Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you catch it?

Options

Comments

30. Jaysus. It must be infuriating reading and seeing stories about every wanker and his dog jetting off on holidays or having house parties.

Slightly frustrating seen as I'm an IT worker who rarely left this house this year 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

_Brian wrote: »
    People working from home still have to work too, your statement makes no sense.

That's being a bit petty when it's clear that he means a great many people still have to travel to work, and in an environment shared with other colleagues and possibly members of the public in many cases.

I caught it in my workplace from a colleague who had it. If I was working from home, I wouldn't have gotten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Caledonia

What kind of work place are you in ?

We are in one to two days a week only, and v well spaced out.
    Huge numbers have had to selfisolate but no workplace outbreaks so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Almost all the stories that popped in up in the media about an under 50 with no pre-existing condition who ended up in ICU from covid seem to be male...
    I haven't seen a split by gender for ICU admissions for under 65s.

I hadn't noticed that bit at all. But thinking about it now, I don't think I've heard much stories from young women under 50 in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Folks, the idea of this thread was how did you catch it? Not, how could you catch it or why do you think someone got? We are been told 2 metres, clean you hands and social distance - just wondering how then are people actually catching it. The numbers are so high - I am starting to wonder do we need to change the guidelines?

Reason, I am asking is I have always been taking a few extra precautions and I would like to know how people are actually catching this thing. I am at the point now where I am staying in so much I am getting other issues because I am afraid to go out. When I go out for exercise and see someone I know I am basically rude to them and pretty much leg it after 15 seconds not 15 minutes. I avoid shops but when I have to go I try to do it in under 90 seconds. I've been like this since end of March.

So back to the OP - if you caught it how did you catch it?

• Advertisement

Folks, the idea of this thread was how did you catch it? Not, how could you catch it or why do you think someone got? We are been told 2 metres, clean you hands and social distance - just wondering how then are people actually catching it. The numbers are so high - I am starting to wonder do we need to change the guidelines?

Reason, I am asking is I have always been taking a few extra precautions and I would like to know how people are actually catching this thing. I am at the point now where I am staying in so much I am getting other issues because I am afraid to go out. When I go out for exercise and see someone I know I am basically rude to them and pretty much leg it after 15 seconds not 15 minutes. I avoid shops but when I have to go I try to do it in under 90 seconds. I've been like this since end of March.

So back to the OP - if you caught it how did you catch it?

I wound be of same precautionary mode as yourself as I believe the original guidelines are of little meaning now with the variants. However it's very difficult for anybody to be specific about how they caught it. When I became ill with Covid-like virus unknown last March, (travel first aid kit oximeter showed SPO2 82% and lower for several days so would have been hospitalised if not in African wilderness when I was that sick) I do very distinctly recall the spittle of somebody coughing landing on my face. That person was in very bad form and unable to eat much, and like myself, couldn't taste food well.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

4 of my family including my 4 month old baby got tested positive 3 weeks ago all of which got mild symptoms thank god. but I was the only one who did not get positive, no symptoms what so ever, i get tested weekly at work like, we breathe same air and baby would kiss and sneeze infront of me face. How on earth I'm still negative?

FrankC21 wrote: »
    4 of my family including my 4 month old baby got tested positive 3 weeks ago all of which got mild symptoms thank god. but I was the only one who did not get positive, no symptoms what so ever, i get tested weekly at work like, we breathe same air and baby would kiss and sneeze infront of me face. How on earth I was still negative?

Could be similar to a cold. I know with myself, some colds and I'm dying with it and with other colds I wouldn't be affected. Other than that I have no answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

FrankC21 wrote: »
    4 of my family including my 4 month old baby got tested positive 3 weeks ago all of which got mild symptoms thank god. but I was the only one who did not get positive, no symptoms what so ever, i get tested weekly at work like, we breathe same air and baby would kiss and sneeze infront of me face. How on earth I was still negative?

It's such a strange bástard of a thing

They will be doing studies on the Asymptomatic side of this for years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

pottokblue wrote: »
    How have I not caught it yet??? I'm a frontline worker in an on/off covid enivroment and shielding a vunerable family member at home. I work with people afflicted by covid with aerosolgenerating proceedures, I take publictransport and see family and friends indoors, pubs, restaurants, cinema depending on current restrictions. Colleagues, friends and family have all got it so I have been routinely screened negative. I think maybe the reason I havent got it yet is an ok bodyweight and good immune system supported by codliveroil, vitamins B,C,D, Magnsium, Whisky and Zinc. My covid anxieties lie not in catching it myself but in transmitting it to a vulnerable family, friend, patient or stranger. My anxieties are somewhat eased after recieving 2nd jab last week no extreme sideeffect expect exhaustion! If/when I catch I'll spend the 10days selfisolating. There should be less stigmatising in catching/transmitting the virus due to its unpredictable nature....
    You may have caught it and recovered without knowing early on before regular testing became available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Warbeastrior

pottokblue wrote:
    How have I not caught it yet??? I'm a frontline worker in an on/off covid enivroment and shielding a vunerable family member at home. I work with people afflicted by covid with aerosolgenerating proceedures, I take publictransport and see family and friends indoors, pubs, restaurants, cinema depending on current restrictions. Colleagues, friends and family have all got it so I have been routinely screened negative. I think maybe the reason I havent got it yet is an ok bodyweight and good immune system supported by codliveroil, vitamins B,C,D, Magnsium, Whisky and Zinc. My covid anxieties lie not in catching it myself but in transmitting it to a vulnerable family, friend, patient or stranger. My anxieties are somewhat eased after recieving 2nd jab last week no extreme sideeffect expect exhaustion! If/when I catch I'll spend the 10days selfisolating. There should be less stigmatising in catching/transmitting the virus due to its unpredictable nature....

Thank you for your hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Warbeastrior

One caught it from her kid via school.

"bUt ScHoolS aRe SaFe"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

pottokblue wrote: »

My work involves being in other peoples houses all day long and by some miracle i have never caught it. These days i wear a mask along with a face shield and gloves. Possibly could be helping.

Woke up shaky and breathless on Tuesday, tested Negative Wednesday, put on antibiotics, up & down a bit since then but temperature rising now with some burning chest sensation, and the oxygen is dropping at times now down to 90%. GP had urged me to seek X-ray if this happened as it could be false negative or unresponsive/delayed response bacterial infection. Don't really want to be presenting myself for an X-ray in a Covid-filled hospital if I don't have it, but very slightly concerned it's a false negative. Made every precaution not to get it and met nobody I know per se since December and that was out on Clontarf seafront exchanging presents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Davauer

Every one in work caught it not wearing mask or not wearing it at all time or below nose or around neck
    Also some used home
    Made mask I use medical mask I have worked around these people while they were positive as they did not tell anybody they denied symptoms yet they were coughing. Don't be around people that don't use a mask or wear it under nose or masks that have air outlets. If some one in your house has it isolate them 10-20 days use spray bleach in bathroom use paper plates for food when washing their clothes use mask and face shield and plastic body suit if your old wear mask and face shield going out. Carry hand sanitizer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Davauer

Woke up shaky and breathless on Tuesday, tested Negative Wednesday, put on antibiotics, up & down a bit since then but temperature rising now with some burning chest sensation, and the oxygen is dropping at times now down to 90%. GL had urged me to seek X-ray if this happened as it could be false negative or unresponsive/delayed response bacterial infection. Don't really want to be presenting myself for an X-ray in a Covid-filled hospital if I don't have it, but very slightly concerned it's a false negative. Made every precaution not to get it and met nobody I know per se since December and that was out on Clontarf seafront exchanging presents.
    If you feel it's hard to breath go to the hospital right away under 92 is bad

If your oxegen goes to 88 it's a bad sign go to hospital

Davauer wrote: »
    If you feel it's hard to breath go to the hospital right away under 92 is bad

If your oxegen goes to 88 it's a bad sign go to hospital

Oh I know, have been hospitalised with bacterial pneumonia with oxygen 88% and below before. I'm ok as long as I don't move about too much, but in fact some activity actually Increases my oxygen back up to normal levels :)

I think I'm most likely gonna weather this out pretty fanned well. Back in March the first aid kit liked oximeter I carried showed SPO2 of 83% find to 72% at times, felt fighgniut of my body as if somebody had injected a general anaesthetic or something, unable to think. I was fasoing so badly everyone kept saying "suffering from a bad panic attack".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

mate waiting on results but she thinks she has it..

if so, probably on the bus (gets a bus to and from work every day)..
    lots of people not wearing masks correctly - sitting in seats where they shouldn't ect..

not many people where she works and they are all v much spread out - has lunch on her own so doesn't think it was there

sporina wrote: »
    mate waiting on results but she thinks she has it..

if so, probably on the bus (gets a bus to and from work every day)..
    lots of people not wearing masks correctly - sitting in seats where they shouldn't ect..

not many people where she works and they are all v much spread out - has lunch on her own so doesn't think it was there

I don't think it matters if you're spaced out with this virus. It's airborne. If she's working with people, there's always a chance she caught it there. Could also be on the bus as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

It's airborne

Have CDC/WHO officially confirmed this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭dubrov

Davauer wrote: »
    Every one in work caught it not wearing mask or not wearing it at all time or below nose or around neck
    Also some used home
    Made mask I use medical mask I have worked around these people while they were positive as they did not tell anybody they denied symptoms yet they were coughing. Don't be around people that don't use a mask or wear it under nose or masks that have air outlets. If some one in your house has it isolate them 10-20 days use spray bleach in bathroom use paper plates for food when washing their clothes use mask and face shield and plastic body suit if your old wear mask and face shield going out. Carry hand sanitizer

I think you are over-emphasising the benefit of masks. Wearing a mask is beneficial in most situations but we are only talking slight differences. It does not prevent you from catching Covid.

However, you could argue that those not wearing a mask (or wearing it properly) are more likely to be lax about Covid in other aspects of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭homenotaway

ShineOn7 wrote: »

The virus spreads mainly through the air when people are near each other. It leaves an infected person as they breathe, cough, sneeze, or speak and enters another person via their mouth, nose, or eyes. It might also spread via contaminated surfaces.

COVID-19 pandemichttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › COVID-19_pandemic

ShineOn7 wrote: »

The virus spreads mainly through the air when people are near each other. It leaves an infected person as they breathe, cough, sneeze, or speak and enters another person via their mouth, nose, or eyes. It might also spread via contaminated surfaces.

COVID-19 pandemichttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › COVID-19_pandemic

from my goggling its just droplet

from my goggling its just droplet

You would expect droplets to fall to the ground, so can't infect others that's sitting nowhere near you.

Infected Chinese on a bus infected others and they weren't sitting beside each other
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-chinese-bus-evidence-airborne-coronavirus.amp

So it's airborne.

I notice that my oxygen falls ordinarily to down to 90-93% but that I can raise it right up to 99% by singing out my version of Jerusalema, lol!

In other words when I attempt to expand my lungs properly.
    I advise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,244 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was only going to the supermarket and chemist and not mixing with anyone outside my family bubble unit

You would expect droplets to fall to the ground, so can't infect others that's sitting nowhere near you.

Infected Chinese on a bus infected others and they weren't sitting beside each other
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-chinese-bus-evidence-airborne-coronavirus.amp

So it's airborne.

yeah did some reading on the WHO website - seems it can be aerosol/airborne (in specific settings)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2774102

Might be of interest to some here. The first few posts on this thread came to mind when I read it.

yeah did some reading on the WHO website - seems it can be aerosol/airborne (in specific settings)

I hate this specific settings talk

It's being indoors and not ventilated. Like we saw at Christmas time. It's cold, so windows shut. People heading out to restaurants and bars, unmasked and not a window open. Sending them home for Christmas day and again not a window open.

Very little is being done on ventilation and opening windows here. God, the battle I have where I am, house sharing with people mixing in work, another who goes out to his girlfriends, I get up in the mornings and open windows and they're closed again 5 minutes later because it's cold. Considering we're contagious before showing symptoms, opening windows when someone has symptoms is too late. God forbid a bit of fresh air and not end up on a ventilator.

Edit: came back to write about s guy in China that I read about last April. He was in an empty hotel function room and still got infected. They later found out that there was someone who tested positive a few hours earlier in that room.

That was last April but good ol' Ireland still going with the social distancing shyte. It's masks and ventilation, that's what's important.

• Advertisement

I hate this specific settings talk

It's being indoors and not ventilated. Like we saw at Christmas time. It's cold, so windows shut. People heading out to restaurants and bars, unmasked and not a window open. Sending them home for Christmas day and again not a window open.

Very little is being done on ventilation and opening windows here. God, the battle I have where I am, house sharing with people mixing in work, another who goes out to his girlfriends, I get up in the mornings and open windows and they're closed again 5 minutes later because it's cold. Considering we're contagious before showing symptoms, opening windows when someone has symptoms is too late. God forbid a bit of fresh air and not end up on a ventilator.

Edit: came back to write about s guy in China that I read about last April. He was in an empty hotel function room and still got infected. They later found out that there was someone who tested positive a few hours earlier in that room.

That was last April but good ol' Ireland still going with the social distancing shyte. It's masks and ventilation, that's what's important.

I only popped onto this thread cos I thought my mate might have the virus - thankfully she doesn't .. not really interested in discussing the matter any further.. no offence

Advertisement