Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla have updated their website and now all the V2s are listed at 150kW

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The beginning of the end of Tesla, as they are voluntarily relinquishing their USP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Only time will tell. If Tesla manages to get onto tenders for service stations in the likes of FR or DE where they have subsidies in the order of billions it is going to make a hell for the "non-Tesla" networks. They have knowledge they have the resources, they can move very fast and be paid to do it. It is like somebody paying you for your own advertising. We don't have good experience with SuC which is scarce compared to the rest of Europe but still high praised compared to one national network. I think in the real markets it will result in competition forcing the "non-Tesla" networks to up their games. The likes of Fastned are in a pickle right now. Can they compete with a trillion-dollar company?

Any news from Sandyford? I saw people going to see model Y. Is there any movement on around the building? I thing the SuC is supposed to be on right hand side as you enter the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

charged at mahon point yesterday, 50kwh added in 35 minutes for €18, just simple plug & walk away, peaked at 183kw in a model 3 with 25% Soc on a cold battery, its a seamless experience be interesting to see what happens when they open it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I think keeping it proprietary is not their style, and I assume they are having the other manufacturers foot the majority of the expansion bill.

I've not had to queue for a Tesla charger once, but I've queued for eCars many times. I just cannot see the sense in Tesla willfully allowing this to happen as they are aware of that advantage. I suspect they will charge other brands a premium to get in, and use the proceeds to avoid capacity issues. If not -> complete madness and brain eating ensues.

"Based on the source code of the app, Tesla will allow other EV owners to purchase Supercharger membership packages. There is no mention of pricing within the app yet, other than references to paying “a lower price per kWh,” saving “on your monthly charging costs with a Membership.”

It also mentions that the membership will be billed on a monthly basis."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

I find it hard to believe that a publicly listed company would deliberately sabotage itself for no apparent reason. I suspect that there is massive potential in becoming the global leader in public EV charging infrastructure. All the while car manufacturing is highly competitive and whilst Telsa currently enjoy an advantage at the moment in the EV world, this will be eroded as time goes on as other manufacturers play catchup

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Time to start looking at the Ioniq 5 for me. I went for a tesla on account of the superchargers. If they are available to every Tom, Dick and Harry then the "uniqueness" is gone as far as I'm concerned. Interesting to see how it works when cars who cannot reverse in and charge on the rear passenger side attempt to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

This is true. The financial markets like alternative and recurring revenue streams, too, so it could play out well for them in the long run. If Tesla becomes the de facto charging network

They have the experience and can install fairly quickly, perhaps with this new revenue stream they'll have more cash to fiance the further expansion of Supercharger network and can either build more faster or make it cheaper for Tesla owners to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

As a Tesla owner that decision baffles me. However I'd love to stay on EV but dump Tesla next time I purchase so I guess ultimately it's a good thing. The only possible reason to get a Y over a Hyundai or Kia is gone.

Looks like they've updated the filters on the Tesla.com map, but doesn't show the superchargers yet.

Nicely timed announcement to coincide with the kickoff of COP26.

On Site

Does the Supercharger cable reach all EVs?

Certain Supercharger site layouts may not be suitable for some cars. Please do not obstruct other cars by parking over the lines if the cable cannot comfortably reach your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That'll happen alright. Can't wait to see the first pictures of a car taking up 2 spots because the cable wasn't long enough to reach their charging port!!

Hopefully, they can come up with a technology way to apply an equivalent to the Idle charge for when this happens.

If you park diagonally across superchargers, you'll be charged a per-minute fee for each supercharger that you 'ICE'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So the reason to buy a tesla (unless buying an older one with free lifetime supercharging) is now going.

VAG and BMW among others must be rubbing their hands with glee at this one.

Possibly they are, but they also know that they're handing recurring revenue over to Tesla, that Tesla can use to further their expansion / growth plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Elon is looking at giving 6 Billion to help world hunger. Don’t think Tesla owners worries about queues at the Super chargers is high on his list.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

TSLA share has gone up on this news, so obviously this is considered good for the future revenues of Tesla. Not bad.

Cost of charging for the plebs is twice as high as it is for owners of Teslas though 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Unless you pay a subscription fee, less than 20€ a month, then you pay same as Tesla owners

Holy moly: TSLA up $65 today so far.

investors and financial services sector love the recurring revenue.

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2021/11/01/tesla-is-opening-its-supercharger-network-to-other-evs-for-the-first-time/

During the earnings call in July, Andrew Baglino, Tesla’s senior VP of powertrain and energy engineering, made the case that opening the Supercharger network to non-Teslas could result in lower electricity costs overall.

“Increasing the utilization of the network actually reduces our costs, which allows us to lower charging prices for our customers and make the network more profitable, allows us to grow the network faster,” he said. “And no matter what, we’re going to continue to aggressively expand the network capacity, increasing charging speeds, improving the trip planning tools to protect against site congestion using dynamic pricing, as Elon mentioned.”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cheaper than Ionity by the looks of it and only 20c more expensive than ESB.

I wonder what would be the price for non-Tesla car as Tesla owner. I bet IE will be one of the last to open.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The trial period is only at sites with more than 10 stalls.... so hopefully it never comes to Ireland.

I get that the Supercharger network is the envy of all other EV owners and manufacturers and opening the network to other EVs loses some of the prestige and perceived benefits of owning a Tesla. But, if it means that there's more investment, quicker, in more Superchargers around the country, is that not a good thing?

The Tesla owners will still have the superior experience of just plug and play charging, that's for sure. Less faffing with apps, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

I wonder would it also open up the Tesla only destination chargers at hotels and the like, or be confined to the super charger network.

Timing is everything with Tesla, COP26 is on the money.

Can't see the Tesla EV prices dropping as a result of this - isn't it about EUR 1,500 per car that went towards the Supercharger network up to now? Will this put off some potential Irish buyers?

Between SpaceX, providing insurance, new lease financing, energy trading, solar/green energy solutions, and $6Bn to the WFP is Tesla really a car company anymore?

A steady stream of income is always preferable over peaks and troughs due to delays and deliveries, and access to Biden's plan is a big deal in the US.

Too big to fail? Now where have I heard that one before....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

How much money is there actually in car charging though? I greatly value the supercharger network because it gives me the confidence to drive long distances in my €50k car without ever really worrying about being unable to charge or having to queue. That said I've probably used it 5-6 times in the two years I've owned the car, I'd imagine quite a lot of people are similar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Was that the reason to buy a Tesla? Thought it was the car and the tech. No?

Advertisement