Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cruciate Ligament Injury

• 31-01-2021 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I have a 12 year old jack russell who in October ruptured his cruciate ligament. He had surgery and while he uses it for general standing on and when playing he will not use his leg to walk on. Occasionally on the beach he will take 2-4 steps then hold it up again.

I have tried doing swims in the bath, exercises the vet says and he still won't use it.

Has anyone had experience with this type of injury with a pet and if so does anyone have any recommendations on how to help him walk on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Has the vet checked for illiopsoas strain?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Olaf52

tk123 wrote: »
    Has the vet checked for illiopsoas strain?

No but he has done several X-rays and the dog doesn’t seem to be in pain. If I put toys at a height he can stand on his hind legs with no reaction but he won’t use his leg to walk with. 🀷*♀️

Somebody posted in the last few months with the same problem and the dog did start using the leg eventually. I haven’t had this problem with my guy - he’s had 2 surgeries each on both legs and walked on them immediately and thought he was fine lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Olaf52

tk123 wrote: »
    Somebody posted in the last few months with the same problem and the dog did start using the leg eventually. I haven’t had this problem with my guy - he’s had 2 surgeries each on both legs and walked on them immediately and thought he was fine lol!

Thanks for the response. I had hoped he would be using it again by now and vet is now talking more surgery to take the plate out. I’m just not sure how much more he can take and what will happen if taking the plate out doesn’t work either 😢😢

Olaf52 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. I had hoped he would be using it again by now and vet is now talking more surgery to take the plate out. I’m just not sure how much more he can take and what will happen if taking the plate out doesn’t work either 😢😢

:( my guy had TTA-Rapid for his knees so no plate thank god. He did have iliopsoas strain both times where he went very lame and it takes a few months of rest and
    careful exercise to heal. It can be very worrying though because we second guess if we did the right thing.

My vet recommended walking as slowly as possible to make sure they’re shifting weight properly. I’d also maybe try stepping him over stuff - you don’t need to buy cones and poles - like a brush handle, the pole off the vacuum and stuff like that works fine on the floor. Another simple thing - a treat dispenser to get him moving without realising he’s moving and over thinking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Is there an animal/veterinary physiotherapist near you?

Advertisement