Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

While I was looking to buy another brand EV, I wondered why there was such defensiveness from the Tesla owners about the SuC network.

Circumstances changed and I ended up with an Model 3. I used the Superchargers in Castlebellingham and realised the difference this makes when there were so many stalls to choose from compared to the single ESB unit at the same site.

I understand the reluctance of Tesla owners to give this up. But if it finances a quicker expansion of similarly sized SuC sites around the country, then I'm in favour of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Just use a UK address on your Tesla Account - They all show up for me now.

The way I read it all SuC included in the pilot are open to anyone with an account in one of the pilot countries - am I correct?

Would make a big difference driving in France this summer for non Tesla owners .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

I mus admit Ive changed my mind and have no issue now with opening up of the SuC network. I have an issue with the EV charging network period in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You mean Tesla could use the money to invest in and grow their supercharger network rather than letting chargers lie idle and making no money? I see what you mean anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There's currently 2 applegreen branded chargers at Birdhill. Soon to be more if their planning permission gets the go-ahead mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

That's it, really.

The SuC network is financed (or so I believe) by a portion of the purchase price of each Tesla vehicle, and the sites are already paid for so they could afford to leave them 'idle' as a poster for Teslas. That being said, they were leaving money on the table and probable recurring revenue that the finance people like, from subscriptions as people would prefer to get the 'Tesla' per kWh rate .

Although, I'm sure I'll change my mind when I can't charge the car because three VW ID cars are parked 'the wrong way' in the SuC stalls :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That's my concern. 2 cars parked "wrongly" is 4 chargers being taken.

There was a bit of a backlash on twitter about it but it seems to have died down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Also in Birdhill and Ballacolla as two regularly full locations the power is shared between two chargers so once they're over 50% full you're not getting full charging speeds.

While they may be idle at off peak times I'd imagine they'll be fairly busy over the summer weekends, Christmas etc..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It’s inevitable unfortunately

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭JOL1

i think the point is that Tesla are unlikely to take actions that would give rise to creating complaints from their own customer base, by making it more difficult to find a slot.. e.g when Sandyford finally does open it is a small site and the only one in Dublin. If that facilitated all vehicles it would become jammed with other brands, many of whom would not have capacity for accepting fast charge rates. (taking up valuable slots for long periods) Would be madness on their part. Unlike ESB who serve the whole market Tesla provide these SUC to complement their own brand.

Once the market matures with greater availability of charge sites it makes it easier and efficient to open to the mass market...hence the trials in other geographies.

• Advertisement

If Tesla create a cut off of, say 6, then Tralee, Cork and Sandyford won't be opened. Let's see

Birdhill only has 6 out of a possible 8 open. The other 2 have been covered over as long as I can remember.

Have never been commissioned since Day 1, I used there quite a bit and 3 was the most I've ever seen there, this was while I had free SuC so would always be staying a while to top right up.

Just had a nosey at the UK SuC opened up, includes a 4 stall V2 location, does not bode well so .... ...

I've used that SuC, not a hope of getting a charge perpendicular to the stalls and no extra room at either end. Was 3 stalls in use when I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Just had a long read through UK Tesla forum, does not bode well, 18 stall sites fully occupied and irregular parked cars blocking stalls which appear available in the car. 3 of the 4 Welsh sites were open pointing to most Irish sites apart from Tralee, but who knows really…

UK

Course it will be a shît show. They are designed and set up in a way to charge Tesla's. It's obvious it won't work in a situation where it's open house.

Of course Tesla will monitor the situation and take on board all feedback 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You’d imagine Tesla will have data showing Tesla’s first navigating to, they arriving at a SuC, but not plugging in… then cross reference that with how many non Tesla’s were using the site at that time, then check the CCTV to see what the issue was…

of the sites that are open, is it just a select number of stalls that are open, or is it all of them?

I do note your sarcasm on Tesla monitoring as it’s impossible.

Take Cork for example, nice 4 bay location, same as Sandyford will be.

If I arrive and a Tesla is charging i will leave a free space between the currently charging Tesla and me, I think that what most folk will do (especially if a V2 site). When I do this a non Tesla/“correctly” located charge port located EV will not be able to charge. Similar with two double blocking EVs….this will happen.

Difference is that with scenario 1, a Tesla will be able to charge, scenario 2 no EV will be able to charge…

Reading some of the comments on those Tesla forums and it's laughable.

It's Tesla's fault for not locating the charging units better.

It's Tesla's fault for not having long enough cables.

It's Tesla's fault that cars with charging ports located anywhere else than rear left are being inconvenienced.

Basically when Tesla started it's SuC network it should have been designed to suit other manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

Perhaps Tesla should have considered these problems before they started to open the network to other customers? Remember when the Model 3 was coming out and Tesla had already started to fit CCS heads to the SuC chargers? That’s the kind of foresight I would have expected when embarking on a change that will have a major impact on their customers.

That planning doesn’t have to be huge. Some new units are fitted perpendicular to the parking spaces and don’t have wheel stops fitted. Longer cables would have helped too.

Model 3 is out 3 years now and was a few years in development. I would doubt Tesla were giving much thought to where VW were thinking of putting their charger port back then!! The network was predominantly designed for complete ease of use as a Tesla owner.

Future sites may have to be given consideration to these problems but it's not really Tesla's fault for designing a charger that worked perfectly with their vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,043 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd imagine the long term goal was always to open up the network, or was at least spoken about internally 5+ years ago. This type of idea just doesn't pop up one morning and they start opening up a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

I think you missed my point. When Tesla were designing the model 3, they designed the SuC transition at the same time and the rollout went reasonably well. This time round, Tesla decided to open the SuC network and appear to have done very little operational planning for it. Even sites which only recently completed construction here have the same limiting factors. Why did Tesla with one hand start opening the network and with the other hand not do anything to make it work well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I find it laughable, that Tesla suffers from the same problem that Ecars do, that its ok to complain about Ecars and laugh at people who complain about Tesla charger position, cable length and parking position.

Woeful tales of parking in a wrong position. First world problems.

My recommendation is to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Any sign of them growing the network in the northwest?

Options look bare in this part of the world.

• Advertisement

True enough. It could come back and bite Tesla on the arse. I'd say the charging units were designed and built in house or via a third party. Economies of scale building them to be exactly the same for every site worldwide.

Now in their infinite wisdom they are saying everyone can use them, even though their primary use was designed for their own cars.

Maybe moving forward they'll take these ideas into consideration and lay out the stalls to suit all vehicles. However as a Tesla owner I'm sure pulling up to a busy site and finding no chargers available won't sit well with many.

Advertisement