Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

Were Sinn Féin supporters not calling Joan Burton a witch not so long ago?

Oh you can bet none of them noticed that at the time and werent involved and dont condone it now

Like porcupines, their spikes only run in one direction

• Registered Users Posts: 68,880 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Oh you can bet none of them noticed that at the time and werent involved and dont condone it now

Like porcupines, their spikes only run in one direction

There is a huge distinction between a national newspaper and random 'supporters' of political parties, ALL of whom engage in online misogyny and homophobia.

That you cannot see that distinction, speaks volumes tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's a NATIONAL newspaper blanch and that distinction has not been lost on those representing women's interests making the complaints.

Another effort at dilution with a bit of look over there.

I think a political candidate for mayor indulging in misogynistic, racist and homophobic comments is far worse than a newspaper, but that's just me.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think a political candidate for mayor indulging in misogynistic, racist and homophobic comments is far worse than a newspaper, but that's just me.

Now you are excusing it. Just awful performance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Now you are excusing it. Just awful performance here.

Perfectly valid performance , depicts SF exactly as they are doing- stirring the pot and doing nothing to help our country out of its numerous problems.

Then they run crying when someone fingers them for what they are actually doing, trying to turn it into a gender issue.

A blind poster could see through the deflection there.

That cartoon was the truest depiction I have seen of SF for yonks.

On. The ...... Button

• Advertisement

Perfectly valid performance , depicts SF exactly as they are doing- stirring the pot and doing nothing to help our country out of its numerous problems.

Then they run crying when someone fingers them for what they are actually doing, trying to turn it into a gender issue.

A blind poster could see through the deflection there.

That cartoon was the truest depiction I have seen of SF for yonks.

On. The ...... Button

So you just ignore the criticism of it from more than SF (if SF have officially commented on it even?)

Ok. Women may put up with this in national newspapers for a while longer so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yeap, many people jumping on the bandwagon today were those calling Joan Burton a witch of hag yesterday...

https://extra.ie/2021/03/22/news/irish-news/sinn-fein-mary-lou-mcdonald-cartoon-joan-burton

Welcome to SF land! :pac::rolleyes:

So you just ignore the criticism of it from more than SF (if SF have officially commented on it even?)

Ok. Women may put up with this in national newspapers for a while longer so.

Yes I do, because it’s a red herring.... nothing to do with gender.

The President of SF is female, the cartoon depicts the current agenda of SF.

Nothing to do with an anti female agenda.

People need to get down off their high horses.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/rhi-scandal-arlene-foster-is-tough-but-shes-not-immune-to-horrific-online-abuse-35342735.html

A pity that this wall mural hasn't been taken down in a SF-controlled area. It kind of shows up the blatant hypocrisy of the party.

I am sure that you and other posters on here like maccored who have complained about the Mary-Lou depiction were the first on here to raise the issue of the wall mural depicting Arlene Foster as a witch, weren't you?

The cartoon crossed a line, just barely, but the sustained abuse by SF supporters of women like Arlene Foster, Mairia Cahill, Breege Quinn and others means that the complaints sound very hollow.

Haha, a brilliant find Blanch.
    Crying a river today, while fully engaged in this type of abuse for years before.

"Do as I say, not as I do"

How are the Women's Council of Ireland being 'hypocritical' exactly blanch?

Again your attempts to dilute this are disgraceful.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/deeply-sexist-mary-lou-mcdonald-cartoon-could-put-women-off-politics-nwci-1168434?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1616404776

I would imagine the Womens Council of Ireland would have condemmed Paddy Holohans comments last year as well, while many SF supporters back in the day, stood fast in their defence of him.

Now today, they are all feminists.
    Hypocrisy is Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

your missing the point

sf are allowed to slander accuse and threaten anyone even their own people , its practically party policy

but if any one dares to criticise them of one of their "troops" then the online army are released in a wave of outrage in an attempt to shout loud enough to distract from what ever activities the organisation is up to this week :):)

Completely missing the difference between a supporter (supporters of all parties make disgraceful comments on SM) and a national newspaper.

No wonder it is impossible to stamp this kind of dinosaur behaviour out.

As I said, women must be in despair at this 'look over there' dilution and excusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Gemma O'Doherty was a political candidate for President (and even got a few votes I think from some Co. Councils). It means nothing unless they are voted in. In fact, if they are rejected says just as much.

Its far more shocking to see a former Minister for Justice (Charlie Flanagan, TD) supporting the demonising of a fellow TD on twitter.

If a former Minister for Justice supports this kind of depiction of women, how do you expect twitter users to see anything wrong with it?

markodaly wrote: »
    I would imagine the Womens Council of Ireland would have condemmed Paddy Holohans comments last year as well, while many SF supporters back in the day, stood fast in their defence of him.

Now today, they are all feminists.
    Hypocrisy is Sinn Fein.

Wasn't Holohan disciplined by SF. I recall Mary Lou being interviewed on RTE 5-7 live strongly criticising him for it and saying that he would be disciplined.

Its up to the leadership of these parties to set the tone. Fine Gael need to have a word with some of its leaders about this route they are going down.

jm08 wrote: »
    Wasn't Holohan disciplined by SF. I recall Mary Lou being interviewed on RTE 5-7 live strongly criticising him for it and saying that he would be disciplined.

Its up to the leadership of these parties to set the tone. Fine Gael need to have a word with some of its leaders about this route they are going down.

A few weeks suspended and that was it.

What sanction would you propose for the Indo editorial team?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Did he actually suggest to simply delete the tweet, as if that makes it ok? Surely a misquote.

What sanction would you propose for the Indo editorial team?

Are you equating the cartoon with Paddy Holohan's comments on women?
    You defended those misogynist comments to the hilt when they came out.

Completely missing the difference between a supporter (supporters of all parties make disgraceful comments on SM) and a national newspaper.

No wonder it is impossible to stamp this kind of dinosaur behaviour out.

As I said, women must be in despair at this 'look over there' dilution and excusing.

Absolute rubbish, this is not an Islamic state.

These kind of ‘cartoons’ have been published in national newspapers for yonks.Ask the people behind Kerrigans weekly attack on the govt.

The SINN FEIN President is female, she was depicted as Sinn Fein are acting, doing nothing but stirring the pot.

It’s getting no traction, just the usual ‘outraged drones’ who are looking for something to be ‘outraged’ about .

These people will try to ‘platform’ every thing like this once it doesn’t impinge on their agenda.

Spare us the pseudo affrontery lads, cuts no ice here.

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Did he actually suggest to simply delete the tweet, as if that makes it ok? Surely a misquote.

Pretty much. There wasnt a 'Were are sorry for past comments', it was a call to arms for those to clean up their past online, not their act.

Says it all about SF to be honest, if you can excuse and whatabout murder of children, all for the cause, then calling a woman to be burned at the stake is small fry, no pun intended.

Are you equating the cartoon with Paddy Holohan's comments on women?
    You defended those misogynist comments to the hilt when they came out.

More lies.

I criticised Holohan's stupid comments mark.

Absolute rubbish, this is not an Islamic state.

These kind of ‘cartoons’ have been published in national newspapers for yonks.Ask the people behind Kerrigans weekly attack on the govt.

The SINN FEIN President is female, she was depicted as Sinn Fein are acting, doing nothing but stirring the pot.

It’s getting no traction, just the usual ‘outraged drones’ who are looking for something to be ‘outraged’ about .

These people will try to ‘platform’ every thing like this once it doesn’t impinge on their agenda.

Spare us the pseudo affrontery lads, cuts no ice here.

'These people'?

Who are these people?

Five months suspension. Note how none of the party leadership supported him and criticised those councillors who nominated him as a candidate for Dublin South Mayor that year later (which he didn't win anyway).

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/%C3%B3-broin-says-nomination-of-sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-paddy-holohan-s-for-mayor-wrong-1.4289812

More lies.

I criticised Holohan's stupid comments mark.

You said they were stupid, but never said they were homophobic, xenophobic or misogynististic.

In fact you went on at length to defend him against those type of comments from others.

You said they were stupid, but never said they were homophobic, xenophobic or misogynististic.

In fact you went on at length to defend him against those type of comments from others.

I still don't think his comment was homophobic.
    I do think he was misogynistic.

All his comments were stupid and clumsy and inappropriate and were called such from my first comment on the matter. And I praised SF for their quick response in sanctioning him.

Now, any sanction for the editorial team at the Indo or are you ok with their misogyny?

The chickens are coming home to roost now ,Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Pretty much. There wasnt a 'Were are sorry for past comments', it was a call to arms for those to clean up their past online, not their act.

Says it all about SF to be honest, if you can excuse and whatabout murder of children, all for the cause, then calling a woman to be burned at the stake is small fry, no pun intended.
    Jaysus Aongus, HQ will be scrambling!!

I still don't think his comment was homophobic.
    I do think he was misogynistic.

Ah ok, he was refferring to Leo not being 'a family man' is just for the craic, nevermind about his 'Indian blood'...

We had some gay people on that very thread state that his comments were homophobic, yet you still maintain the 'He didnt do wrong' line. You are loyal I must say.

Chickens, roost and all that... that thread has not aged well at all for some.

https://www.boards.ie/mobile/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058046008

• Advertisement

Ah ok, he was refferring to Leo not being 'a family man' is just for the craic, nevermind about his 'Indian blood'...

We had some gay people on that very thread state that his comments were homophobic, yet you still maintain the 'He didnt do wrong' line. You are loyal I must say.

Chickens, roost and all that... that thread has not aged well at all for some.

https://www.boards.ie/mobile/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058046008

Yes, I said it was a clumsy and stupid way to make the point but wasn't homophobic. My opinion freely given. I also said if he was being homophobic he had to go.

There's a chicken waiting for your answer to this question:

What sanction do you think should be given to the editorial team at the Indo or are you ok with this depiction?

Advertisement