Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband help!

Options
  • 31-01-2021 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

We are out in the country, only old lines in our area, so broadband is very slow through the wires. 5 mbps is what our line can carry. We've had dsl Vodafone, download 3.6 upload 0.3. A friend gave me a loan of a Vodafone mobile 4g unit and its so much quicker. My problem is its capped at 300gb per mth. I've no idea what we use as the one we've had is unlimited and they tell me they can't give me my usage!
    Our other option is digiweb satellite, they say speed is quite good but ping is 60-70 so not recommended for online gaming.
    Can anyone advise me is that really bad ping for online gaming? Would it definitely not be able to be played, its only fifa and Minecraft....
    And how can I find out or can I find out if I go over 300gb as it is.... Any advice really appreciated as I'm a bit clueless with all this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Give this crowd a buzz. I have been with them for a few years now and they provide a great service https://wirelessconnect.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Excellent thanks, can I ask what kind of a package are you on? I am going to contact them now and see if its available in my area.

dexter647 wrote: »
    Give this crowd a buzz. I have been with them for a few years now and they provide a great service https://wirelessconnect.ie/

Not available where we are unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

What kind of signals do ye get on your mobile phones?
    If you have 3 what kind of speeds are ye getting?
    You could get an LTE router and pop in a PAYG 3 sim for 20 a month if the reception in your area is good.
    Might not be the most reliable option if you work from home or need a good connection for gaming, everything else would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

XsApollo wrote: »
    What kind of signals do ye get on your mobile phones?
    If you have 3 what kind of speeds are ye getting?
    You could get an LTE router and pop in a PAYG 3 sim for 20 a month if the reception in your area is good.
    Might not be the most reliable option if you work from home or need a good connection for gaming, everything else would be fine.

Just re read your post , about the gaming .
    I would still check the connection for a 3 sim over the course of a day and see how you get on.

• Advertisement

Where would you get a lte router from?
    We're gomo and Vodafone mobile. That would be great if wrkd but would need a good connection as working and school from home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

michdee wrote: »
    Not available where we are unfortunately

Sorry to hear that...Aptus based in Carlow might be another option for you

Yes just been onto them. They have unlimited with fair usage of 35gb per day..... 53e! Might b the best option as it unlimited

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

michdee wrote: »
    Yes just been onto them. They have unlimited with fair usage of 35gb per day..... 53e! Might b the best option as it unlimited

That's not actually unlimited... 35GB in a day is actually easily reachable with modern games (Call of Duty PC updates for example are often up to 70GB). Add in schooling/video calls, Netflix/streaming and any downloading and you'll hit that regularly.

You need to ask them what happens if you go over the 35GB.. do they cut the speed, charge you extra, etc.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That's not actually unlimited... 35GB in a day is actually easily reachable with modern games (Call of Duty PC updates for example are often up to 70GB). Add in schooling/video calls, Netflix/streaming and any downloading and you'll hit that regularly.

You need to ask them what happens if you go over the 35GB.. do they cut the speed, charge you extra, etc.

Thanks for that, when I reread that I was questioning that myself as even one game to download for ps4 would be over that..... Surely it'd be a rolling 35gb per day??? I will enquire further if we go down that route. Thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

dexter647 wrote: »

What sort of speeds you get with this?. Is it reliable also?

Thanks for all the replies. Awaiting aptus to install broadband for us.

Advertisement