Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young bull recovering from pneumonia and bloat

• 31-01-2021 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Have a yearling PB bull recovering from pneumonia and bloat in December. He had to get red devil into rumen to keep the bloat at bay, has had it removed over a month and still isn’t thriving. Getting hay, straw and a couple of scoops of calf crunch daily. Seems to be pressing to dung a lot too.

Anyone had the same issue and did animal recover?

He was bought for use in spring time with heifers but not looking good at the minute.

Any tips on what I can do to get him going?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I'd be looking for a replacement. Whatever he has is now gone chronic and has a correspondingly low chance of improvement.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

greysides wrote: »
    I'd be looking for a replacement. Whatever he has is now gone chronic and has a correspondingly low chance of improvement.

Would cud juices help him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Wouldn't hurt.... if you could get them.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I don’t see how it could help. The animal is bloating probably because the glands on the lower neck are swollen from the pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 antrimite

He’s past the bloat stage and the pneumonia has cleared he’s just not improving.

Hoping that once he hits good grass in spring it’ll maybe give him a boost.

He’s a well bred bull and cost good money so want to give him every chance to make it.

Have never had the issue in an animal before so it’s hard to know what to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

antrimite wrote: »
    He’s past the bloat stage and the pneumonia has cleared he’s just not improving.

Hoping that once he hits good grass in spring it’ll maybe give him a boost.

He’s a well bred bull and cost good money so want to give him every chance to make it.

Have never had the issue in an animal before so it’s hard to know what to do!

I would worry about his lungs. If this wasn’t the first bout of pneumonia he’s had his lungs may be damaged beyond him thriving. We did a PM on a dead heifer here at the house one night amd the thing that struck me was how small bovine lungs are, vet was saying often one bad bout of pneumonia can be enough for permanent damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We had a fr bull last year he got pneumonia. I thought he had recovered. Let him in with heifers and he wasnt well. This was months after he was treated. His heart came under pressure and there was a big swelling in the bottom of his neck. Vet came out and he died the next day. If I had the time back, I'd have sent him to the factory after the drugs cleared from the first bout.

whelan2 wrote: »
    We had a fr bull last year he got pneumonia. I thought he had recovered. Let him in with heifers and he wasnt well. This was months after he was treated. His heart came under pressure and there was a big swelling in the bottom of his neck. Vet came out and he died the next day. If I had the time back, I'd have sent him to the factory after the drugs cleared from the first bout.

We had a heifer bulling during the week and put her in, he was definitely interested but didn’t seem to have the piff to get up and serve her. He got serious jabs on his rump treating the pneumonia and seems a bit stiff in back legs so hoping that’s maybe the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Have a yearling PB bull recovering from pneumonia and bloat in December. He had to get red devil into rumen to keep the bloat at bay, has had it removed over a month and still isn’t thriving. Getting hay, straw and a couple of scoops of calf crunch daily. Seems to be pressing to dung a lot too.

Anyone had the same issue and did animal recover?

He was bought for use in spring time with heifers but not looking good at the minute.

Any tips on what I can do to get him going?
    If he was mine I would be trying everything to get him going cause otherwise he doesn't sound like he is going to make it. The dung pressing is most likely due to the dry feed of hay/straw. Can you give him silage or let him out to a paddock for a nip of grass for a few hours every day. Milk of Magnesia is good cure for an animal that maybe has murrin (sp) but as I suggested in your other thread try to get cud juice from a local abattoir.

_Brian wrote: »
    I would worry about his lungs. If this wasn’t the first bout of pneumonia he’s had his lungs may be damaged beyond him thriving. We did a PM on a dead heifer here at the house one night amd the thing that struck me was how small bovine lungs are, vet was saying often one bad bout of pneumonia can be enough for permanent damage.

Vet seemed to think it was all stress related as we imported him from Scotland and he hadn’t been in a crush never mind on a trailer for 8hrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

_Brian wrote: »

Was that a Belgium blue by any chance. I think their lungs are smaller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We had a heifer bulling during the week and put her in, he was definitely interested but didn’t seem to have the piff to get up and serve her. He got serious jabs on his rump treating the pneumonia and seems a bit stiff in back legs so hoping that’s maybe the problem
    TBH I wouldn't be putting him under extra pressure introducing bulling heifers. The bull needs time to heal and get healthy before you can think about him working. You said that you imported him from Scotland and I'm sure he is costing you a lot but unfortunately you are where you are so take my advice and give him time.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Two questions, what age is he? Was he a soft well fleshed animal when you bought him?

Two questions, what age is he? Was he a soft well fleshed animal when you bought him?

He’s just turned a year old and he was definitely not pushed as a calf, born and reared outside with some creep meal 6 weeks before weaning. The third time have bought from the same herd as they don’t push their stock

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

How is he doing now?

How is he doing now?

Coming slowly. We put an iodine bolus into him last week and he’s came round a bit. He got a dose of closamectin and few days outside at grass (before the freeze) and it definitely perked him up. Going to be a long road to getting some flesh on him

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

He’s just turned a year old and he was definitely not pushed as a calf, born and reared outside with some creep meal 6 weeks before weaning. The third time have bought from the same herd as they don’t push their stock

Never get the fascination with such young bulls here in Ireland, in the north and in the uk most bulls would be 18-24months before they would even think of using them. It’s a lot of stress on a young bull that’s just hitting puberty to be thrown out with cows.

Hope your bull turns the corner for you though, I would recommend getting him fertility tested before you want to use him anyway to be sure he will do the job

Never get the fascination with such young bulls here in Ireland, in the north and in the uk most bulls would be 18-24months before they would even think of using them. It’s a lot of stress on a young bull that’s just hitting puberty to be thrown out with cows.

Hope your bull turns the corner for you though, I would recommend getting him fertility tested before you want to use him anyway to be sure he will do the job

I’m in the north, we have never had any issues with Simmental bull of 16 months going out with half a dozen heifers in May time for 6 weeks then to the cows at start of July. I feel if bulls are pushed with ration from young age then they’ll be soft as pig dung when it comes to the business end of things.

And he’ll def get tested April time if he’s made progress

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

I’m in the north, we have never had any issues with Simmental bull of 16 months going out with half a dozen heifers in May time for 6 weeks then to the cows at start of July. I feel if bulls are pushed with ration from young age then they’ll be soft as pig dung when it comes to the business end of things.

Absolutely the feeding plays a massive part as well, have men here in the west would be looking for bulls fertility tested from 9months of age!! Big difference putting them out with 6 heifers and lads letting bulls 12-14 months off with 20-30cows straight after buying them.

Absolutely the feeding plays a massive part as well, have men here in the west would be looking for bulls fertility tested from 9months of age!! Big difference putting them out with 6 heifers and lads letting bulls 12-14 months off with 20-30cows straight after buying them.

I remember reading that a young bull first time should not be put with any more cows than his age in months.

Men looking daily live weight gain figures are the blight of the suckler farmer. I would never buy a bull in a pedigree sale. Fed nothing but ration for months and more interested in standing at the trough instead of serving cows. I have seen it happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭148multi

I remember reading that a young bull first time should not be put with any more cows than his age in months.

Men looking daily live weight gain figures are the blight of the suckler farmer. I would never buy a bull in a pedigree sale. Fed nothing but ration for months and more interested in standing at the trough instead of serving cows. I have seen it happen

Can you find out if the breeder gave him a worm bolus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Do you have a replacement for him?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do you have a replacement for him?

Not yet! May possibly AI the heifers he was due to run with in May and buy a mature bull to run with cows in July.

Any men with easy calving Sim bulls (polled preferably) send them my way

Advertisement