Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameweek 21 Match Day thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭claw

37 from 4 if Martinez hangs on for 3 bonus points. Captain played though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Dice75 wrote: »
    Martinez & Targett v Ings in my main bet. Small margins :)

Ps - onside all day every day. Redic.

Ah the offside rule is gone to pot - they draw so many lines to rule where ings is - but they don't spend any time on when Adams in this situation strikes the ball. I read an article at start of season that talked about the frames per second that they use in VAR.

Cameras used by VAR run at 50 frames per second. One picture taken every 0.02 seconds. Therefore if they used pictures taken every 0.01 seconds, some of these "offside" decisions would be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Now Southampton should have had a pen, and the goal could have stood. The martinez owners can count themselves seriously lucky to be getting these points.

Missed out on a penalty save damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Logging off for the night anyway after that. What is the point of VAR... 25(-4) with 5 to go including C. Big day tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CornettoQueen

Massive 10 points for Martinez tonight after all that happened today. Nice way to finish an awful start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Had 4 outfield players last 2 games. Including captain. 1 goal total scored between the teams. Bleh.

Blessed with Martinez at least. Lucky in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

32 (-4) from 6

Cancelo (C) and Stones not playing was a pain so nice to have some luck with Martinez.

Chilwell, Coufal, Soucek, Bamford and Salah (C) to go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

12(-4) from 3 with Holding and Reid 2nd and 3rd subs. Last min change of Wood to 1st sub instead of Holding means I'll likely lose out on his points for Cancelo

• Registered Users Posts: 38,510 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

25 from 6 not including bps. An awful day, glad I stuck with Martinez.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭COH

That Villa cleanie irks me. Yes, irks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,267 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

16 from my Villa pair puts a bit of respectability on my score :D
    25 (-4) from 5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

38 from 7 with Salah(c), Cresswell, Maddison & Bamford to go. Good day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭COH

8 (-4) from 3

HEWT

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Ah the offside rule is gone to pot - they draw so many lines to rule where ings is - but they don't spend any time on when Adams in this situation strikes the ball. I read an article at start of season that talked about the frames per second that they use in VAR.

Cameras used by VAR run at 50 frames per second. One picture taken every 0.02 seconds. Therefore if they used pictures taken every 0.01 seconds, some of these "offside" decisions would be on.

Yep. If they showed the ref a freezeframe with no lines there on the VAR screen it would be given onside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Martinez gets a CS & 3 saves so gets 3 bps.
    Cash gets a CS & 1 save but also gets 3 bps.

The bps system is screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,236 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dice75 wrote: »
    Yep. If they showed the ref a freezeframe with no lines there on the VAR screen it would be given onside.

How do you come to this conclusion? VAR is only supposed to overturn a refs decision if there is clear evidence the lino’s decision was wrong.

I know people don’t like close offside decisions and they should probably look to change how it is done, but people acting like Southampton have been screwed by VAR on the offside is a bit mad.

Fitz* wrote: »
    Martinez gets a CS & 3 saves so gets 3 bps.
    Cash gets a CS & 1 save but also gets 3 bps.

The bps system is screwed!

Cash arguably deserves all the bonus to himself for saving the day with his slender behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

CSF wrote: »
    How do you come to this conclusion? VAR is only supposed to overturn a refs decision if there is clear evidence the lino’s decision was wrong.

I know people don’t like close offside decisions and they should probably look to change how it is done, but people acting like Southampton have been screwed by VAR on the offside is a bit mad.

I think if you get a freezeframe of that offside decision without the lines drawn on the screen a majority would say it was onside. Im saying that as a neutral who has double Villa defence. Just my opinion, did you see the screengrab?

https://twitter.com/primevideosport/status/1355634765278420993

Hoping that embeds right - that's the still that they were drawing lines on - if you look at the ball it's blurred which means it has moved due to the Adams kicking it - it's not a still of the precise moment Adams touches it, instead it's a fraction of second after - hence it's blurred.

Every tight call this season, they draw lines where the attacking player is - they never once look at the precise moment the ball is touched - why is that?

https://twitter.com/primevideosport/status/1355634765278420993

Hoping that embeds right - that's the still that they were drawing lines on - if you look at the ball it's blurred which means it has moved due to the Adams kicking it - it's not a still of the precise moment Adams touches it, instead it's a fraction of second after - hence it's blurred.

Every tight call this season, they draw lines where the attacking player is - they never once look at the precise moment the ball is touched - why is that?

But you’re literally acknowledging it’s tight, and still want them to overturn the lino’s decision? That doesn’t make sense to me. That isn’t what VAR is there to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

I think your speaking as a Villa fan. Offsides are yes or no, not a clear and obvious error situation hence they normally let play continue until the attack has broken down before putting up the flag, they know VAR will intervene if wrong. The still shows the ball has been played already imo, goal should have stood all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Brought in Ings this week. Could easily have had a brace. Refs and Pep both screwing me today.

But you’re literally acknowledging it’s tight, and still want them to overturn the lino’s decision? That doesn’t make sense to me. That isn’t what VAR is there to do.

What is VAR's role in this?
    VAR will only be used for "clear and obvious errors" or "serious missed incidents" in four match-changing situations:
    – Goals
    – Penalty decisions
    – Direct red card incidents
    – Mistaken identity

In this situation - how can the linesman make the call that it is offside? He literally cannot see that with the naked eye - and hence they have to draw multiple lines.

Cancelo's goal last GW - again they have to draw lines. it wasn't clear and obvious mistake but they overruled the lineswoman. Was this fair?

Nothing is clear and/or obvious when they draw multiple lines regarding offside. If the still pic is not at the moment the ball is touched (and hence the ball not blurred), then they are just making it up.

What is VAR's role in this?

In this situation - how can the linesman make the call that it is offside? He literally cannot see that with the naked eye - and hence they have to draw multiple lines.

Cancelo's goal last GW - again they have to draw lines. it wasn't clear and obvious mistake but they overruled the lineswomen.

No idea how the lino can see it in real time, but to be able to change the decision they have to use the lines, which don’t even overrule his decision.

So how can they overturn it? Because it’s close?

No idea how the lino can see it in real time, but to be able to change the decision they have to use the lines, which don’t even overrule his decision.

So how can they overturn it? Because it’s close?

That's because they aren't using the correct still, how is the it that the ball is blurred - you can see that it's move a fraction from when Adams kicks it and hence it's this fraction that has Ings offside.

The article here explains how VAR cannot be 100% confident with the stills used.

https://www.givemesport.com/1498162-there-are-flaws-in-var-that-mean-not-every-offside-decision-will-be-correct

Fair enough the PL have to use some metric to decide what's offside and what isn't, but when the margins are so tight, I think that they should bring in a rule next season for situations like this - if VAR can't decide within 15 seconds - the goal should stand, regardless of what the linesmen say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Bloody hell.

17 from 7 and never doing MOTD challenge again.... That was horrific.

Edit. 23 after autosub

• Registered Users Posts: 38,510 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This isn't really the thread for it but my belief is that the NFL review system is best. No lines used, you get to watch replays from multiple angles at game speed only. If a clear and obvious error has been made then it's changed but it has to be clear and obvious, if it's not the play stands as called on the field

eagle eye wrote: »
    This isn't really the thread for it but my belief is that the NFL review system is best. No lines used, you get to watch replays from multiple angles at game speed only. If a clear and obvious error has been made then it's changed but it has to be clear and obvious, if it's not the play stands as called on the field

Yeah I’d be with this aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

27 with 6 left, meh. Martinez saved it somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

This is literally what was happening pre VAR. They make a call based on what they see, right or wrong.

VAR was brought in to rule out the “clear & obvious”. This clearly falls in to this category and you have to go with his original call.

You can’t turn around and say ... “how the hell can you see that, it’s too close to make a call!”. Like it’s literally their job, to make these calls.

End of the day, it’s offside whatever way you want to look at it.. under old rules , new rules & proposed future rules!

Advertisement