Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It would explain why they never challenged the government on anything in the shambolic lockdown response. I.e., maybe they've outsourced everything in terms of policy. Not saying i agree with the notion, but has anyone got any better ideas?

https://freepress.ie/2021/03/proof-that-sinn-feins-social-media-like-their-party-is-run-by-foreign-entities/

Proof-That-Sinn-Feins-Social-Media-Like-Their-Party-Is-Run-By-Foreign-Entities-pn.png?ssl=1

Seriously?

I stopped reading at this line:

Sinn Fein could have brought down the Irish Government and entered power with a few simple Facebook posts

:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

It would explain why they never challenged the government on anything in the shambolic lockdown response. I.e., maybe they've outsourced everything in terms of policy. Not saying i agree with the notion, but has anyone got any better ideas?

https://freepress.ie/2021/03/proof-that-sinn-feins-social-media-like-their-party-is-run-by-foreign-entities/

Proof-That-Sinn-Feins-Social-Media-Like-Their-Party-Is-Run-By-Foreign-Entities-pn.png?ssl=1

I'm sorry I gave that rag a click.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I think you have both completely missed the point in my post. Their nationality is completely irrelevant.

The implication was that these individuals could be funded by foreign donations, which as we all know is not allowed in ROI politics.

I'm not suggesting that this is the case, simply pointing out that that implication is why it is in the news (nothing to do with nationality or whatever ye seem to be tying it to).

I'm sure Sinn Fein can clear up the financial questions swiftly anyway and confirm they are funded via legitimate donations.

Is the Twitter page not 'international'? In that it services the party in both jurisdictions.

Where are the rules governing 'social media' and paying for it. Can you link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Has anyone unearthed the crime here?

I love the way the Indo has with language that starts these wild goose chases. They have been doing it for years.

'It has been confirmed by SF' giving the impression that this is a scoop, when the info is freely available at the click of a button on a page called 'Page Transparency'
    Nice work for a hack, if you can get it.

He is not a hack just a political courier.

The whole point of online troll farms is that dozens or even hundreds of fake media accounts are run by a small number of people. The idea is to big themselves up to look more frightening than they actually are. Plenty of these on at work on Facebook hounding Leo all the time.
    Strangely, but the episode on Homeland a few years ago dealing with this matter springs to mind.

It's been proven that just over half of Leo's followers are fake. What do you make of that?

• Advertisement

Arlene is now calling for the head of the PSNI to resign. Compare that with Ash for Cash.

Is the Twitter page not 'international'? In that it services the party in both jurisdictions.

Where are the rules governing 'social media' and paying for it. Can you link?

Not sure why you expect something to specifically cover social media? The definitions of 'donation' and 'political purpose' from the Electoral Act and SIPO guidelines would be wide enough to capture social media activity also.

There is a lot of scrutiny of SF lately in this area, arising from the 4m donation/inheritance and the property purchases. Which is why McDonald came out not too long ago stating that SF operated as a separate party in ROI and NI, as she knew saying that they were the one operation across the whole island would have raised eyebrows regarding foreign donations under the ROI Electoral Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Not sure why you expect something to specifically cover social media? The definitions of 'donation' and 'political purpose' from the Electoral Act and SIPO guidelines would be wide enough to capture social media activity also.

There is a lot of scrutiny of SF lately in this area, arising from the 4m donation/inheritance and the property purchases. Which is why McDonald came out not too long ago stating that SF operated as a separate party in ROI and NI, as she knew saying that they were the one operation across the whole island would have raised eyebrows regarding foreign donations under the ROI Electoral Act.

Only in certain quarters desperate to deflect.
    As another person posted, SF spend far less on social media than other parties.

So, maybe SF in northern Ireland pay for it. It could also be a voluntary contribution.

Still not seeing the issue.

Only in certain quarters desperate to deflect.
    As another person posted, SF spend far less on social media than other parties.

I'm not sure what you think SIPO are trying to deflect from? Weird statement.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/watchdog-probes-sinn-fein-finances-over-officebought-for-180k-in-cash-40218402.html

• Advertisement

So, maybe SF in northern Ireland pay for it. It could also be a voluntary contribution.

Still not seeing the issue.

If SF NI are paying for social media for ROI purposes, then they definitely have an issue under the current legislation and SIPO guidelines.

If SF NI are paying for social media for ROI purposes, then they definitely have an issue under the current legislation and SIPO guidelines.

Their twitter account and FB accounts service both areas. :confused:

The folk using the reports on social media.
    You are linking that story to foreign donations.

Their twitter account and FB accounts service both areas. :confused:

Are you saying they could have an issue there? I'm sure SF have been careful to ensure that none of those cross border social media accounts are falling foul of the ROI foreign donation legislation.

They will be required to give all this information to SIPO from now on anyway.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-will-be-required-to-give-details-of-political-spending-on-both-sides-of-border-to-sipo-40057955.html

Interesting comment in that article actually, given you were looking for something specifically on social media:

"Sipo also clarified that a donation in kind still counts as a political donation under their rules. “The matters referred to by the Seanad in its query, such as the conduct of research, provision of social media services or employment of staff funded in the north and employed in this jurisdiction, could potentially fall within the definition of donation.”"

Are you saying they could have an issue there? I'm sure SF have been careful to ensure that none of those cross border social media accounts are falling foul of the ROI foreign donation legislation.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-will-be-required-to-give-details-of-political-spending-on-both-sides-of-border-to-sipo-40057955.html

If you have something to hide, you usually do.

There was nothing hidden (despite the Indo phraseology) about this. The info was available in a few clicks.

If there is an issue, would it not be more pertinent to ask what the f**k the agencies tasked to monitor and regulate are at?

A huge amount of anger from across the community in NI as a result of the decision not to prosecute any of the 24 SF elected reps who turned up at the funeral of Nutting Squad boss, Bobby Storey. Could be a decision that leads to the collapse of the devolved Government. Probably suits both the DUP and SF at this stage.

A huge amount of anger from across the community in NI as a result of the decision not to prosecute any of the 24 SF elected reps who turned up at the funeral of Nutting Squad boss, Bobby Storey. Could be a decision that leads to the collapse of the devolved Government. Probably suits both the DUP and SF at this stage.

There was always going to be anger, whichever way it went.

Was there as much concern about 'anger' when the RHI inquiry came to it's conclusions?

Doubt it.

There was always going to be anger, whichever way it went.

Was there as much concern about 'anger' when the RHI inquiry came to it's conclusions?

Doubt it.

You can condone both. I suppose what is so galling for people of all persuasions and creeds up North is that they weren't allowed have more than 30 mourners at the funerals of their loved ones who died, yet Storey, a man who brought so much suffering and misery into the world, was given a send-off involving over 2000 people lining the streets all wearing the same quasi-paramilitary uniform.

As I said, it might lead to the collapse of Stormont, which probably suits both SF and the DUP. They can then go back to accusing 'dem uns' of being the cause of all the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hiptobesquare

Seriously?

I stopped reading at this line:

Sinn Fein could have brought down the Irish Government and entered power with a few simple Facebook posts

You're missing out so. It's explained very well. Fact is had Sinn Fein leaned on what the WHO said about lockdowns ( that theyre not the correct response to outbreaks) or the real death rate figures, they could have made the Irish government's position on the matter untenable.

• Advertisement

skimpydoo wrote: »
    It's been proven that just over half of Leo's followers are fake. What do you make of that?

That there s zero difference between Sinn fein, FG, and FF. They are all playing games pretending to be different. The universal support of the covid measures and no questions every being asked on anything no matter what the damage is 100% proof this is fact. It's all theatre.

Looks like you clicked that rag but didn;t see the links to the FARA records. If you want to ignore it fine, but two weeks before that money popped up out of nowhere, they had an amazing series of meetings. Its all there in official US government records, linked to in their deal with the devil one

If you have something to hide, you usually do.

There was nothing hidden (despite the Indo phraseology) about this. The info was available in a few clicks.

If there is an issue, would it not be more pertinent to ask what the f**k the agencies tasked to monitor and regulate are at?

Hidden in plain sight - where most of the biggest lies tend to reside. Fact is no one knew - everyone isnt constantly looking at the page transparency pages of facebook advertisers.

Seems to be alot of damage limitation effort on this thread :-)

This is a huge story, and i don't think it will go away. Sinn Fein let foreign actors mainline into their electorate (tens of thousands of them) via a source their electorate trusted as authentic.

They lied to their supporters, and unless they can prove they emailed instructions to Germany or Serbia on what was to be posted, every time something was posted from there on any of Sinn Fein's many pages, this is only going to get bigger.

Looks like you clicked that rag but didn;t see the links to the FARA records. If you want to ignore it fine, but two weeks before that money popped up out of nowhere, they had an amazing series of meetings. Its all there in official US government records, linked to in their deal with the devil one

I've no interest in conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

This is a huge story, and i don't think it will go away. Sinn Fein let foreign actors mainline into their electorate (tens of thousands of them) via a source their electorate trusted as authentic.

They lied to their supporters, and unless they can prove they emailed instructions to Germany or Serbia on what was to be posted, every time something was posted from there on any of Sinn Fein's many pages, this is only going to get bigger.

Tin foil hat stuff right there. 3 lads banging away on Mary Lou's fb page for 8 hours a day. Good Lord.

Time to walk the dog methinks.

Hidden in plain sight - where most of the biggest lies tend to reside. Fact is no one knew - everyone isnt constantly looking at the page transparency pages of facebook advertisers.

Ha ha ha, we had a member of the Dáil accuse FG of employing someone full time to peruse SF's social media accounts. Not 'constantly' looking indeed!
    You can condone both. I suppose what is so galling for people of all persuasions and creeds up North is that they weren't allowed have more than 30 mourners at the funerals of their loved ones who died, yet Storey, a man who brought so much suffering and misery into the world, was given a send-off involving over 2000 people lining the streets all wearing the same quasi-paramilitary uniform.

As I said, it might lead to the collapse of Stormont, which probably suits both SF and the DUP. They can then go back to accusing 'dem uns' of being the cause of all the problems.

SF were wrong, like others to do what they did. Was it crime of the century? Debatable. I think, like the other mistakes made, apologies and learning the lessons was enough tbh.

The DUP are looking for any excuse to plunge Ireland, the island, into crisis to deflect from their own appalling selfish decisions.

I wouldn't be assisting them.

Complete fantasy.
    I couldn't give two ****s where some social media bot or other is situated. It means nothing. You are trying to suggest the German/Serb based folk were not following instruction from SF? To what end?
    All parties use unelected think tanks and policy advisors, however this is literally three lads maintaining their Facebook among numerous others.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Interesting comment in that article actually, given you were looking for something specifically on social media:

"Sipo also clarified that a donation in kind still counts as a political donation under their rules. “The matters referred to by the Seanad in its query, such as the conduct of research, provision of social media services or employment of staff funded in the north and employed in this jurisdiction, could potentially fall within the definition of donation.”"

Interesting. Does that mean that all the Sinn Fein staff from the North that campaigned down here during the election are captured by this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ha ha ha, we had a member of the Dáil accuse FG of employing someone full time to peruse SF's social media accounts. Not 'constantly' looking indeed!

SF were wrong, like others to do what they did. Was it crime of the century? Debatable. I think, like the other mistakes made, apologies and learning the lessons was enough tbh.

The DUP are looking for any excuse to plunge Ireland, the island, into crisis to deflect from their own appalling selfish decisions.

I wouldn't be assisting them.

Yes, I am sure you are saying the same thing over on the Leo thread.

Advertisement