Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,952 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I was surprised to see she was even running the 4 x 400. Having said, it looks like that was her last race of the season according to her own interview yesterday and she'll be resting up for the next few months, so hopefully she's absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

She’s 18 and coasted to a 22.9 in the 200m. Bronze in Doha was 22.5. In London and Rio bronze was 22.1.

22.9 would get you into a 200m world final.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

Rhasidat, what a talent! I remember watching her in the Dublin indoors (outdoors in Santry) back in early 2014, she was tall even then and the talent was obvious, her form far from perfect. Her coach at the time was Tallaght ACs Johnny Fox (also one of the brains behind setting up darkness into light).

He nurtured that talent at a young age, if you've not met him, he's like a happy Grandad to all the kids and makes training fun. My own kids were and still are quite fond of him. He likes to fly under the radar but I just think he, Daniel Kilgannon and Tallaght should get a little mention in the side notes.

Rhasidat has brought much needed excitement to our country and no doubt the other stars of tomorrow.

Well done to all the u20s, their families and coaches.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Should we create a designated Olympics thread for the track and field, or stick to this one? How is it usually done on here? I think a designated Olympics one might be the way to go?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

I see Stephen Scullion is running Boston Marathon this year.

So after all the sneering and thinly-veiled accusations of the British press towards the Italian sprinters, it's one of the British guys who's doping. CJ Ujah provisionally suspended after testing positive for two banned substances. Looking likely they'll be stripped of the medal.

Been pining for some athletics action like mad since Tokyo, so looking forward to the Diamond League return this weekend.

Some fantastic fields announced already, including another Muir/Kipyegon duel in the 1500 and Ingebrigtsen/Cheruiyot in the mile. Perhaps the big story though will be Sifan Hassan who just announced she'll be attempting the 5000m world record! If she's not too fatigued then I think she'll do it, maybe even with the first ever sub 14? 👀

Warholm running 400 metres flat in Lausanne tomorrow week, will be very interesting to see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I think they're going to go after the mile world record. Did I hear/read the Olympic final pace was faster than the mile world record? So it should be on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rossi7

Is the Diamond League being shown on tv

It's in Oregon so big time difference. Apparently BBC have the rights but I think it'll be on the iplayer.

If you have access to North American channels and can put up with the bombardment of advertising you can it's between Peacock and NBC for the US and CBC sports in Canada.

TV/Streaming Information for 2021 Prefontaine Classic — Eugene Diamond League - LetsRun.com

It's divided into two sessions, late Friday night and Saturday afternoon Oregon time, so that's 4-6am and 9-11pm Saturday our time. The 4-6am session featuring Hassan going for the 5k WR is, unbelievably, being hidden behind a subscription service.

The Saturday session is on the BBC red button which is unavailable in Ireland but can (I think) be manually tuned in on Sky. Although these sessions are usually also streamed live on YouTube so here's to hoping there'll be one tomorrow night.

A chore just to try and watch some athletics, great way of promoting the sport 😏

Hassan nowhere near the WR, faded badly after 3k and finished in 14:27. Guess it was too soon after Tokyo, I wonder if she'll still try for the 10k WR in Brussels? That's less than two weeks away, doubt she'll be in WR shape by then, but who knows.

Francine Niyonsaba left Gidey and Obiri in her wake to win the women's 2 mile in 9:00.75. That places her #2 on the all-time list for the infrequently run distance. Of course Niyonsaba you'll recall is a DSD athlete and is banned from running distances from 400-1500m, I do wonder if she'll face a similar ban for all distances soon.

On the flip side, there was speculation this week that the rules may be overturned after World Athletics scientists admitted the findings behind their testosterone rules might be "misleading" and the evidence was only "exploratory", however Sebastian Coe says the rules are here to stay.

Future star alert:

Also, the main Eugene event will thankfully be streamed on YouTube tonight, some stacked fields and hopefully great races!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Ross Tucker had a good post on Instagram about the World Athletics CAS ruling

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CSwqRyXKMRg/?utm_medium=copy_link

No one watched Eugene then I take it? 😅

Elaine Thompson improved her PB to 10.54 for 100m, seems Flo Jo's juiced up record could be on borrowed time. Sha'Carri Richardson totally humiliated, finishing last in 11.14.

Courtney Frerich continues where she left off in the Olympics, runs 8:57 to smash the American steeplechase record and move to #4 on the all-time list. She didn't even win though! Norah Jeruto ran 8:53 to move to #3 on the all-time list. First ran sub-9 over three years ago but was unable to run at Worlds/Olympics due to some delay in transferring her allegiance from Kenya to... Kazakhstan. Would likely have won the gold in Tokyo, but we'll never know.

Jakob won the mile in 3:47, that's another record that might be on borrowed time. Big win in the 200m for Noah Lyles, 19.52 is just outside his PB. Mu and De Grasse both in fine form, whilst Faith Kipyegon rattled off another 3:53 1500m win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Jeez, that's fast by Thompson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

That run was the closest I've seen to the flo jo run form wise, she has a great stride and form to my eye ,

I honestly thought she had the record for the 200m in the semi's(maybe have been heat) In the Olympics, only for she slowed so much and thought that was the one under threat.

I never thought we'd see the women's record beaten as they rarely came close to it. *are these new shoes /spikes making a difference In the 100m do you think ?

Post edited by geotrig on

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Ingebrigsten still a way off the mile WR, he'd need to find another 4+ seconds to better El Guerrouj.

He's a bit closer at 1500m, an improvement of 2.4 secs would see him top the all-time list.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

There is no evidence to suggest she was juiced up, but her WR should have been void as there was a faulty wind gauge. Apparently, the triple jumpers were jumping with a 5+ head wind on the same home straight.

The wind reading is marked as 0.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

I agree nothing ever suggested from what we know that she was juiced, I'm not sure her WR should be voided though no one else was setting records there?*(they might have i dont know :P ) her 200m run shows she has great form and was set at a different event !

Turned out to be perfect timing. I watched the youtube stream saturday night on the phone. The handy thing about the streams is that you can live rewind so I'd over an hour to go back and watch which meant I got to go through the whole meet very efficiently. I reckon Jakob could have run faster if he wanted. He was just cruising at the end. McSweyn is such a great runner to watch and made it the pace it turned out to be. Jakob didn't kick until just over 200 to go and then was easing up at the end. His future dominance is starting to look a certainty. I reckon having only just beat Cheruiyot for the first time he might have been thinking a little tactically and wanted to cement his place as the world number 1 first before going record chasing.

Richardson seems very volatile. Her interview after coming last was a bit crazy and I wonder if she'll max out her potential or blow up.

I like McSweyn a lot, I just fear he'll forever be the pacemaker in these kind of races. Needs to develop some kind of finishing kick, would love to see him medal on the World/Olympic stage. And with a major championship coming up for the next four consecutive years, he'll have plenty of opportunities.

Just read that Warholm's flat 400m in Lausanne on Thursday is scheduled for six minutes before the two-hour televised slot. I'm assuming that was scheduled before he agreed to take part, kinda hoping someone has the good sense to change it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Warholm ran 45.51s in the 400m and finished fourth. I can't see him going under 44 seconds or even getting that close to it.

A meeting record was set in the womens 100m with the wind playing a big part (+1.4 I think). An unofficial MR was set in the mens 200m too but the wind was clocked at 2.4 m/s so it couldn't be counted. The times over the longer distances all suffered a little from it. I wouldn't guess how much 400 m times were affected but he's definitely got more in him than what he ran. He went out hard as usual but unfortunate for him the back straight was into the headwind which was a continuous 2 m/s or thereabouts so he faded a lot more in the second half than he normally would have I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,547 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Like I said, Flo Jo's time was legit....the girls are running it now sure........it's only 30 or so years......10.5/10.6/10.7........nothing in it. Flo Jo had some wind behind her, so it seems the Jamaican lasses are pretty much as fast as she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Flo Jo's time was run in the QF. There's no way it was legit. 5 m/s wind speeds were recorded in the men's TJ, which was on a parallel runway. The vid is on youtube. No way. She ran 10.70 +1.6 in the SF, and 10.61 +1.2 in the final. Diane Williams was second in her QF, running a PB 10.86. Her next best time was 10.94 +0.6 at altitude (Colorado Springs). The third QF had a +5 wind reading.

In the men's TJ there were 21 wind assisted jumps in excess of 17.25m, with winds of 4 - 5.3 m/s. There are no wind legal jumps in excess of 17.25m

• Registered Users Posts: 54,547 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My point was that Flo jo was running legit times back then same as ladies today running same times legit. The 10.49 likely had good wind behind it…we know about this.

• Advertisement

Warholm clearly had a bad night in Lausanne, he's almost certainly capable of going quicker.

Paris coming up soon, although not the best field imo. Could have more DSD drama in the women's 3k where Niyonsaba is racing. Niyonsaba ran the second fastest ever two miles a week or so ago, could we potentially see a sub 8:20 effort here?

Of course Klosterhalfen actually has the fastest PB in the field but always seems to be battling some injury or other. Hope we see her get back to her best at some stage, I don't think we've ever really seen her full potential yet.

El Bakkali will be racing Kipruto in the steeplechase, that could be good if Kipruto is in any kind of decent form.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

Advertisement