Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to sell an investment property abroad?

Options
  • 30-01-2021 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to do some research for a relative who purchased an investment property abroad during the boom times and is now looking to sell. How exactly would they go about this? Is it as straight forward as approaching a local estate agent in the country and getting them to put it on the market?

I'm sure there's a guide out there, including all the relative financial and tax implications, and would much appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

VonLuck wrote: »
    I'm trying to do some research for a relative who purchased an investment property abroad during the boom times and is now looking to sell. How exactly would they go about this? Is it as straight forward as approaching a local estate agent in the country and getting them to put it on the market?

I'm sure there's a guide out there, including all the relative financial and tax implications, and would much appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

What country/ region?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Sixtoes wrote: »
    What country/ region?

France. I'm guessing the approach is different depending on the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

If its a lease back property in France, you could face a struggle to sell. If its a regular property, it should be fine through a local agent.

DubCount wrote: »
    If its a lease back property in France, you could face a struggle to sell. If its a regular property, it should be fine through a local agent.

Yes, it is a lease back. What are the main issues around selling that kind of property?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

VonLuck wrote: »
    Yes, it is a lease back. What are the main issues around selling that kind of property?

Firstly, there was a saving of VAT when the property was purchased. If you sell within a certain period (20 years I think) there is a claw back of that VAT saving.

Several leaseback property developments ran into problems with the management company running into problems.

The big issue is whoever buys the property, has to take on the lease. This makes the second hand market very restricted. If you google French leaseback resale you'll find lots of discussion on the topic.

Let me put it this way, I haven't come across anyone who has managed to sell a French Leaseback property. Maybe some other posters on here have.....

• Advertisement

DubCount wrote: »
    Firstly, there was a saving of VAT when the property was purchased. If you sell within a certain period (20 years I think) there is a claw back of that VAT saving.

Several leaseback property developments ran into problems with the management company running into problems.

The big issue is whoever buys the property, has to take on the lease. This makes the second hand market very restricted. If you google French leaseback resale you'll find lots of discussion on the topic.

Let me put it this way, I haven't come across anyone who has managed to sell a French Leaseback property. Maybe some other posters on here have.....

I guess that's understandable. Certainly not as attractive an investment for most. I don't believe the person in question has any particular urgency to sell so if it has to be on the market a while I don't think it'd be an issue.

That information is good to know though. Will definitely help me in my research.

Advertisement