Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's very busy at night. Actually it's busy all the time. I'm just over 10 minutes away and I would drop over once or twice a fortnight after 9 and I've always had to wait. And yes there's always at least one taxi there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Was the sales part open or was it evening? I suppose I can understand the building being locked up at night/weekend (Though not satisfactory from a toilet point of view), but surely on a weekday you can get through to the toilets via the show room?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbh lads I've never seen as many complaints about free food and drinks at a charging area. You're lucky they ever had these. There in the middle of anywhere in the States with nothing attached. Should be in and out charging in 10 15 mins anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sale part open with staff, it was 3pm of a thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

Would be nice if you could roll up to a charging station most times and not have to wait 10-15 minutes just to get on a charger in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seems a better ask than a catered cabin with bathroom and seats....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Both the car and the app showing 2 free chargers. Except none were free. The guy in front was being told the same on his car and app.

Had a great chat with a couple of guys there this afternoon. Always good to shoot the breeze with some fellow EV heads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Last time I was there I was told there would be a 25 minute wait, which went up to 35 minutes when I got near, when I got there I waited 5 minutes, not exactly a complaint I'll admit

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Things about to get a bit better.

Dublin 2nd site, new site in NW and Sandyford expansion, as well as NI West (Derry?) all before 2024 is over.

Also, Castlebellingham & Birdhill are safe from the chop…

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I thought the most interesting part that was shared was that ESB have jumped on the containerised substation bandwagon which should help with deployments for all networks.

I'd guess that all the sites with EU funding will need to be open access.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Those with free SuC smiling

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

That's some pretty sweet news, wheres the source for that screenshot @AndyBoBandy ?

And lets hope 8+ stalls at every "open" location.

Remember Tesla has expansion plans a few years back and nothing happened so here's hoping

The head honcho's of both the U.K. & Irish Tesla owners facebook groups had a meeting with Tesla, and posted the results in the group.

..and they should really open up Castlebellingham straight away, always deserted when I charge there

At a guess I'd say as part of the deal with Applegreen to keep Superchargers there & Birdhill, is that they are not opened. ever. (or at least until Applegreen still have a say at the sites in question)...

This could be interesting also, and perhaps help them achieve their ambitious targets here…. Essence grid connection takes so long…

Megapack is 3.9MWh right? which would put ~50kWh in 78 cars before it's emptied itself.... and a steady 50kW feed would put 1.2MWh into it in 24 hours... so therefore it could comfortably put out 200kWh per hour for 24 hours before it would start to struggle... so yeah... will definitely work here.

Yes that was my first thought. I'd say the agreement is like a "white peace" in wartime. IE: you can keep your sites, but no more at AG sites and you can't open up.

Can't see that here, I think the most likely outcome is that Tesla are going to build more sites that are open to all and avail the state funding that was announced.

But anyway;

meanwhile in Sandyford;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Brilliant news, thanks for sharing!

Delighted to see Castlebellingham stay put as I use that regularly!! And anything at all in the North West will be a great help too.

• Advertisement

Yeah, and you'd hope that the one planned for 'west' Northern Ireland would be in or around Derry.. so all of a sudden if that gets done, and a site in Sligo/Mayo direction, we are sorted... then expansion is the name of the game..

Best EV to tow that yoke out of the way is parked beside it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭talla

Is there really anything new here though apart from the Applegreen sites remaining and some vague future promises?

Ecars get dragged over the coals constantly regarding their roll out plan and this is just the same smoke and mirrors as them.

A site in North Dublin was anoounced probably about 18 months ago so its just re-issuing previous plans.

The site for the North West, my guess this will be Cavan as that was the last site you could actually vote for a Super Charger.

As for Sandyford, I can't see how they would fit any extra Superchargers, there is no space. So unless its a brand new site, I can see that happening.

Northern Ireland site probably Derry but as thats UK not really relevant to ROI operations.

It's different when there's a new hire that's going to have to justify his/her role, that extra push makes all the difference, it's up to him/her to make a role for themselves and not delivering the plan weakens the role

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

For Sandyford upgrade they can use customer car park. Aerial view shows "plenty" of space vs the actual space used for the current SuC. The current 4 stalls are too little. I pass by the place few times everyday and is almost never available. I was hoping the ecars new hub at the park might alleviate the queues but that is also almost 2 months installed and waiting for the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

I wouldn't have thought Cavan could be described as being in the North West? Hopefully it's Donegal, which is a bit of a wasteland when it comes to charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭talla

Would love it to be Donegal as I'm based there but don't think there is the through traffic.

"If" a site is going in Derry, there is no way a site would go in Donegal, unless we're talking about the Kerry style super charger site which is no better than a basic e-cars site.

THe only other logical place is Sligo area but with an Ionity site planned for there, again may not be the through traffic.

"South Donegal" is actually ok for charging at this stage with sites that actually allow charging of more than one car in Laghy, Donegal Town and Letterkenny.

Its the North of the county thats the problem but again I can't see it financially viable for an Ionity hub or Tesla Super Chargers apart for the months of July & August.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

A 2021 MX? What unicorn land did that come from?

A Supercharger site in north-west Cavan would serve a lot of the N3 and give pretty much any Tesla enough range to get to north Donegal and back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Carrick On Shannon would be even more suitable than Sligo would catch a lot more traffic.

L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I expect that Tesla will make decisions on where their Supercharger sites should be located with a lot of factors in mind, where passing traffic each day must be a significant factor? For each of the existing sites in Ireland, they are primarily located:

1) along a busy national primary route

2) close to a center of population

To me the North West likely means the N4 just south of Sligo which captures both the Dublin - Sligo and the Donegal - Sligo - Galway traffic. At over 20,000 vehicles per day, it has similar levels of traffic as Birdhill, Athenry or Enfield.

Advertisement