Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

cannco253 wrote: »
    Don't forget the fields of Athenry were meant to have an Apple data centre not that long ago.

Apple scrapped the whole thing after the planning opposition, even though local people wanted it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/apple-scraps-plan-for-850-million-data-centre-in-athenry-1.3490316

Wouldn't bring that much employment for the size of the facility, Data Centres are just gigantic facilities that house thousands of racks full of servers and networking equipment, could go for hours not seeing a single soul except maybe security doing their rounds. The environmental impact of construction, land destroyed and sheer mental power consumption doesn't really make up for such little job creation. The main thing is paying as little to no tax as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

slave1 wrote: »
    Congrats, all the SuC in Ireland have both type 2 and CCS so you are grand here.
    There will be a variety of connections through Europe, if they are CCS ONLY then when you click on them in your Tesla there will be information to say ONLY CCS COMPATIBLE, all V3 (current generation) SuC are CCS ONLY.
    Thanks, I'm delighted with myself! One more question. I'm still waiting on the log book to arrive to register the car with the app (previous owner never used the app apparently so can't transfer ownership). Will the superchargers still be available to me even though the car is not registered to my Tesla account and add a result not on my Tesla app?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

mickotoole wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm delighted with myself! One more question. I'm still waiting on the log book to arrive to register the car with the app (previous owner never used the app apparently so can't transfer ownership). Will the superchargers still be available to me even though the car is not registered to my Tesla account and add a result not on my Tesla app?

Yes, the SuC are locked to car, not App. On the assumption you have free supercharging just reverse into charger and hook up, no app, no access car required...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Wouldn't bring that much employment for the size of the facility, Data Centres are just gigantic facilities that house thousands of racks full of servers and networking equipment, could go for hours not seeing a single soul except maybe security doing their rounds. The environmental impact of construction, land destroyed and sheer mental power consumption doesn't really make up for such little job creation. The main thing is paying as little to no tax as possible.

The amount of times environmental impact studies have stopped planning in Galway is crazy.

How close to the Galway plaza will this be? I wonder will Pat McD object? If it’s out in the middle of nowhere it’s not great for anyone if there are no facilities .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Looks like its near the M17 running North/South and the M6 running Eat/West , so pretty ideal.

Better than the Ballacolla one where you cant really get there easily from the Limerick road

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Someone on Cork rebel Ev owners suggesting Mahon point shopping centre is getting a bank of superchargers.

FB-IMG-1624650924095.jpg

Weird location (accessibility wise) but great to have fast charging at shopping centre locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Yeah, someone posted something from the shopping centre saying they were coming in some thread here.

[edit]

This post

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117411802&postcount=104

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

JohnC. wrote: »
    Yeah, someone posted something from the shopping centre saying they were coming in some thread here.

[edit]

This post

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117411802&postcount=104

This thread ;)

Someone on Cork rebel Ev owners suggesting Mahon point shopping centre is getting a bank of superchargers.

FB-IMG-1624650924095.jpg

Weird location (accessibility wise) but great to have fast charging at shopping centre locations.

4 units initially, with a view to expansion in future….. plus Mahon Point saying they’ll be installing other (non Tesla) chargers too, so I’m guessing a bank of AC chargers….

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

Can someone explain the logic of SuCs at Enfield and Athenry to me? They’re both relatively close to cities on the same national route so anyone travelling west from Dublin won’t need a charge by the time they get to Enfield and anyone travelling east from Galway won’t need a charge by the time they get to Athenry. Surely locating one midway between the cities (like Castlebellingham is for Dublin and Belfast) would be more useful?

Cork and Sandyford fit their policy of having urban SuCs but I’m not sure I see the priority of those when there are still many IC routes without SuCs. AFAIK all the major routes in England were covered before the first urban SuC was fitted. Even at that, a charge point along the mid-point of the M50 would be more generally useful than one in south Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

4 units initially, with a view to expansion in future….. plus Mahon Point saying they’ll be installing other (non Tesla) chargers too, so I’m guessing a bank of AC chargers….

Cool. Still seems a weird place for fast charging. Ok if you're wanting to hang around Mahon for a bit, but at 250kW you'd not have to wait long. If you're only passing through then Mahon is horrible to access. You'll spend 10 minutes getting to the units and usually longer getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Cool. Still seems a weird place for fast charging. Ok if you're wanting to hang around Mahon for a bit, but at 250kW you'd not have to wait long. If you're only passing through then Mahon is horrible to access. You'll spend 10 minutes getting to the units and usually longer getting out.

Good location for people heading to West Cork. I agree somewhere a bit closer to the ring road would be better but looks better than the Vienna Woods Hotel.

In relation to the 2 sites on the Dub - Galway route, not all journeys to Dublin on that route might pass Athenry, so having one just outside Dublin is perfect… get a nice top up to take care of all your business on the way into the city, and same again on the way back out of the city….. similar with the Galway one, top up before hitting the city and heading further west into Connemara…

I’d love a site at the M50/M1 interchange in Clonshaugh. It’s got a service station & 2 hotels, and is close to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

eddhorse wrote: »
    Looks like its near the M17 running North/South and the M6 running Eat/West , so pretty ideal.

Better than the Ballacolla one where you cant really get there easily from the Limerick road

My guess for Athenry will be at the Raheen Roods Hotel - they already do destination charging, have the carpark space to accommodate a stall and will be able to provide facilities i.e. toilets and refreshments.

Not as convenient as motorway services, but like the Johnstown Estate, only a two minute drive off the motorway - small price to pay for convenience of supercharging.
    markpb wrote: »
    Can someone explain the logic of SuCs at Enfield and Athenry to me? They’re both relatively close to cities on the same national route so anyone travelling west from Dublin won’t need a charge by the time they get to Enfield and anyone travelling east from Galway won’t need a charge by the time they get to Athenry. Surely locating one midway between the cities (like Castlebellingham is for Dublin and Belfast) would be more useful?

Cork and Sandyford fit their policy of having urban SuCs but I’m not sure I see the priority of those when there are still many IC routes without SuCs. AFAIK all the major routes in England were covered before the first urban SuC was fitted. Even at that, a charge point along the mid-point of the M50 would be more generally useful than one in south Dublin.

I have found from traveling all over, the 200km distance is a challenge in winter months in a SR+ at motorway speeds as it's right on the range limit. If it was a single SuC at the midpoint then you would struggle in winter months to be able to do a full charge, travel to Galway or Dublin and then return without a top up somewhere (if that makes sense). That top up would most likely involve the ESB eCars lottery - especially in Galway where there are not a lot of options currently.

Athlone is not quite the mid-point, but is very well serviced now by ESB (150kW & 50kW) & Ionity.

I travel the GAL-DUB route a lot for work and would typically top up at Enfield services and Galway Plaza. And with traffic now increasing, finding these are regularly occupied during commute times, meaning I divert to Athlone (Ionity/ESB) assuming I have enough charge. This means more uncertainty in my trip which is a headache. The proposed SuC locations match these locations and in my view are ideal for the M3 SR+, not such an issue with the LR or P.

Having stations closer to each city at means you can do the majority of the journey, do a quick top up to get you around town and back to the SuC, then a full recharge as you come out of town to see you back again. i.e. 2 recharges knowing there will be availability and reliability.

As eddhorse notes, Athenry also services traffic on the M18/M17.

Johnstown Estate will not only serve Galway, but those heading onwards to Sligo also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm on the fence with Enfield. If I'm going Dublin to Galway with a full charge it means I'm literally on the road 20 to 25 minutes so there's absolutely no point in stopping.

On the way home I'll stop in Athlone as it's roughly half way and depending on my state of charge I'd probably use Ionity for reliability. Not a chance am I driving an hour and 45 then stopping 20 minutes from home to top up.

What are Tesla's reasoning behind their placement of SUC's? Is there data to show the areas which would be busy with Tesla owners?

Enfield.
    Not all journeys start nor stop in Dublin eg Galway direction to Wicklow/Wexford so therefore Enfield is perfect.
    We've had no SuC installs for 4 years and now 4 on the cards, these should be happy days instead of picky picky

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

Enfield.
    Not all journeys start nor stop in Dublin eg Galway direction to Wicklow/Wexford so therefore Enfield is perfect.
    We've had no SuC installs for 4 years and now 4 on the cards, these should be happy days instead of picky picky

That’s a funny attitude. This is a discussion forum, we’re discussing things. We’re also potential users of the new SuCs so we would like to see them positioned in a way that suits ourselves (naturally) and the majority of people. It could be that Tesla have valid reasons for those locations, it could be that they made a mistake with some of them because the team involved aren’t based in Ireland. Either way, they’re a commercial company providing a service, not a charity that we should be unquestionably grateful for any hand out they have got us.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Not a chance am I driving an hour and 45 then stopping 20 minutes from home to top up.

This makes no sense! Why wouldn’t you do this?

If a SuC is only 20 minutes from your home, chances are you’d only need to charge for 3-4 minutes to get enough juice onboard to make it home…

If a journey from Destination to Home will require a 3-4 minute top up to make it home, why would it matter where that 3-4 minute top up was had?

It would make sense to make that stop closer to home with a lower SoC so that you’d get even faster charging rates…. You’d barely have time for a hit & miss!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

What are Tesla's reasoning behind their placement of SUC's? Is there data to show the areas which would be busy with Tesla owners?

Unless someone has inside knowledge we are all speculating. A couple of obvious ones in my mind are:
    • Availability of power - Biggest single challenge in many cases.
    • Commercial Agreements - I understand Tesla was originally in discussions with Applegreen Enfield for SuC, but an agreement was unable to be reached.
    • Big data - Tesla would no doubt have a massive amount of location & trip data that could be used to assist in planning & forecasting.

That’s a funny attitude. This is a discussion forum, we’re discussing things. We’re also potential users of the new SuCs so we would like to see them positioned in a way that suits ourselves (naturally) and the majority of people. It could be that Tesla have valid reasons for those locations, it could be that they made a mistake with some of them because the team involved aren’t based in Ireland. Either way, they’re a commercial company providing a service, not a charity that we should be unquestionably grateful for any hand out they have got us.

It’s not an attitude, it’s an opinion.
    Dublin, Belfast and Cork are no brainers, these are for the Capitals service centres and Cork location is fine for me as that’s the side of Cork I’d be using, I don’t mind a few minutes out of the way to use them, nearer the kettle would be better but such is life. I would not like central Cork for sure.
    Enfield I’ve already gave an opinion on.
    Galway, it would be nicer to have it closer to the City but am happy to make do as that also covers motorway to Shannon airport without need to enter the headache of Galway traffic.
    We’re missing NorthWest (what’s new) so a SuC outside Sligo would be great.
    Bonus locations could be Wexford/Londonderry.

Your post mentions possible locations, do something about it.
    I’ve emailed Tesla and Tweeted Elon and Tesla to start back at the Irish SuC network and the Sligo/Wexford/Londonderry locations suggestions.
    Discussions on an Internet forum are well and good but don’t achieve the same penetration as actually contacting Tesla themselves, they are not mind readers.
    Get your emails and Tweets out folks, we have over 2,500 Tesla’s in ROI now so the voice is only greater.

Was mid last year where Elon himself gave a short “On it” to someone else’s Tweet about the Irish SuC network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

For sure, no point bickering, the more the merrier.

If Tesla are going to invest in superchargers then between two motorways makes great sense.
    Also they will be probably be looking at data for their "least" capable device, ie the SR+

Northwest is going to be tricky, that M17/N17 from Tuam to Sligo and then the M4/N4 from Mullingar to Sligo, makes Sligo a good location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Galway Plaza at Kiltullagh has the 150kW charger and a triple head unit and there's another triple head unit at Carnmore so no need to go into the city if you're heading for Shannon and I certainly wouldn't advise it either given how bad it can get.

New eCars hub planned for Oranmore who knows when, so the Tesla Athenry site will sit somewhere in the middle.

If you can charge your Tesla at Athenry it should free up the 150kW charger for other drivers, so probably better for everyone given the limited resources at the moment.

cannco253 wrote: »

If you can charge your Tesla at Athenry it should free up the 150kW charger for other drivers, so probably better for everyone given the limited resources at the moment.

That's actually a real good point, SuC take need away from poor eCars network, that angle never occurred to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Had my first go @ SuC Birdhill. Boy some ICEing going on there. 1A and 3A in use. 4A/B not working. A Ford parked on both 2A/B. Tried to squeeze on 1B/2A no luck with the cable. "Miss would you mind moving to allow me to charge". "Do you want me to move there?" she point to stalls 4. "I'd rather you move on the spot in the front. These are for electric cars". "I'm just waiting someone." She moves across stalls 4. 5 mins later a passat comes by. Turned out it was a meeting point. You can't miss the 8 Tesla signs. In the 30 mins I stayed there 5 teslas came or went and more that 7 non ev parked there. Forgot about charging. Event-less.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

innrain wrote: »
    Had my first go @ SuC Birdhill. Boy some ICEing going on there. 1A and 3A in use. 4A/B not working. A Ford parked on both 2A/B. Tried to squeeze on 1B/2A no luck with the cable. "Miss would you mind moving to allow me to charge". "Do you want me to move there?" she point to stalls 4. "I'd rather you move on the spot in the front. These are for electric cars". "I'm just waiting someone." She moves across stalls 4. 5 mins later a passat comes by. Turned out it was a meeting point. You can't miss the 8 Tesla signs. In the 30 mins I stayed there 5 teslas came or went and more that 7 non ev parked there. Forgot about charging. Event-less.

It's a joke. I had to ask a yoke in a Nissan Micra to move so I could charge. The face on her....pity there wasn't active clamping or someone there to tell them to FCUK OFF!!
    I wouldn't mind but the actual car park is bloody massive!!

You need to feed that back to Tesla, they take that pretty seriously and will follow up with Birdhill management....apart from the fact it’s illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

It's a joke. I had to ask a yoke in a Nissan Micra to move so I could charge. The face on her....pity there wasn't active clamping or someone there to tell them to FCUK OFF!!
    I wouldn't mind but the actual car park is bloody massive!!

This is my fear for the Supercharger at Mahon Point in Cork. It’s going to be Iced a lot I feel :/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It’s not an attitude, it’s an opinion.
    Dublin, Belfast and Cork are no brainers, these are for the Capitals service centres and Cork location is fine for me as that’s the side of Cork I’d be using, I don’t mind a few minutes out of the way to use them, nearer the kettle would be better but such is life. I would not like central Cork for sure.
    Enfield I’ve already gave an opinion on.
    Galway, it would be nicer to have it closer to the City but am happy to make do as that also covers motorway to Shannon airport without need to enter the headache of Galway traffic.
    We’re missing NorthWest (what’s new) so a SuC outside Sligo would be great.
    Bonus locations could be Wexford/Londonderry.

Your post mentions possible locations, do something about it.
    I’ve emailed Tesla and Tweeted Elon and Tesla to start back at the Irish SuC network and the Sligo/Wexford/Londonderry locations suggestions.
    Discussions on an Internet forum are well and good but don’t achieve the same penetration as actually contacting Tesla themselves, they are not mind readers.
    Get your emails and Tweets out folks, we have over 2,500 Tesla’s in ROI now so the voice is only greater.

Was mid last year where Elon himself gave a short “On it” to someone else’s Tweet about the Irish SuC network.
    I'd prefer someowhere that actually existed

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭WattsUp

Athenry is a great location. It covers the M18/M17 North south so a enables Cork/Kerry to Donegal/Derry in a SR M3.

Also it will act as a final topping up point for people heading to rural North Clare, Galway and South Mayo. It's the recharge point to get back to Dublin coming from those areas too. Birdhill does this job for Kerry/ Limerck and south Clare.

• Advertisement

WattsUp wrote: »
    Also it will act as a final topping up point for people heading to rural North Clare, Galway and South Mayo. It's the recharge point to get back to Dublin coming from those areas too. Birdhill does this job for Kerry/ Limerck and south Clare.

This is it exactly.. It's a great topping up point for heading West (NW/SW), the same way Birdhill is for heading SW, and then equally great for journeys heading eastwards from those 'remote' locations.

Strangely enough, even though it's one of the (slightly) shorter motorway routes in the country, it's probably the one that would benefit most from having a SuC at both ends of it given the huge amounts of distance you can travel beyond the SuC sites on each side... (same way the Cork one will help in getting all over Cork from Mahon Point).

Advertisement