Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Results not up yet - did McCann run under 3.40? Would be a PB for him. He ran very well, phone kept freezing so I couldnt see the 'incident' very well.

An aside - I had a look at the womens 3000m results and noted that the runner just in front of Finn set a NR for Denmark, of 9.00.80.

For me a demonstrator of the depth of athletics in Ireland = we'd have a heap of women faster than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Results not up yet - did McCann run under 3.40? Would be a PB for him. He ran very well, phone kept freezing so I couldnt see the 'incident' very well.

An aside - I had a look at the womens 3000m results and noted that the runner just in front of Finn set a NR for Denmark, of 9.00.80.

For me a demonstrator of the depth of athletics in Ireland = we'd have a heap of women faster than that.

3:41 and change.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Gave his all though seemed to impede the progress of Fris (CZ) who eventually finished 3rd but just missed qualifier. I imagine Fris may get promoted to final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Watching the mens 400m heats and how aggressive you need to be, I've a whole new appreciation for David Gillick's double Gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

I thought the Men’s 400 heats were very tough. 9 heats, first 2 in each, no fastest losers, 18 to semis and then first two in each semi to the final. No holding back in these races. Whoever gets the gold will have really earned.

I was impressed with James Williams from Team GB. First vest at 29 years of age and after a quick word with the BBC was off to give a Maths class to his Year 12’s via zoom�� Can’t believe he couldn’t get a few days leave from the job.

Great to see Robinson and Corcoran make the 1,500 final last night, both ran well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

No fooking around from healy, great stuff.

Well done Phil Healy, 52 flat, just of her PB. Very impressive, looked strong in the home straight. Steve and Andrew on the Beeb very impressed and passed comment on the strong Irish team.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yeah she looked very impressive there. 52 flat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Faugheen wrote: »
    Yeah she looked very impressive there. 52 flat as well.

She did look fantastic. I just hope she hasn’t taken too much out of herself for the semi final tonight. She may need to run a PB to be in the mix for the final.

Hamachi wrote: »
    She did look fantastic. I just hope she hasn’t taken too much out of herself for the semi final tonight. She may need to run a PB to be in the mix for the final.

Lane draw plays such a big part in indoor 400. She had to run it hard to give herself the best chance this evening. Nature of the event sadly.

• Advertisement

Have a good feeling regarding Siofra, think we're going to see all that promise!

That was a very poor run by Siofra. She can't seem to translate her US form into major championships.

Wottle wrote: »
    Have a good feeling regarding Siofra, think we're going to see all that promise!

So disappointed for her, looked in trouble from a long way out.

Thats a big fail. she should have been well able to get through that, left it too late, she should have been dictating the pace and not waiting for a 400m race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Wottle wrote: »
    So disappointed for her, looked in trouble from a long way out.

Pity, she did get boxed in and in a tangle a bit

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Chivito550 wrote: »
    That was a very poor run by Siofra. She can't seem to translate her US form into major championships.

It’s awful to watch. I feel really bad for her because it can’t be good for her confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RunOnTheLeft

Not surprised with Siofra not qualifying, she will learn from that run.

Faugheen wrote: »
    It’s awful to watch. I feel really bad for her because it can’t be good for her confidence.

She has the ability. No question.

Her championship performances for Ireland have been poor. Even the European U23s where she was fancied for a medal and ended up losing to Alana Lally, who's not in the same stratosphere as Siofra.

She'll get there I'm sure. She needs one solid championship where she makes it out of the heats to build the confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RunOnTheLeft

Nadia P will show her how it's done!

Nadia P will show her how it's done!

That's how you run a heat. Brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement

Q for power, onto the semi's

Only 1 of the 3 qualifying is a pretty disappointing result given their rankings going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

4 women getting big Qs with a 2:06. Unusual qualifying system but the two Irish vests were outfoxed in those heats.

Disappointing for the Irish ladies. I was expecting all 3 to make the semi’s. I didn’t think the qualification of the first 3 was overly difficult. Siofra has been a few champs where she hasn’t delivered, hopefully she gets it right in the future.

I’m not sure I see Power making the final. I thought she looked to be working very hard in her heat. I’ll be glad to be wrong though,

Caprica wrote: »

I’m not sure I see Power making the final. I thought she looked to be working very hard in her heat. I’ll be glad to be wrong though,

Power's form doesn't look great but even so, she looked more uncomfortable than usual but I wonder will there be a lot of relief after that run. She just watched Siofra go out, having probably fully expecting her to go through.
    Thought Hartigan ran well and made all the right moves, good debut and future looks bright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Only 1 of the 3 qualifying is a pretty disappointing result given their rankings going in.

Also the times. 2.04 in 2 of the heats for 2.01 runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

Caprica wrote: »
    Disappointing for the Irish ladies. I was expecting all 3 to make the semi’s. I didn’t think the qualification of the first 3 was overly difficult. Siofra has been a few champs where she hasn’t delivered, hopefully she gets it right in the future.

Power looks to be over raced.

It will be interesting to see how she races tonight. She'll have to go out and lead from the front and hope to hang on.

At least if do you do go out - leave everything on the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hurdles1

Interesting morning of athletics for Irish athletes, Phil Healy probably will never again get a chance like it to medal at a championship after this mornings performance and semi final draw. Her semi is by far the easier of the 3 and theres a bronze medal there for the taking.. Bol will probably win but Swiety will put it up to her after a very comfotable qualifer this morning. The bronze should come to Healy and klaver who didnt impress this morning. Hanging on for the win. Jodie williams coukd be a dark horse also. Only worry for Healy she ran pretty hard this morning 24.03 200m split but the draw has been very kind to her. If she runs to win a bronze she could get it if she takes on Bol and swiety tommorrow especially over the first 200m and tries to win it she wont get anything like previous champs. 800m girls dissapointing.. nadia through but had to work hard . Looked bit tired maybe the weeks of travelling racing covid checks starting to catch up.. Hopefully she can make the final whatever happens shes had some season so far. All to play for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Also the times. 2.04 in 2 of the heats for 2.01 runners.
    In fairness, with no fastest qualifier slots available, the races are always likely to be quite slow. In fact, Síofra and Georgie had the two fastest times of all the non-qualifiers, and were faster than a full half of the runners that did qualify. In hindsight, they'll probably feel they should have went out harder, but that's easy to say after the race is run

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Before the 800s, I had actually been sat at home thinking what a pleasure it was to feel like the Irish team, generally, was competitive at this level! The 1500s last night were very assured and Phil Healy's run was very enjoyable viewing. It's just great to watch a European heat and see the Irish athlete take it on and hold out.

You really got the feeling early on that Siofra's run was a bit messy - she seemed to be focusing on holding off and tussling with Voorrips for no reason. Maybe she was thinking too far ahead. Nadia's tactics were spot on but, like a few others have said, a bit surprised it seemed to take more out of her than I was expecting. I liked some of David Matthews' commentary talking about controlling it from the front (essentially what Jakob did in Luke McCann's heat last night after he had seemed a bit taken by surprise at how Luke took it on) and, for the 800m indoors, at their level, I think you have to take closer order at the front, if you don't want any surprises.

Looking forward to the men's 800m + 15 final tonight!

Advertisement