Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card fraudsters using Covid lockdown to go nuts

Options
  • 30-01-2021 7:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

As far as I'm concerned, scam artists need to get trapped in Buffalo Bills pit for life.

I guess it's the psychological vulnerability we're all in as a product of lockdown, some go-getters clearly figured they could use it to their advantage.

This is the second time this week some shysters using a Lyca mobile number have tried to phish me (phishing for the uninitiated, is using the presentation of a legitimate site with slight variation in the web address, to dupe you into giving up personal details such as bank info).

First it was a very credible bank phishing website, and just now iapple pay website asking for more details.

What's the deal with these people?

Are they really that hard up for cash?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

As far as I'm concerned, scam artists need to get trapped in Buffalo Bills pit for life.

I guess it's the psychological vulnerability we're all in as a product of lockdown, some go-getters clearly figured they could use it to their advantage.

This is the second time this week some shysters using a Lyca mobile number have tried to phish me (phishing for the uninitiated, is using the presentation of a legitimate site with slight variation in the web address, to dupe you into giving up personal details such as bank info).

First it was a very credible bank phishing website, and just now iapple pay website asking for more details.

In reality they are companies and not just lone people. They are well run and make lots of money.
    The reason they are phishing so much is because of the success they have got from Ireland. Google and you will find lots of information and that is just what they release from the Banks point of view.

I remember a few years back they carried out a targeted DDoS across Ireland, knocking out loads of website including boards, it was after that you found lots of website in Ireland including boards invested in DDoS protection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

free money for them

all it takes is time and an idiot with a bank account .

id fill the pit with water too

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They are getting more and more sophisticated.
    The only protection is to become more paranoid about your security.
    Don't trust anyone, and even then it can still happen.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    free money for them

all it takes is time and an idiot with a bank account .

id fill the pit with water too

Far from an idiot. As mentioned they are getting more and more sophisticated and they invest in the best of technology. This is not some lad sending an email about shipping gold from Nigeria.

https://www.thejournal.ie/meath-email-scam-3148419-Dec2016/
    This included them hacking emails and calendars so when they contacted people they could say XYZ was in a meeting with ABC etc. So if the staff checked they would have the right information.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you are interested in computer security, look up a book called The Cuckoo's Egg. It's a great read and written in a first person perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Not only that, the sneaky bottom feeders, they know telephone and internet banking support is only online 9 to 5 Mon through Fri, so they're sending their messages at like 5:15 pm, just when support is unavailable.

I went to school with this scam artist. He used to hustle petty drugs other contraband.

When we graduated he was soon thereafter caught for scamming a bunch of first time renters.

I saw him in the street over a decade later with that same slick-wannabe "thing" going on.

I wanted to beat him mercilessly with a rubber pipe.

I despise scam artists.

Not only that, the sneaky bottom feeders, they know telephone and internet banking support is only online 9 to 5 Mon through Fri, so they're sending their messages at like 5:15 pm, just when support is unavailable.

I went to school with this scam artist. He used to hustle petty drugs other contraband.

When we graduated he was soon thereafter caught for scamming a bunch of first time renters.

I saw him in the street over a decade later with that same slick-wannabe "thing" going on.

I wanted to beat him mercilessly with a rubber pipe.

I despise scam artists.

All Bank as far as I am aware has a emergency line which is open 24 x 7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

lol - just got another one.

SZd1srt.jpg?1

This is the third in 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It's like when you sign up to some charity, and they share your name with all the other charities...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

lol - just got another one.

SZd1srt.jpg?1

This is the third in 3 days.

Anything legit is going to have .AIB.ie at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

It's like when you sign up to some charity, and they share your name with all the other charities...

The trick is to create an email account when signing up ... I like to give out an email address like spam@myemail.com or junkmail@myemail.com if anyone requests an email when I'm signing up to use a service, they usually don't bother sending me spam/junk and probably think the email address is fake .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

Look up Jim Browning's youtube channel if you want to see how they work. He leads them on so he can reverse connect into their computers when they connect to his and then records them scamming others. When he can, he contacts the victim or their bank to let them know what is going on.

This article from the New York Times is an interesting read.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/01/27/magazine/scam-call-centers.amp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

db wrote: »
    Look up Jim Browning's youtube channel if you want to see how they work. He leads them on so he can reverse connect into their computers when they connect to his and then records them scamming others. When he can, he contacts the victim or their bank to let them know what is going on.

This article from the New York Times is an interesting read.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/01/27/magazine/scam-call-centers.amp.html

Article is paywalled, but that fella teamed up with a BBC investigations unit to take down an Indian scammer call centre about a year ago.

Is he from Northern Ireland btw? Has a tinge of the Nordie accent. Like someone who emigrated years ago and has almost lost it to neutral, but not quite.

Some of the scams are shocking when you see what he is uncovering. He listens in on them scamming doddery old people. It's fairly sickening.

I was once able to keep a scammer on the line for over an hour by pretending to be a very slow old person myself who kept needing to put down the phone to go and get a different computer etc. Yes, it wasted some of my time but it was an extra hour that that fucker couldn't be trying to scam someone else

Advertisement