Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in Creche

Options
  • 30-01-2021 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

My daughter will be starting in creche in early March when she turns 1. Naturally, I'm dreading it! I think I'd be anxious about it in the best of times but due to Covid, she's barely been apart from myself and her Dad, bar a couple of hours here and there with my parents.

Has anybody any tips for preparing for this? She doesn't have any attachment to any comforter or teddy unfortunately - trying to encourage one but no interest so far!

I'm back to work right when she starts but will be working from home so hoping to be flexible enough as regards letting her settle in at her own pace etc. Would live to hear from anyone who's babies have started during the pandemic too if possible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

My godchild (not my own, but I get detailed updates ;-) ) started last year. Threw some blue murder tantrums at the start at being away from Mammy (in particular). The decreased visitors, babysitters and play with others for months as a result of Covid seemed to encourage clinginess. It took a few weeks to settle, but he came to love it. They did some half days/part time at the start to help, and it took time, and my friend felt bad knowing he was upset, but they got there.

Despite Covid your kid will get colds, as she will encounter unfamiliar germs, and will bring them home to you, and will take you down with them. :-D And because of Covid, colds will turn into isolating/restricted movements, because of a simple cough, until a test is done (happened twice in three months). No Covid, but have to be sure, so don't panic.

Covid itself was lower on the worry list as both parents work out of the home (essential) so have their own risk anyway.

I'm sure there are better stories /advice out there from parents, but these are two things to be prepared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Thanks so much for your response, that's really helpful. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for her to be fairly clingy and upset at the start so it's great to know that your godchild did settle in the end!

I figured as much about the illnesses, she's only ever had one mild cold so can only imagine she'll pick up everything going. Hoping to be working from home for the foreseeable future so hopefully that'll make it a bit easier to manage the absences.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

My third child started last April at 10 months. He goes 2 days a week. He settled ok, but due to my hours I don’t do many pick ups and drop offs. He is fine now when his dad or grandad drop him in but still gives out a bit on the odd days I drop him in. His 3 year old brother is also there which helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Clashmore wrote: »
    My third child started last April at 10 months. He goes 2 days a week. He settled ok, but due to my hours I don’t do many pick ups and drop offs. He is fine now when his dad or grandad drop him in but still gives out a bit on the odd days I drop him in. His 3 year old brother is also there which helps.

Oh that's interesting actually, I wonder if I'm better getting my husband or parents to do the drop offs, I had assumed she'd be better with me doing them but maybe not! Definitely something to consider.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have 3, all started with a minder at about 10/11months.
    My only bit of advice - and it will sound a bit heartless -is when you are leaving, put a big smile on your face, say good bye and wave. Don't sneak out if you can avoid it, and try not to convey your own anxiety/upset because kids pick up on it straight away. Just big smile, big goodbye, love you and I will see you later.
    You will probably go and cry in your car - totally normal. It is really, really hard but she will be ok. And she will be delighted to see you at the end of the day.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

My child started in October at nearly 1. Exact same as your little one, no one had ever put her to be bed bar myself and my husband.

It went fine but do try to be flexible for the first few weeks to as they settle in. The crèche eased her in over 2 weeks. Week 1 we just did an hour a day for play. Week 2 we increased it daily

The first week was fine she was having too much fun to realise we were gone. 2nd week there were some tears as the week went on and she realised we left her but he staff were able to settle her and she generally only cried when she saw us in the evening and again realised we had been gone.

By week 3 she was absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

My little boy started last January when he was 10 months old. And then was out after 8 weeks until creches went back. Starting back was like starting all over again. Definitely do the big smiles at drop off. Wave bye-bye and let her know that you'll be back later. There will be tears & tantrums - we still have them now at times. Does the creche have an online app etc that you can log into to view how the day is going? I found that really helpful as I can see that he's eating etc. Oh & my little boy didn't have a comforter (other than a soother) when he started & now they're not allowing any in anyway so it's actually been a little bit of a bonus for us.

Advertisement