Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband help!

• 30-01-2021 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

We are out in the country, only old lines in our area, so broadband is very slow through the wires. 5 mbps is what our line can carry. We've had dsl Vodafone, download 3.6 upload 0.3. A friend gave me a loan of a Vodafone mobile 4g unit and its so much quicker. My problem is its capped at 300gb per mth. I've no idea what we use as the one we've had is unlimited and they tell me they can't give me my usage!
    Our other option is digiweb satellite, they say speed is quite good but ping is 60-70 so not recommended for online gaming.
    Can anyone advise me is that really bad ping for online gaming? Would it definitely not be able to be played, its only fifa and Minecraft....
    And how can I find out or can I find out if I go over 300gb as it is.... Any advice really appreciated as I'm a bit clueless with all this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭oleard1987

michdee wrote: »
    We are out in the country, only old lines in our area, so broadband is very slow through the wires. 5 mbps is what our line can carry. We've had dsl Vodafone, download 3.6 upload 0.3. A friend gave me a loan of a Vodafone mobile 4g unit and its so much quicker. My problem is its capped at 300gb per mth. I've no idea what we use as the one we've had is unlimited and they tell me they can't give me my usage!
    Our other option is digiweb satellite, they say speed is quite good but ping is 60-70 so not recommended for online gaming.
    Can anyone advise me is that really bad ping for online gaming? Would it definitely not be able to be played, its only fifa and Minecraft....
    And how can I find out or can I find out if I go over 300gb as it is.... Any advice really appreciated as I'm a bit clueless with all this.

I also have the Vodafone 4g .We use it on the PS5,PS4 and Switch and we sometimes work from home and I think we have only gone over the usage maybe once in 12 months
    Once your not downloading games you will be fine
    I think an hour of forrnite uses 100mb-200mb

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Delighted to read this, thanks so much for the reply. Really our son has only started online gaming and we buy discs, don't download. I was worried about going over. We'd use our now TV sticks for u tube and Netflix but I don't think they use alot.... Hearing that gives me courage to chance that, thanks so much. I can't get over how good it actually is

Delighted to read this, thanks so much for the reply. Really our son has only started online gaming and we buy discs, don't download. I was worried about going over. We'd use our now TV sticks for u tube and Netflix but I don't think they use alot.... Hearing that gives me courage to chance that, thanks so much. I can't get over how good it actually is

I wish I could say the same ,speeds have been terrible for the last two weeks .Only get 1mb-3mb to where as I would have been getting 15 recently

Just to add there is an app from Vodafone that you can monitor what gb is left and if you need to buy add on of 100gb for 10 euro but you can only do it once a month

oleard1987 wrote: »
    I wish I could say the same ,speeds have been terrible for the last two weeks .Only get 1mb-3mb to where as I would have been getting 15 recently

Just to add there is an app from Vodafone that you can monitor what gb is left and if you need to buy add on of 100gb for 10 euro but you can only do it once a month

Do you find 300gb is enough? Or is it just normal everyday use you'd use it for too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Was it a 4g router he gave you where you put the sim into?
    You can log in to the router to see how much you have used.
    Would a normal Vodafone sim work as it unlimited but capped at 10mb

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    Was it a 4g router he gave you where you put the sim into?
    You can log in to the router to see how much you have used.
    Would a normal Vodafone sim work as it unlimited but capped at 10mb

Yes you put the sim into the bottom of the router. I actually don't know if a normal sim would work in it, I never thought of that.

Do you find 300gb is enough? Or is it just normal everyday use you'd use it for too?

We actually got two of them one is for the kids for the games consoles, once there 300gb is gone then they have to wait
    The other is for us working at home ,netflix and our phones as we have poor reception in the house

We have only got the add on once and that was when the kids downloaded games as they can be 30gb-60gb per game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

oleard1987 wrote: »
    We actually got two of them one is for the kids for the games consoles, once there 300gb is gone then they have to wait
    The other is for us working at home ,netflix and our phones as we have poor reception in the house

We have only got the add on once and that was when the kids downloaded games as they can be 30gb-60gb per game
    I have the same set up one router with 3 network sim the other router with a go mo sim.3 network is for xbox and wired to one of the smart tvs for Netflix YouTube ect other is for sky multi room as Netflix youtube in the kitchen.
    Thers 120gb a month on the go mo sim and the 3 is unlimited for the xbox downloads games ect

I use home plugs for the wired connection it's a lot better than the wifi for the xbox more stable connection

Thanks for the replies. Two must end up expensive. Going to order, will see for 10 days the usage and work it out for the mth then I think.
    So hard when broadband is so hard to get in the country..... Especially now with all working from home.

Advertisement