Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of one off solicitor visit

• 30-01-2021 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi just looking for an approximate price for a visit to a solicitor to get our agreement down on paper and signed by us both.
    We co own a house together but have gone our separate ways a few years now. I live in the house and pay 100% of everything my ex would like to get his name removed from mortgage and I totally agree. We have enquired and the mortgage broker has informed us that leaving everything as it stands for now in 2 years I would qualify for the banks to allow this to happen. I just need to bring the amount owed in mortgage down to 3.5 times my yearly salary.
    We literally agree on everything and have no issues or bad blood between us at all but we would like to see it down on paper that I agree to this and also for my piece of mind that the money I invest in the home in the meantime ie. stove, improvement to insulation and new front door etc. is for my benefit.
    My ex wants a legal statement as such signed by us both that I agree to take it over as soon as its possible and I want a guarantee that my invested money in my home isn't wasted by either of us changing our minds or situation etc.
    We just want to visit a solicitor and get this all down on paper and signed. Any idea of costs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Are ye married? Do ye have Children?
    You could be liable for a tax bill if the other home owner is gifting you their share.
    I could be wrong as I am not sure on Co-habiting couples but you might want to check that out or get advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Thanks for taking the time to reply. No we were never married and have no children, he's a step dad to his current partners child.
    The house is in negative equity right now. If it went for sale it wouldn't reach the price to clear the mortgage.
    We spoke to a financial advisor that advised it would be possible for me to take on the mortgage in 2 yrs. We have no disagreement with each other. Both on the same page its just a waiting game for my income to be sufficient to meet the requirements for this and I'm in a permanent position for almost 20 years with no other debts so hopefully it will be straightforward then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PapaBill

bertsmom wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. No we were never married and have no children, he's a step dad to his current partners child.
    The house is in negative equity right now. If it went for sale it wouldn't reach the price to clear the mortgage.
    We spoke to a financial advisor that advised it would be possible for me to take on the mortgage in 2 yrs. We have no disagreement with each other. Both on the same page its just a waiting game for my income to be sufficient to meet the requirements for this and I'm in a permanent position for almost 20 years with no other debts so hopefully it will be straightforward then.

You might try the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Advertisement