Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Ryan Tubridy Thread needs renaming to reflect its culture

Options
  • 30-01-2021 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭

I suggest putting (Parody) in the brackets of that thread.
    Or failing that at least some indication even to uninitiated that it is not a serious thread.

As that is the whole vibe of it. Plus the mod agrees that it is a parody thread so there should not be a problem. And a clear indication that it is a parody thread.

It is clearly satirical in nature and that is the enjoyment the regular posters get from it.

The only problem is it puts off those who are not into that from posting. Also those who do not fit the vibe are discourage. Plus the mod does not really encourage other viewpoints on the thread. Plus thanks many satirical aspects and joins in with it.

A new Ryan Tubridy thread should be created where genuine discussion focussing on the show itself rather than a satirical skit on the presenter.

The moderator already half tried and set up an appreciation thread. But seemed determined to close it even in the OP. Also the use of the phrase 'appreciation' appeared to be a p take.

The other way around would be the way to go. Instead of pigeonholing those with any positive contributions as 'appreciators' the current thread should clearly show it is for the satirists.

Simply 'The Ryan Tubridy Thread' would suffice - with a note saying it is for sincere and genuine discussion. And those who are more interested in the parody aspect could be redirected there.

This is why the renaming of the unofficial parody Tubridy thread, is crucial to any new threads success outside of it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

I suggest putting (Parody) in the brackets of that thread.
    Or failing that at least some indication even to uninitiated that it is not a serious thread.

As that is the whole vibe of it. Plus the mod agrees that it is a parody thread so there should not be a problem. And a clear indication that it is a parody thread.

It is clearly satirical in nature and that is the enjoyment the regular posters get from it.

The only problem is it puts off those who are not into that from posting. Also those who do not fit the vibe are discourage. Plus the mod does not really encourage other viewpoints on the thread. Plus thanks many satirical aspects and joins in with it.

A new Ryan Tubridy thread should be created where genuine discussion focussing on the show itself rather than a satirical skit on the presenter.

The moderator already half tried and set up an appreciation thread. But seemed determined to close it even in the OP. Also the use of the phrase 'appreciation' appeared to be a p take.

The other way around would be the way to go. Instead of pigeonholing those with any positive contributions as 'appreciators' the current thread should clearly show it is for the satirists.

Simply 'The Ryan Tubridy Thread' would suffice - with a note saying it is for sincere and genuine discussion. And those who are more interested in the parody aspect could be redirected there.

This is why the renaming of the unofficial parody Tubridy thread, is crucial to any new threads success outside of it.

The Toyman: a wry look at the Ryan Tubridy Show very clearly says what it does on the tin and does not need renaming. To begin with, I would say it is a show that does not actually take itself very seriously. On suggestion via PMs and on previous thread which was filling up towards the limit, I clearly conceded to demand. One thread which stated what it was to any newcomers, and another which very clearly differentiated itself as a thread for those who, for the main part, might enjoy the show. It failed to attract any such serious discussion and ended up getting derailed in spite of my best attempts, at times, to prune it. In fact it would have been almost totally empty had I pruned it more fully.

It may happen that somebody wishes to open up a discussion to focus on the serious topics of the show, which actually are few as the show does not purport to be a serious current affairs one; however there is usually an interview that might be discussed for its merits if people want to do that. It has to be understood that opinions which differ from OP cannot for that reason alone be erased by a moderator. We live in a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The Toyman: a wry look at the Ryan Tubridy Show very clearly says what it does on the tin and does not need renaming. To begin with, I would say it is a show that does not actually take itself very seriously. On suggestion via PMs and on previous thread which was filling up towards the limit, I clearly conceded to demand. One thread which stated what it was to any newcomers, and another which very clearly differentiated itself as a thread for those who, for the main part, might enjoy the show. It failed to attract any such serious discussion and ended up getting derailed in spite of my best attempts, at times, to prune it. In fact it would have been almost totally empty had I pruned it more fully.

It may happen that somebody wishes to open up a discussion to focus on the serious topics of the show, which actually are few as the show does not purport to be a serious current affairs one; however there is usually an interview that might be discussed for its merits if people want to do that. It has to be understood that opinions which differ from OP cannot for that reason alone be erased by a moderator. We live in a democracy.

Now you are really taking the mick the Tubridy Discussion thread is the unofficial parody thread I am referring to (as you well know)

You yourself have referred to that thread a parody thread to me in the past.

As for your attempts to set up a new thread they were half baked, half assed and set up to fail. Which you were only dying to close in your initial OP for a start.

An appreciation thread given the tone of a cohort of boards.ie regarding Tubridy sounds very like a p take.

It should be renamed Official Ryan Tubridy Thread (serious/genuine discussion)

The current Ryan Tubridy Thread should be the second parody thread as it has become one as you have said. Otherwise you should get your act together and clean up the culture of that thread. One or the other. Or if you do not want to do it get someone who will.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Feedback is for site-wide feedback

Forum-specific issues are dealt with in Help Desk

Beasty wrote: »
    Feedback is for site-wide feedback

Forum-specific issues are dealt with in Help Desk

Grand I will link it now I am always struggling to find the help/feedback pages for some reason. Have them both linked now.

The main problem seems to be be those who are interested in the starical aspect have taken over the Ryan Tubridy Discussion thread.

The moderator has let a few posters rule the roost and let that culture develop. With a clique forming excluding any outiside discussion of the show.

Outsiders who posted anything remotely postive or genuine are met with:

1) Is that you Ryan?

2) Are you being serious?

3) I can't tell if you are trolling?

Such posts should have been snipped, it would stop it fairly quick and make the thread more welcoming.

Any satirical style posts should have been directed to the 'toyman' wry look thread they clearly were not.

Personal attacks on the presenter should have been snipped they are not on my occasion. Plenty of drug use references. And innuendo on the presenters character.

Constant comment and imitation of the presenters speech patterns, with one poster in particular emphasising THAT all the time.

Constant gripes about salary and nepotism in RTE, are there not lots of other threads for this?

Constant list of 'freebie lists' should be have been directed to the 'parody wry man' thread.

All of these problems were let grow either by accident or design by the moderator and these issues were not nipped in the bud, as far as I can see.

Now I don't expect the thread to be an appreciation society for Ryan Tubridy. Just have a discussion about the show. As it says in the thread title not a method just for people who have a personal dislike for the presenter to constantly attack him.

Normal discussion of a radio show would be I like that part of the show because.
    Or I don't like that part of the show because.

Instead we get human interest stories being referred to as 'misery slots' without elaboration.

It has let to the current situation. If the moderator cannot see the issues, or does not wish to change them and sort them out. There is no point in continuing with the questioning the issue.

Currently it seems to be just moderation when he/she feels inginate. A good moderator has the ability to stand back and look at the posts in a fair and balanced manner. Regardless of their own personal viewpoints. In the way the some superb moderators on this site operate on other threads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement