Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance

• 30-01-2021 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

mods if in wrong section please move.
    currently are a 3 car household

my car
    wifes car
    my classic car on classic policy.

i know i can add another 1 or 2 classics to that policy but what options do i have for another "normal" car?

eg to insure a modern mini but not to put as a classic as its a limited mileage policy i have.

does any one on here have more than 1 car insured and how???

many thanks
    Rou

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to insurance forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

mods if in wrong section please move.
    currently are a 3 car household

my car
    wifes car
    my classic car on classic policy.

i know i can add another 1 or 2 classics to that policy but what options do i have for another "normal" car?

eg to insure a modern mini but not to put as a classic as its a limited mileage policy i have.

does any one on here have more than 1 car insured and how???

many thanks
    Rou

You can insure more cars but your no claims bonus will have to be attached to one of them, you've to start from scratch on the other. Presumably you can build it up on the new car too.
    All other options are grey area, probably more than grey tbh, put in someone else's name, fronting etc.
    Put it this way, I bought an 04 SL500 a few weeks back. It's securely stored but it's not insured yet and I have a daily driver. Only want to insure it for a few months so the daily may become a company car and put on fleet insurance (I own the company) and transfer my personal policy to SL. My broker is looking into.it for me and obviously there's BIK considerations but you can't just call an insurance company and say hey, I bought a bit of a weekend toy, its 17 years old and I'll be only taking it out every now and again, can you give me a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zg3409

Its a new policy, with 0 no claims bonus. Ring around, some insurers will take your existing policy into account, most won't. Try to get a firm quote before buying anything but it won't be cheap for first few years.

As others have said there might be some grey areas such as you policy allowing you to drive other cars as long as you are not the owner, but beware may of these have catches such as not owned by a partner or Max engine size of 2L, or only as a temporary or emergency basis.

Some insurers may consider car as a classic in these cases, but they are getting stricter on how new the car is allowed to be. I would start with your existing classic insurance and ask them what is newest car they would consider a classic.

Advertisement