404776

Oh, I agree, the National Women's Council are not hypocritical, but they didn't support Paddy Holohan as a member for several years. Neither did they control a wall mural depicting Arlene Foster as a witch, and their supporters didn't defend all of that on social media seven days a week. That is why the complaints from Sinn Fein are hollow and hypocritical.

I have given my view that the cartoon crossed a line, but you have refused to condemn the wall mural (and Paddy Holohan) in the same way that you condemned the cartoon.

• Advertisement

Oh, I agree, the National Women's Council are not hypocritical, but they didn't support Paddy Holohan as a member for several years. Neither did they control a wall mural depicting Arlene Foster as a witch, and their supporters didn't defend all of that on social media seven days a week. That is why the complaints from Sinn Fein are hollow and hypocritical.

I have given my view that the cartoon crossed a line, but you have refused to condemn the wall mural (and Paddy Holohan) in the same way that you condemned the cartoon.

Just totally unable to call this out for what it is. Cowardly, in fairness.

Just totally unable to call this out for what it is. Cowardly, in fairness.

I have called it out, but I have also called out the hypocrisy on display from Sinn Fein, their supporters and their apologists.

Sinn Fein sound like a member of the KKK complaining about racism.

I have called it out, but I have also called out the hypocrisy on display from Sinn Fein, their supporters and their apologists.

Sinn Fein sound like a member of the KKK complaining about racism.

You have diluted it and called those who have criticised it (who most certainly aren't just SF) hypocrites.

I will remind you of your first line on this, which was straight into 'look over there mode:

I'll leave what you did there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Ah here far worse things were said and done about Joan Burton and there was no outcry.

You're just trying to distract from the message of the cartoon....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ah here far worse things were said and done about Joan Burton and there was no outcry.

You're just trying to distract from the message of the cartoon....

This is it, we cant continue saying women in politics should be treated equally to men yet still preserve the right for their supporters to selectively shriek ‘misogyny’ when a genuine criticism is levelled at them.

I'd imagine women just despair when they see this kind of dilution going on.

If it is wrong then it is wrong, whomsoever does it.

You have diluted it and called those who have criticised it (who most certainly aren't just SF) hypocrites.

I will remind you of your first line on this, which was straight into 'look over there mode:

I'll leave what you did there.

Sorry Francie, I have criticised the cartoon, and I haven't called myself a hypocrite. Neither have I called the NWC hypocrites. Neither are the politicians from other parties who have all called it out, hypocrites.

I have called out SF, their supporters and their apologists (those who don't support or vote for them but excuse them all the time on social media) as hypocrites on the issue of misogyny. I make no apology for that, as it is plainly obvious.

Sorry Francie, I have criticised the cartoon, and I haven't called myself a hypocrite. Neither have I called the NWC hypocrites. Neither are the politicians from other parties who have all called it out, hypocrites.

I have called out SF, their supporters and their apologists (those who don't support or vote for them but excuse them all the time on social media) as hypocrites on the issue of misogyny. I make no apology for that, as it is plainly obvious.

blanch, you cannot call out a blatant piece of misogyny without FIRST pointing at SF, who have incidents of misogyny in their party just like all other parties have.

That is sad and a sad day for women who suffer this in political life.

blanch, you cannot call out a blatant piece of misogyny without FIRST pointing at SF, who have incidents of misogyny in their party just like all other parties have.

That is sad and a sad day for women who suffer this in political life.

This is a relatively minor piece of misogyny. Take the famous SF internal Facebook group which contained the use of the c-word and the b-word. That was denied from on high by posters on here, and excused. It was far worse than this cartoon.

• Advertisement

This is a relatively minor piece of misogyny. Take the famous SF internal Facebook group which contained the use of the c-word and the b-word. That was denied from on high by posters on here, and excused. It was far worse than this cartoon.

It's a NATIONAL newspaper blanch and that distinction has not been lost on those representing women's interests making the complaints.

Another effort at dilution with a bit of look over there.

Advertisement