Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wonder if it will see dublin residents using their free supercharging !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    I wonder if it will see dublin residents using their free supercharging !

I won't be going there and back to save myself 70kWh * 1.1 including losses * €0.0478 per kWh incl. VAT = €3.50 saving if that's what you are asking :p

But it's handy to have and if I'm passing anyway and I'm low and I have nothing better to do, I might as well top up and have a wee look around the nice shiny cars

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just seeing your losses calculation there reminded me, Tesla are the only supplier that only charge for electricity gained by the car and not electricity supplied by charger, makes them even cheaper again compared to the competition

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I'd use it, free coffee at the service center, and take advantage of MCU2 !

Sometimes getting out of the house these days is a benefit, not a waste!

slave1 wrote: »
    Just seeing your losses calculation there reminded me, Tesla are the only supplier that only charge for electricity gained by the car and not electricity supplied by charger, makes them even cheaper again compared to the competition

Didn't know that. Every day is a school day. And funny you mention that, many people on the continent with Teslas don't have home charging. Why would you over there where i.e. in the Netherlands most people pay about 22c / kWh and don't have night rate (as it's not available or doesn't make sense to get it even with an EV) and Tesla only charges a few cent per kWh more over there. A home charger would never pay for itself and there is public charging (and Tesla Superchargers) everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

I thought that went away some time last year?

That's because of the hardware.
    The supercharger units are dumb units, the control hardware is in the car and back at HQ

markpb wrote: »
    I thought that went away some time last year?

No.
    They charged before for energy added to the battery only.
    Now they charge for energy added to the battery plus energy consumed while idle from the SuC too. (EG AC use)
    They do not charge for the 10+% losses from the EVSE to the car.

That's because of the hardware.
    The supercharger units are dumb units, the control hardware is in the car and back at HQ

Didn't know that either. How does that explain though how technically Tesla could allow the new V3 Superchargers to charge non-Teslas for a few days last year as a publicity stunt when Musk was meeting Diess? There must be some smarts in those chargers that bypassed the usually "ok" from the car.

unkel wrote: »
    Didn't know that either. How does that explain though how technically Tesla could allow the new V3 Superchargers to charge non-Teslas for a few days last year as a publicity stunt when Musk was meeting Diess? There must be some smarts in those chargers that bypassed the usually "ok" from the car.

I don't know if they have added some checks in the V3 hardware but for V2 it's for sure just a dumb unit. The car has to give the OK.

I presume if it's rolled out to other OEMs the authentication will be by the app, which will then also give the ok via HQ? Elon was very prominent in the messaging that the app would be required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Why would you over there where i.e. in the Netherlands most people pay about 22c / kWh and don't have night rate (as it's not available or doesn't make sense to get it even with an EV) and Tesla only charges a few cent per kWh more over there. A home charger would never pay for itself and there is public charging (and Tesla Superchargers) everywhere

Does that make sense though? Charging barely a few cents more more than home charging seems illogical, from many angles - environmental, not incentivising night time off-peak charging, clogging chargers during the day when they could be needed more by those on a long journey etc.

Kramer wrote: »
    Does that make sense though? Charging barely a few cents more more than home charging seems illogical, from many angles - environmental, not incentivising night time off-peak charging, clogging chargers during the day when they could be needed more by those on a long journey etc.

Tesla obviously doesn't think localised much. A lot of their stuff is decided from HQ in California. Like setting prices for second hand CPO cars globally in the early hours of the morning our time :D

You don't have the option of 6 anymore with the V3. It's 4 or 8.

Just on this, Tesla opened a 6 stall V3 last month in the UK (Adderstone)

You don't have the option of 6 anymore with the V3. It's 4 or 8.

Or 56

Linky

Or 62

Linky

:D

Just on this, Tesla opened a 6 stall V3 last month in the UK (Adderstone)
    Interesting. Is it 1 V3 block (4 V3 plugs) and 1 V2 block (2 V2 plugs)?

V3 cabinets are built to support 4 stalls.

I believe V3 and they simply only installed 2 stalls on one of the cabinets

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Any sign of them building any of the proposed sites other than Sandyford? Handy for anyone coming to Dublin but I live about a 25 minute walk from there so I won't be getting much use out of it. Something similar in Cork would be useful, as well as Athenry.

I took the car to Kinsale last summer and was able to get by on using the AC charging in the town, but the charger was in serious in demand and would have been much easier to stop in Cork and charge it fully and arrive to Kinsale with 80%.

Just the Enfield application that went in recently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Any sign of them building any of the proposed sites other than Sandyford? .

No.
    They are all coming soon 2021...I would not hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm pretty sure I'll no longer own a Tesla by the time they actually build those stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

zg3409 wrote: »
    No.
    They are all coming soon 2021...I would not hold your breath.

Lies.....

.....Athenry Target opening in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

Or 56
    Linky

Or 62

Linky

:D

Wow. Driving in there if it was busy in a white M3 SR+ would make me feel like I was in a Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

innrain wrote: »
    The new application for Supercharger @ Sandyford
    https://planning.agileapplications.ie/dunlaoghaire/application-details/89027
    Decision date due May 20th
    Permission granted. My new local :D

See you there innrain on our weekly free charge. The free coffee, drinks and snacks there are pretty decent too :D

And if you're bored you can race a Model 3 Performance over the Wicklow mountains for a bit. For free, naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

See you there innrain on our weekly free charge. The free coffee, drinks and snacks there are pretty decent too :D

And if you're bored you can race a Model 3 Performance over the Wicklow mountains for a bit. For free, naturally.

It's free?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

jusmeig wrote: »
    It's free?
    Free for some, cheap for others

jusmeig wrote: »
    It's free?
    Free if you have free supercharging

innrain wrote: »
    Permission granted. My new local :D

Great news but with just the 4 stalls I'd say it will be jammers with all the local free supercharging bunch.
    Roll on more Superchargers!!!

I'd go as much for the coffee and eyeballing teslas as I would for the free charging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

I guess this might mean some of the 'free' chargers at lidl/dunnes might become more available now !

Advertisement