Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

deisedude wrote: »
    Had a look on the sky box earlier and Diamond League Doha is on BBC2 next Friday at 5pm too

Barr is in the startlist in what looks to be top-class 400H.
    6 men who have run 47 or faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Forge83

jamule wrote: »
    A couple of other decent effords the weekend-

Travers 3.37 in Andjuar
    Ciara Neville 11.52 100m in Andjuar

3 lads under 1,47 in Lisburn
    Harry Purcell 1.46.83
    Cosie 1.46.91
    Roland Surlis 1.46.93

Some race from the 3 men. Hoping Purcell will also run a 400 soon.
    Massive 4/5 sec pb from Surlis, he went out easy and had a lot more in the tank than he thought. I’ve a feeling he might even go faster over the next few races.
    Don’t think I’ve ever seen such a big pb from an Irish athlete over 800m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Ceepo

A couple of other decent effords the weekend-

Travers 3.37 in Andjuar
    Ciara Neville 11.52 100m in Andjuar

3 lads under 1,47 in Lisburn
    Harry Purcell 1.46.83
    Cosie 1.46.91
    Roland Surlis 1.46.93

Travers getting sponsored will certainly be a help to him

https://www.arrotek.com/sligo-medtech-companies-sponsor-irish-olympic-hopeful-john-travers/

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Thats an incredible amount of detail from Elizabeth Egan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hurdles1

Great work by Elizabeth Egan with those charts. Surely Athletics Ireland should be doing something like this keeping athketes , coaches and fans updated on the points etc.
    Regarding the 4x4 mixed relay will selectors bring Rhadidad Adekele into the squad if she doesn't make an individual 200m slot.
    Considering this years form over a range of distances . You'd imagine that she coukd run 52 seconds at the moment and beat sharlene Maudsley and sofie Becker in a race currently.
    Similar with Davicia patterson if she ran a decent 400 in the coming weeks or will yhe selectors keep faith with the current squad that went to poland and got them qualified.
    With Tom Barr highly unlikeky to run in the heats of the relay with his hurdles heat on same day will selectors look at bringing in Harry purcell who showed hes in great shape last week in Belfast with a 1.46 pb over 800m.
    Great 400m performer also surely he'd run 46 sec on current form. Or maybe someone like cathal crosbie step up to the mark in the coming weeks and challenge for a squad place.
    Great incentive and opportunity for athletes to make an olympic team, interesting see what happens with selectors. Here's hoping wechave no controversial selection issues like previously.

hurdles1 wrote: »
    Great work by Elizabeth Egan with those charts. Surely Athletics Ireland should be doing something like this keeping athketes , coaches and fans updated on the points etc.
    Regarding the 4x4 mixed relay will selectors bring Rhadidad Adekele into the squad if she doesn't make an individual 200m slot.
    Considering this years form over a range of distances . You'd imagine that she coukd run 52 seconds at the moment and beat sharlene Maudsley and sofie Becker in a race currently.
    Similar with Davicia patterson if she ran a decent 400 in the coming weeks or will yhe selectors keep faith with the current squad that went to poland and got them qualified.
    With Tom Barr highly unlikeky to run in the heats of the relay with his hurdles heat on same day will selectors look at bringing in Harry purcell who showed hes in great shape last week in Belfast with a 1.46 pb over 800m.
    Great 400m performer also surely he'd run 46 sec on current form. Or maybe someone like cathal crosbie step up to the mark in the coming weeks and challenge for a squad place.
    Great incentive and opportunity for athletes to make an olympic team, interesting see what happens with selectors. Here's hoping wechave no controversial selection issues like previously.

I think the call on Rhasidat will be very tough. She almost certainly will be very heavily raced in the US by the Olympics and not in her top form. However I’d imagine the squad can carry more than 3 men and 3 women so she should be taken for the experience regardless as there is no doubt she is a future star for us. Does anyone know what the max number is?
    I have in my head that it’s 3 men and 3 women plus any individually qualified athletes.... could be wrong here.

On the men’s side I think guys like Purcell and English will have to run an actual 400 to be considered. O Donnell is the only cert.
    Robert McDonnell beat Andrew Melon running from Lane 8 in Lisburn last weekend. He is the dark horse for a spot. Then you have Cathal Crosbie as you said, Brian Gregan and a few others who might raise their game such as Cillian Greene.
    I think Marcus Lawlor and Mark Smith would be mad not to try a few 400ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hurdles1

Forge83 wrote: »
    I think the call on Rhasidat will be very tough. She almost certainly will be very heavily raced in the US by the Olympics and not in her top form. However I’d imagine the squad can carry more than 3 men and 3 women so she should be taken for the experience regardless as there is no doubt she is a future star for us. Does anyone know what the max number is?
    I have in my head that it’s 3 men and 3 women plus any individually qualified athletes.... could be wrong here.

On the men’s side I think guys like Purcell and English will have to run an actual 400 to be considered. O Donnell is the only cert.
    Robert McDonnell beat Andrew Melon running from Lane 8 in Lisburn last weekend. He is the dark horse for a spot. Then you have Cathal Crosbie as you said, Brian Gregan and a few others who might raise their game such as Cillian Greene.
    I think Marcus Lawlor and Mark Smith would be mad not to try a few 400ms.

Agree 100%. Rhasidad would gain an enormous ammount of experience from these olympics.
    Yeah think its 6 per squad plus any individually qualified athletes think 8 is the max pool.
    Mc Donnell looks a kid with a bright future also and would be massive for him to get the trip.
    Surprised a few of the 200m boys didnt step up to 4s this season especially with places on this team up for grabs and their training during lockdown mainly endurance and strength based
    Mellon is a solid athlete and did his bit in poland for the team but really we need 46sec athlete's and quicker . Tough call for selectors if they had to leave out Mellon and Becker if others show form in coming weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Really enjoyed Gateshead at the weekend, fantastic 5k from Katir. Probably worth sub 13 in normal conditions, will be interesting watching him going forward.

Great men's 1500m as well, really enjoyed watching Hoare push Ingebrigtsen all the way. Really looking forward to what both Hoare and McSweyn bring this summer, particularly in the case of the latter after a stellar 2020.

Looking forward to Doha on Friday, although the promised Obiri-Gidey duel now won't be happening as Gidey no longer on the entry list :(

The women's steeplechase is the race of the meet for me though. Chepkoech, Coburn, Kiyeng, Krause, Jeruto and Yavi all on the start list, could be insane!

hurdles1 wrote: »
    Agree 100%. Rhasidad would gain an enormous ammount of experience from these olympics.
    Yeah think its 6 per squad plus any individually qualified athletes think 8 is the max pool.
    Mc Donnell looks a kid with a bright future also and would be massive for him to get the trip.
    Surprised a few of the 200m boys didnt step up to 4s this season especially with places on this team up for grabs and their training during lockdown mainly endurance and strength based
    Mellon is a solid athlete and did his bit in poland for the team but really we need 46sec athlete's and quicker . Tough call for selectors if they had to leave out Mellon and Becker if others show form in coming weeks.

If Phil gets the spot in the 400 ind then it opens 3 spots for Sharlene, Sophie and Rhasidat. Hard to see past those 4 unless Cliona Manning is fully fit or Davicia Patterson starts getting some races over 400m. Outside bets would be Jenna Brommell who’s running 800s or the always surprising Catherine McManus.

Wouldn’t write Andrew off, he has ran 46.8 in the past. But I’m predicting a trio of O Donnell, McDonnell and Gregan(if no injuries).
    Forgot to mention Brandon Arrey earlier, he was in Africa last I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

Any results from the meet in Tilburg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Any results from the meet in Tilburg?

https://www.t-meeting.nl/en/results-and-media/live-results/

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

Mar Azul wrote: »

Did Hamish find his pen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

That Brian Fay lad looked good in the 3,000 steeple. Big PB and full of running. Surely some more to come off that time.

Itziger wrote: »
    That Brian Fay lad looked good in the 3,000 steeple. Big PB and full of running. Surely some more to come off that time.

Great decision for Brian to try the steeple. We need a decent steeplechaser as it’s a fairly soft event in Ireland.
    More of our elite 1500-5k runners should try their hand at it.

4th on the all time list, 11 secs off the big Q. Still don't understand why more dont give it a go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Names of those competing in the Ethiopian Olympics trials published.
    https://twitter.com/angasurunning/status/1394700195666042883?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1394700195666042883%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.embedly.com%2Fwidgets%2Fmedia.html%3Ftype%3Dtext2Fhtmlkey%3Dcb7145f1731b4c328f8e4d2201854ceaschema%3Dtwitterurl%3Dhttps3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fangasurunning%2Fstatus%2F1394700195666042883%2Fphoto%2F2image%3Dhttps3A%2F%2Fabs.twimg.com%2Ferrors%2Flogo46x38.png

Perhaps what jumps out at me the most is that some of the biggest names are down for one event only. Gidey and Tsegay are both down for only the 5k, seems mad to me that they wouldn't try and double? Particularly when the latter has just ran one of the fastest ever 10k's, and has yet to run faster than 14:46 for 5k. Hope this changes.

4th on the all time list, 11 secs off the big Q. Still don't understand why more dont give it a go.

Certainly great running, fastest time since 1985 which is kinda scary.
    And while it's 11 seconds of QT it would also take a national record to hit that time.

Fair play to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Ciara Mageean lost to Jenna Bromwell this evening over 800m. That doesn't bode well for Tokyo I'm afraid.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Ciara Mageean lost to Jenna Bromwell this evening over 800m. That doesn't bode well for Tokyo I'm afraid.

Aiming to peak the end of july, no pressure in her to run fast times just yet. She seems to be an atlhlete that peaks when it matters (well i hope so!)

Aiming to peak the end of july, no pressure in her to run fast times just yet. She seems to be an atlhlete that peaks when it matters (well i hope so!)

Sure, but 2:03.5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I’m guessing there was an injury or illness because she was down to run Gateshead last week and didn’t make it

You might be right of course but I’d be wary of projecting her Tokyo result based off one run over 800m tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RunOnTheLeft

Id say the head ain't right with Ciara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Sure, but 2:03.5?

The women's 800 was very messy. The pacer made it to about 350m and only Ellie Baker went with her (actually it seemed more like that the pacer started running out of steam after around 250m and the gap was closing quickly). Only Izzy Boffey got close to Baker in the last 100m. Ciara wasn't in it, but she did seem to shut down before the line, so I'd say the time is a little misleading, but obviously not in peak shape atm. Still only May and she's not chasing a QT, so can plan her peak more judiciously.

Otherwise, very interesting meet. Georgie Hartigan finished like a train in the last 100m to take the women's 1500m, Conor Bradley also looked good in the men's 5000m before being out-kicked on the home straight.

Brian Fay was very smooth - the way he ran the last 600m would suggest that the NR is in sight for him. Never looked in trouble and put 6s into the 2nd place finisher in the last lap and a half (who had looked quite good up to that point too!).

Lots of other good races to watch - we should definitely aspire to hosting a meet of that standard in Ireland.

Poor Aoife Cooke looked a bit mortified on the Late Late when Ryan Tubridy asked her about her medal prospects for Tokyo.

Stellar background research by Tubridy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

https://youtu.be/tU3yYvkiWiQ

Ladies 3000mts from Doha yesterday, great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Poor Aoife Cooke looked a bit mortified on the Late Late when Ryan Tubridy asked her about her medal prospects for Tokyo.

Stellar background research by Tubridy.

It was a joke. It was like he was waving them off to the community games in Mosney with his blessing. Derval and Daithi were impressive.

• Advertisement

Michelle finn just outside a pb with 9.39.

1500m looks like fun later

Advertisement