Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The SUC was probably the biggest selling point for me. Not having to rely on a 2 bit charging network and knowing that on the 2 longest journeys I make each year there was a bank of very fast chargers, which would almost always be available and with zero hassle.

That's going by the looks of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No way I would have purchased any other EV as main family car as I need reliable easy SuC for Scottish trips

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Real world example here of the advantages of having exclusive access to Tesla's charging network.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

How often are people using the Tesla chargers? I've used them once on a long trip, simply charge at home.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've used 1,597 Supercharger KM's from my referrals, over about 12-14 sessions, at least 8 of which were long trips out/back where the charge was needed. A few were simply stopping off anyway so plugged in for teh few minutes we had toilet breaks...

So so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so much more convenient than using non supercharger fast charging.... car is always plugged in and charging within about 10-15 seconds of applying the parking brake.... so minimum time is wasted.. Starting a DC charge on eCars takes anything from 60 seconds to 15 minutes after parking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Have had my car nearly 2 years. Have used Birdhill for maybe 4 trips in that time, used Ballacolla on another trip once. There was one weekend in Mayo where I managed to get from Dublin to Westport on a single charge but on the way home I went out to Achill first so needed to use Ionity Athlone in order to get back, that's the only trip to date where I needed a supercharger but didn't have one en route. I was also supposed to take the car to France before Covid hit (might end up going next summer now instead), I wouldn't hesitate to do that trip in a Tesla but would be a bit more apprehensive in any other kind of EV.

Only for the long trips, and this is exactly their intended use, even if I had one on my doorstep I'd rarely use it and AC charge at home (and I've free SuC)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Removes all range anxiety knowing you have a bank of reliable chargers waiting for you. Once Athenry, Enfield, Tralee, and Belfast open most of the island is within easy reach without having to rely on any other networks

Pretty much this….

I passed both Castlebellingham Superchargers on Sunday and didn’t need them so didn’t use them….

Ballacolla & Birdhill would be the ones I’d always need to stop at if passing them….

and as we've said before, Sligo, Derry and Waterford, maybe Athlone, boom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Really could do with a supercharger in the South East of the country alright maybe the m9 service station in Carlow or somewhere like that would benefit both motorway users to Dublin or Waterford and also that general South East area

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The biggest one missing for me is somewhere on the M6 Dublin - Galway (on the Galway side)

Yet again I had to rely on the ESB "super" charger at Galway Plaza this week after a trip from Dublin deep down into Connemara and back. Yet again it was unused and a 15 minute top up was enough to get me home. But I was lucky.

I pulled in there on my way to Mayo a few weeks ago.. I arrived and it was empty.

2 minutes later another Model 3 arrived and plugged into the 50kW unit.

another 10 minutes later and 2 Model S's arrived within a minute of each other...

I told the 1st Model S guy it would be worth having a CHAdeMO adaptor for situations like this... as the CHAdeMO plug on the 150kW unit was just sitting idle, and by that stage I was only pulling about 65kW so had someone plugged in the CHAdeMO it wouldn't have affected me whatsoever...

Well I was on my own, so I could even get 22kW AC if any of them were occupied. Which would then have taken an hour instead of 15 minutes. No big deal as I was on my own, but not great if you're there with the whole family.

If I could buy a CHAdeMO adapter for under €100, I would. But they go for much more than that, which I could not justify for the 30 minutes it could possibly save me no likely more than once a year

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is why the model S/X is so great. Spend 500 quid and you can charge on Chademo, CCS and fast AC. You'll never be stuck. It's unfortunate that the Tesla and ecars network in ireland is still so bad that it necessitates this

Existing number of free CHAdeMO chargers in Scotland messing with used price of the CHAdeMO adaptor, may change soon as Scotland de-centralised free charging so pay for use now creeping in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

What rate do they charge on FastAC?

Edit: I just noticed Tralee on the Coming Soon list. When was that added, I never noticed it before?

The older ones with the optional dual charger can charge at 23kW. Quite handy in Ireland with many hundreds of ESB 23kW charge points (including all the new ones at many Tescos) and even all the new Lidls everywhere that have the free to use 23kW EasyGo charge points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Tralee is the only one left with Q3 2021 the rest of coming soon were pushed to Q4 2021 or Q1 2022 (Athenry)

Any idea where in Tralee? A hotel or SC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

From what I read elsewhere it will be located in Dunnes Stores NCR car park.

I found a reference in an article from the pre-COVID era. the article has nothing to do with Tesla but gets mentioned. Don't know if their plans changed or not but it seems they were in the books in 2019.

He also predicts the continued need for technological progress, and cites Ballygarry’s recent €250,000 deal with Tesla to become the first supercharging station in the south West of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brianberu

Looks like they have started work on the Johnstown Estate supercharger. That white crate had Tesla written on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

There are Tesla Superchargers in-situ in the Ballygarry car park. Not up and running yet, but they're physically installed. Turn left after the entrance and left again - more or less opposite the doors entering the Pavilion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

Glad to see some activity at last at Johnstown Estate.

Doesn't look like a Commencement Notice has been lodged yet for a substation there, but unsurprising given how long it can take to get a slot with ESB to upgrade the power into a site.

As an aside, the next time anyone is out at the Johnstown Estate, have a drive around the development and have a look at the sea-containers dumped around the place in front of private residences by the Estates owner. The residents claim it is part of an ongoing attempt to force them to sell up. Is actually quite shocking to see. Appalling behaviour in my view.

Article from the Independent a few months back:

That's nice to know. Some pictures would be even nicer as you know ...thousands words ... I' prefer this location to the previous reported one as it is outside town. I guess they wait for ESB to connect them to the grid. It is so frustrating with the snail pace. Was speaking with a guy in work. Tesla just opened shop this year in Romania. They've installed 5 superchargers in 6 months all 6x250kW and the crazy bit is that EVs there are scarce. One of the lowest uptake in the whole Europe. Croatia has 8 SuCs. Czech Rep 7. Probably Poland is less dense than us.

Lithuania had its 1st Supercharger opened in Kaunas in recent weeks, which is great for me as I plan on a road trip to Lithuania next summer... and this should be the big trip to use op the guts of my referral km's before they expire next October!

Plan is ferry to Cherbourg and then drive to Trelleborg in Sweden, and another ferry to Klaipeda in Lithuania... avoids driving through Poland and saves around 800km of driving!

Great to see movement after years of stalling, Enfield great for me

Tesla Supercharger at Ballygary House Hotel in Tralee is now open for business…

• Advertisement

Super stuff, ‘cmon Enfield

Advertisement