Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Another PB for Sarah Lavin, 8.13.

Grant Holloway 7.34 in the semi final. WR to come later?!

Yes it does! 7.29 world record and he hadn't a clue he'd broken it, time said 7.32 at first.

8:22.65 in the 3000m for Tsegay, third fastest of all time, apparently was a WR attempt. Really looking forward to what Tsegay will do this year. Like watching 3k as a distance also, wish it was still a championship race outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Dindane

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Possibly a daft question but does anyone know if the commentary will be in Irish???

You'll have watched it by now but it was in Irish. Wasn't their usual commentator though.

They showed a few events in English a few years ago but not for long, someone must have been onto them.

There was a rumour they picked up last year's Europeans in Paris but as these were cancelled, we'll never know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Dindane wrote: »
    You'll have watched it by now but it was in Irish. Wasn't their usual commentator though.

They showed a few events in English a few years ago but not for long, someone must have been onto them.

There was a rumour they picked up last year's Europeans in Paris but as these were cancelled, we'll never know for sure.

To be fair, it should be in Irish. It's an Irish channel.

I'd have rather have listened to Tim Hutchings, but that makes me feel a bit ashamed, that I've got such poor understanding of my own language. :(

• Advertisement

My Irish isn't the best but I recognised "bróga nua" alright though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Another PB for Sarah Lavin, 8.13.

Sarah Lavin ran really well. I feel like there’s more in the tank, with the possibility of getting close to 8.00 in Toruń. Nadine Visser, who won the race is a serious operator.

Bit disappointed with Andrew Coscoran. I was hoping to see him get close to 3:35. Think he might have gone out a little too hard.

Chivito550 wrote: »

I'd have rather have listened to Tim Hutchings, but that makes me feel a bit ashamed, that I've got such poor understanding of my own language. :(

It's good it was on, but I'm not a fan of exclusive coverage being available in Irish alone, and if you don't speak Irish, go whistle. I'd rather have had access to English-language coverage, and on TV. I've had it with digging for streams.

Not saying it shouldn't be on TG4, but in other countries with more than one language, coverage is broadcast in different languages - Switzerland, Belgium and Finland come to mind.

S4C and BBC Alba do alternative rugby commentary in English on the red button for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

In regards Holloway’s WR, the clock originally showed 7.32 at the finish line but was rounded down to 7.29. That’s a big amount to be taken off a time of that distance, no?

I’m not questioning the WR for one second, more wondering why the original finish time given was so far off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

OOnegative wrote: »
    In regards Holloway’s WR, the clock originally showed 7.32 at the finish line but was rounded down to 7.29. That’s a big amount to be taken off a time of that distance, no?

I’m not questioning the WR for one second, more wondering why the original finish time given was so far off?

If you look at the stream, you can see that the TV clock doesn't stop until the last athlete is actually over the line, at which point Holloway is halfway to the crash pads! And in fact, that clock is showing 6.9 when he crosses the line. I'd imagine the official timing system is completely separate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Dindane wrote: »
    It's good it was on, but I'm not a fan of exclusive coverage being available in Irish alone, and if you don't speak Irish, go whistle. I'd rather have had access to English-language coverage, and on TV. I've had it with digging for streams.

Not saying it shouldn't be on TG4, but in other countries with more than one language, coverage is broadcast in different languages - Switzerland, Belgium and Finland come to mind.

S4C and BBC Alba do alternative rugby commentary in English on the red button for example.

Ah come on - athletics has struggled for years to get any coverage at all in Irish media, and particularly TV. This is the first time I can ever remember TG4 showing athletics. It was never going to be on RTE or Virgin.

Obviously RTE and Virgin Media cover sport in English. 95% of it is the holy trinity of soccer, rugby and GAA.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Ah come on - athletics has struggled for years to get any coverage at all in Irish media, and particularly TV. This is the first time I can ever remember TG4 showing athletics. It was never going to be on RTE or Virgin.

Obviously RTE and Virgin Media cover sport in English. 95% of it is the holy trinity of soccer, rugby and GAA.

They show the AIT meet, but other than that this is the first I can recall. In fact it's the first time Irish TV has shown a non championship/ non nationals/ non Great Ireland Run meet since the 90s when RTE used to show the Golden Four meets when Sonia was cleaning up on the circuit. Open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

In fairness to them, it was very good coverage. Great to see a channel here take it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

They show the AIT meet, but other than that this is the first I can recall. In fact it's the first time Irish TV has shown a non championship/ non nationals/ non Great Ireland Run meet since the 90s when RTE used to show the Golden Four meets when Sonia was cleaning up on the circuit. Open to correction.

Even the nationals tend to be highlights, no matter what way you cut it, its not as enjoyable when you know the results.

The European Cross Country is the only annual live athletics TV show that I can think of.

Even the nationals tend to be highlights, no matter what way you cut it, its not as enjoyable when you know the results.

The European Cross Country is the only annual live athletics TV show that I can think of.

Ah the nationals have been live the last 3 years. Not the full nationals, but the main track finals on the Sunday.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

https://live.pttiming.com/?mid=2112

Big 12 Indoors this weekend. Davicia Patterson is running in 600y and Rhasidat Adeleke in the 400m both for Texas

Adeleke is in the DMR team, and both her and Patterson in the 4x400 team as well.

Interesting to see both of them moving up in distance. They're only freshmen though so plenty more from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Faugheen wrote: »
    https://live.pttiming.com/?mid=2112

Big 12 Indoors this weekend. Davicia Patterson is running in 600y and Rhasidat Adeleke in the 400m both for Texas

Adeleke is in the DMR team, and both her and Patterson in the 4x400 team as well.

Interesting to see both of them moving up in distance. They're only freshmen though so plenty more from them.

Patterson fastest in the heats for the 600y with a 1:20.46

You love to see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Adeleke ran a junior record in the 400 heats, 54.14.

There was a last minute switch in the relay, with Patterson running the 400 leg in place of Adeleke. She ran 52.8 and Texas finished 3rd.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Adeleke ran a junior record in the 400 heats, 54.14.

There was a last minute switch in the relay, with Patterson running the 400 leg in place of Adeleke. She ran 52.8 and Texas finished 3rd.

That was her first time running 400m competitively as well, I believe. That’s incredible.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    That was her first time running 400m competitively as well, I believe. That’s incredible.

I suspect she'll drop chunks off that time once she figures out the distance. 23 second speed indicates potential to go 52 at least.

TG4 have shown Athlone and the Cork City Sports live every year (that they're not been cancelled) since 2017. The first edition of each was in English, but I think a long bout of tennis in English one weekend put the end to that.

Irish TV (the channel) showed Athlone for the first few years before that.

I remember Setanta showing a couple of European Team Championships live and they have had the Antrim/Belfast Cross-Country on for the last 10 years or so.

Plus Setanta Ireland showed the Golden League right through the 00s as well and a few Mortons into the 10s.

Highlights of the schools were on various channels for many years too, and RTE have had the nationals (indoor and outdoor) on live for the last few years, so there's been coverage. It's been on different channels, but it's been there.

Patterson won the 600yd final by over 2 seconds. Adeleke up shortly in the 400 final.

Note that Lubbock is at almost 1000m altitude.

Edited to add: 53.44 for 3rd in the first final.

Class from Patterson. Not many win a conference title let alone a Big 12 in your FR year.

Quite a few big names going after Olympic qualifiers in Texas tonight. I'll be keeping a close eye on Klosterhalfen in the 10k. Entry lists here, stream here.

Quite a few big names going after Olympic qualifiers in Texas tonight. I'll be keeping a close eye on Klosterhalfen in the 10k. Entry lists here, stream here.

Interesting. Klosterhalfen has been very quiet since she won bronze in Doha. I’m excited to see what she can do over 10km.

On a related note, I used to live in Germany and follow athletics over there. The amount of snide commentary she receives on her weight is infuriating. I like her and hope she does well this evening and later in the year in Tokyo.

The 2 Irish women led off Texas in the 4x4, with Adeleke running 53.88 from blocks and Patterson following up with 52.55.

Looking good for the Irish 4x4 in the next few years.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The 2 Irish women led off Texas in the 4x4, with Adeleke running 53.88 from blocks and Patterson following up with 52.55.

Looking good for the Irish 4x4 in the next few years.

Irish relays are looking good in general in the women’s categories aren’t they? Neville, the Healy’s, Scott among the 4x1 and you could easily have Adeleke knocking around there as well. Phil, Patterson, Adeleke making up 4x4 and you have Mawdsley as well who may not impress individually all the time but has always been a strong relay competitor.

What’s happening with Gina Akpe-Moses does anyone know? I haven’t heard about her in a while.

31:01 and new German NR for Klosterhalfen. She lapped the entire field.

Thought she might run a little faster, but it was a strong performance, given the lack of competition, and incredibly high humidity. I expect she’s capable of low 30:xx in ideal conditions. She’s probably a lock for Top 5 in Tokyo.

• Advertisement

Hamachi wrote: »
    31:01 and new German NR for Klosterhalfen. She lapped the entire field.

Thought she might run a little faster, but it was a strong performance, given the lack of competition, and incredibly high humidity. I expect she’s capable of low 30:xx in ideal conditions. She’s probably a lock for Top 5 in Tokyo.

Would've been nice to see her get sub 31 but as you said it was quite humid. Will be very interesting to see what she'll pick for Tokyo, don't really know where her best chance of medaling is. If it's 10k she picks then I think it'll be bronze at best she's running for, and she'll likely have to get into sub 30:20 shape.

Advertisement