Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was thinking this 'opening up' would only apply to newly installed SuC's, if they are subsidised.... so the existing ones would remain Tesla only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

The articles talk about Norway and Sweden.

I can't see Germany allowing this to happen even on a small scale without some sort of similar action in Germany itself, especially with the new factory being built there.

Whatever way you look at it, there seems to be a bit more pressure on them from different sides now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

unkel wrote: »
    From the articles it's about Tesla superchargers that were part funded with government subsidies in Finland being opened to non-Tesla EVs

Which is fair enough, I can only imagine this was in the contract somewhere before the subsidies were handed over. Not sure why Tesla did accept the subsidies in the first place though...

AFAIK there was not a cent in subsidies paid for any of the superchargers in Ireland, so there is no worry of that happening here.
    My understanding on the article which I first red in electrek they have applied because they want to open the network in Sept 2022. So I read . "Hey we are going to open anyway why not tap some public funds". It is very possible they will take the approach of installing Tesla SuC and generic chargers as with the destination chargers right now. The move will ease obtaining planning permissions. LC's would be more likely to award when their funds/people are involved. Working with the system and not against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agree with you there, inrain. Most likely some token access. To a single throttled old recycled charger at the back :p

Very unlikely to have full speed access to all Superchargers like all Tesla owners do

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Install one V2 unit at the back, put the plebs out there, and leave the network for tesla units.
    If there's unfettered access then I'm seeing the most compelling reason to buy a tesla being removed.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Install one V2 unit at the back, put the plebs out there, and leave the network for tesla units.
    If there's unfettered access then I'm seeing the most compelling reason to buy a tesla being removed.
    Is it though? In Ireland? I have the car for a month now drove it 3k km and didn't touch the SuC. I might though tomorrow but I think I can survive without it. It is going to be very reassuring when I drive to Kerry that @ Birdhill there are 8? stalls but most of the time I drive around Dublin and nothing close yet. What if as Tesla owner I get access to Ionity @30c/kWh? Would that not be nice? Tesla started opening stations in cooperation with Fastned in DE, Gridserve in UK maybe they will start doing some more and bring the Tesla standard to more and more stations and we would not be at the mercy of ecars. Look at Sandyford. ecars choose to limit the power available at one of the busiest chargers in the country while Tesla is building a substation. A freaking substation.

Ireland is a very small area and not really representative. UK and mainland europe, as well as NA, is more important. Those markets have ubiquitous SuC coverage.
    Even here it's important, Ionity is too expensive and otherwise you're waiting in a queue at a one off ecars charger thats probably broken or down on power.

I know I can get into my tesla and click a destination and get there. That's not true of any other EV. Even VAG EVs like etron/taycan/idX rely on the less good Ionity network.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

innrain wrote: »
    Is it though? In Ireland? I have the car for a month now drove it 3k km and didn't touch the SuC. I might though tomorrow but I think I can survive without it. It is going to be very reassuring when I drive to Kerry that @ Birdhill there are 8? stalls ...

Birdhill has 6 stalls with 1 stall permanently turned off/broken?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

I'd still buy a Tesla even without the SuC. I see this just as an added benefit rather than a deal breaker.

Travelling for work around the country is becoming more challenging when relying on eCars (especially during commuting hours) as the traffic is steadily increasing over the last 2 months. Ive started using Ionity again for pure convenience, but the SuC makes life so much easier - just rock up, plug in, toilet break, coffee and back on the road. No faffing around with cards /and or apps.

Looking forward to the Johnstown Estate SuC going live in next few months so the Galway-Dublin route is covered.

slave1 wrote: »
    Birdhill has 6 stalls with 1 stall permanently turned off/broken?

Is that the one with the sticker on it that says "non-Tesla owners charge here" :p

• Advertisement

wassie wrote: »
    the SuC makes life so much easier - just rock up, plug in, toilet break, coffee and back on the road. No faffing around with cards /and or apps.

We absolutely love this……

When I’ve used eCars DC charging in the wild over the last few months, it’s taken anything from 1 minute to 15 minutes to get the charge started after getting out of the car…. With the Superchargers it’s always less than 15-20 seconds….. every single time.

I hate wasting minutes/seconds after parking up to get the charge started..(sooner you start, the sooner you finish..).

There’s just no fcuking around on the Supercharger, but usually with eCars there’s always those few moments when you’re hoping it’s going to work….. and hoping……….. and hoping……..

There’s just no fcuking around on the Supercharger, but usually with eCars there’s always those few moments when you’re hoping it’s going to work….. and hoping……….. and hoping……..
    Makes your life... less boring :) But seriously now wouldn't be great if they bring this to the other drivers? Partnering with Fastned and have half and half

Is that the one with the sticker on it that says "non-Tesla owners charge here" :p

I dont recall seeing that sticker, but I've seen plenty of ecars stickers that seem to be a synonym

Ireland is small in the grand scheme of things, but if they're opening a new hub in Sandyford and another in Cork with more (Athenry) promised there must be something in it for Tesla. What rates are they charging new owners at the moment at superchargers, are they comparable to eCars?

Let's see how many new M3s are sold in the next 3 months, sales must be pushing the hubs along a bit faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hypothetical theory here...

Is there anyway Tesla could "hold" a charger if it knew someone was on the way to charge? If I put birdhill in my nav it tells me it is preconditioning the battery for optimum charging. Could it communicate with a charger to block it from being used by a non Tesla driver?

It would free up chargers for other drivers if it knew there was no demand from a Tesla owner.

I know that sometimes you will just drop in on the charger without putting it in your nav so that is an obstacle.

It is one of the benefits of being a Tesla owner that you have "exclusive" access to a very good charging system to be fair.

cannco253 wrote: »
    Ireland is small in the grand scheme of things, but if they're opening a new hub in Sandyford and another in Cork with more (Athenry) promised there must be something in it for Tesla. What rates are they charging new owners at the moment at superchargers, are they comparable to eCars?

Let's see how many new M3s are sold in the next 3 months, sales must be pushing the hubs along a bit faster.
    Cheaper.Faster.They actually work.

but how much moola are the charging? can we do a table comparing supercharger rates to ecars?

I know Tesla have realtime pricing in the UK is that in operation in Ireland as well?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

but how much moola are the charging? can we do a table comparing supercharger rates to ecars?

I know Tesla have realtime pricing in the UK is that in operation in Ireland as well?

Free for me for life :D

*assuming the car lasts that long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

I haven’t used them in Ireland but I think they are 29c/kW and they’re not in high enough demand to warrant the introduction of real-time pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

I've just purchased a 2015 Model S. I'm looking for an answer online but can't fine one, maybe someone on here can help? Do all Tesla superchargers in Ireland & EU work with type 2 connections or have they been upgraded to only use CCS? Also apologies in advance if my terminology is off, I'm new to this game. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

mickotoole wrote: »
    I've just purchased a 2015 Model S. I'm looking for an answer online but can't fine one, maybe someone on here can help? Do all Tesla superchargers in Ireland & EU work with type 2 connections or have they been upgraded to only use CCS? Also apologies in advance if my terminology is off, I'm new to this game. Thanks in advance.

Congrats, all the SuC in Ireland have both type 2 and CCS so you are grand here.
    There will be a variety of connections through Europe, if they are CCS ONLY then when you click on them in your Tesla there will be information to say ONLY CCS COMPATIBLE, all V3 (current generation) SuC are CCS ONLY.

slave1 wrote: »
    Congrats, all the SuC in Ireland have both type 2 and CCS so you are grand here.
    There will be a variety of connections through Europe, if they are CCS ONLY then when you click on them in your Tesla there will be information to say ONLY CCS COMPATIBLE, all V3 (current generation) SuC are CCS ONLY.
    Also, if you have not got the CCS upgrade the CCS only sites simply wont appear.

Also, if you have not got the CCS upgrade the CCS only sites simply wont appear.

Didn't know that. Every day is a school day. More clever stuff from Tesla.

I think the CCS upgrade is still discounted at €299, well worth it for peace of mind at that sort of money

Yes, its a must even if you have free SuC as it enables so much more access.
    I remember convincing you of this!

CCS Upgrade is only €299, and would be well worth it for any Model S owner..

Opens up the newer faster eCars units, as well as the Ionity network... (and as mentioned, the V3 Superchargers)

I think the CCS upgrade is still discounted at €299, well worth it for peace of mind at that sort of money

shop says €299 for the Model X CCS upgrade, so presume its still the same for the S

https://shop.tesla.com/en_ie/product/model-x-ccs-upgrade

Planning permission for Athenry is online They'll have a busy year
    http://www.eplanning.ie/GalwayCC/AppFileRefDetails/211046/0

Yes, its a must even if you have free SuC as it enables so much more access.
    I remember convincing you of this!

Indeed! The two most important reasons for me to go for it (given it was just reduced from €499 to €299 at the time):

1. emergencies when you are not charged - there is an ESB CCS charger round the corner from me

2. many new Supercharger stations will be CCS only going forward

Don't forget the fields of Athenry were meant to have an Apple data centre not that long ago.

Apple scrapped the whole thing after the planning opposition, even though local people wanted it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/apple-scraps-plan-for-850-million-data-centre-in-athenry-1.3490316

• Advertisement

8 stalls, nice

Advertisement