Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview signal finder

Options
  • 31-01-2021 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I have a saorview aerial in my attic and it’s very hard to get a signal. Can anyone recommend a simple signal finder that might assist me? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Generally speaking, if you have the aerial pointed at the likely best transmitter, have it as high as possible, clear of obstructions, & you still don't get anything, then you're probably never going to have satisfactory attic reception. A signal meter should only really be for finding the best possible spot: I've used a small TV manually tuned to a wanted channel.

Try to have the aerial pointing through roof rather than wall, avoid anything metallic or water-filled, & keep in mind outdoor objects like trees & other buildings.

https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage shows transmitter locations & channels used.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hurler85

Generally speaking, if you have the aerial pointed at the likely best transmitter, have it as high as possible, clear of obstructions, & you still don't get anything, then you're probably never going to have satisfactory attic reception. A signal meter should only really be for finding the best possible spot: I've used a small TV manually tuned to a wanted channel.

Try to have the aerial pointing through roof rather than wall, avoid anything metallic or water-filled, & keep in mind outdoor objects like trees & other buildings.

https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage shows transmitter locations & channels used.

Thanks. I have some channels but not picking them all up so some fine tuning is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There should be a menu on your TV that shows signal quality and strength. I think quality is the more important measure. There are two frequencies on each transmitter. One of them carries Multiplex (Mux) 1 with RTE 2 and other channels. The other one carries Mux 2 with RTE 1 and other channels. From the other link, or from this one see what signal quality you are getting on the frequencies / channel numbers on whichever transmitter you are getting your signals from.

https://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sept-2019-Rev.1.2.pdf

There are reports here from time to time that people are only able to get one Mux. But they never seem to examine the signal quality / strength which should be the first port of call. As far as I know the Settings Menu on most TV's should bring you to the readings. If you are able to move the aerial while observing the readings, that should help to peak the signal.

Advertisement