Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Why are the Irish Government siding with the DUP and Tories over Article 16?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

beerguts wrote: »
    For a lot of Irish people in the Republic we are sick to death of the Northern Irish. They make everything political, where common sense in this covid 19 pandemic should dictate that we work together we can't because a bunch of planters. These morons who think they are superior to us in every sense have lived of the British tit for generations and would never lower themselves to take the lead from Dublin. Coupled with this a nationalist population up there who love to be seen as the victim always.
    I cannot hack any northerner anymore and I want done with the place. But what really galls me is our political parties who never challenged them or try to impose some standards in how they run their affairs, just look at the Quinn industries where the director was kidnapped and mutilated. This happened because our authorities dont want to rock the boat up there with the nordies on the border and let the situation get totally out of hand.
    But let the Irish government know this if they in some way endanger our place in the single market just to placate them in that northern dump they will have a very angry populace in the Republic. Shut the border now.

We love you too mate.

Like really you are incredibly ignorant of Northern Ireland the people who live there.

Admit...you really haven't a clue what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

lawred2 wrote: »
    That doesn't mean a whole lot

The PSNI seem to think differently. Maybe it isn't but it would be naive to think that even a small minority in NI aren't happy about all the recent talk about an United Ireland. I say they are still pretty hardcore in places like East Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I voted Remain and stand by that viewpoint (being from NI)...but what staggers me about it is that the EU actually invoked Article 16 without telling the Irish government...think about that for a minute and tell me that isn't staggering. I'm still a Remainer (for what it's worth nowadays), but when I see things like that I have to concede that not all Brexiteer points are ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The issue is macron and his belief that playing billy big balls works politically in the modern era. He has been constantly throwing jibes around brexit and then after this issue he threw shade on whether astra zeneca was safe for over 65s , clearly against the recommendation of eu health.

He is basically a **** stirrer who uses populist french sentiment to mask his own incompetence.

And I actually support the EU, just not a macron fan. Merkel is her balanced and we'll thought out self as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Monitoring and if necessary preventing EU produced vaccines moving from EU to UK is a legitimate and perfectly reasonable aim of the EU in the context of the AstraZeneca contract reneging debacle.

Last i checked the UK included NI, and would be a backdoor into GB.

The Irish government need to decide who's side they're on here. The DUP/Tories or the EU? Of course SF are against anything which acknowledges partition, so their view isn't relevant here. Are the Irish government so naive that they would allow vaccines be shipped from Dublin to Belfast and on to GB at a time of limited supply, rather than upset the Unionists?

The Northern assembly are f**king useless. At this stage the English have tried to break as many ties as possible so they have passed them over to us. Unless the Republic does something then nothing will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

bilston wrote: »
    We love you too mate.

Like really you are incredibly ignorant of Northern Ireland the people who live there.

Admit...you really haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Yes I am an Irish citizen from a county over a hundred miles from your statelet (Assuming you are from there and not some Shinner fanboy). I have been to Belfast which was a nice city but I have seen it once and have no desire to go there again. I have worked with Northern Irish in the Republic and have always avoided talking about their views or life up there in general. This is because I do not know much regards the North nor really care. What I do care about is how my politicians in the Republic represent this country. I do not want for them to be seen taking the side of either GB or the Northern Irish above the EU. This is where my loyalties lie. Does this make you happy!!

BTW - I brought up the Quinn incident because of his role in the Anglo Irish collapse and his subsequent attempts to avoid facing the consequences for his actions which led in part to the assault of the ex Quinn director.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I voted Remain and stand by that viewpoint (being from NI)...but what staggers me about it is that the EU actually invoked Article 16 without telling the Irish government...think about that for a minute and tell me that isn't staggering. I'm still a Remainer (for what it's worth nowadays), but when I see things like that I have to concede that not all Brexiteer points are ridiculous.

The EU's support for Ireland in terms of the border during the Brexit talks was little more than a negotiating tactic, something to hit the brits over the head with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

No vaccines should leave the EU at all until we're all accounted for unless it's reciprocal

• Advertisement

timeToLive wrote: »
    No vaccines should leave the EU at all until we're all accounted for unless it's reciprocal
    The WHO disagrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

The WHO disagrees.

Who? :confused:

Do not rely on the WHO

timeToLive wrote: »
    Who? :confused:

Do not rely on the WHO

Well i'd agree the WHO havent exactly played a blinder over the last year but using this vaccine and a small member state as pawns is not a good look for the Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭firemansam4

The EU never invoked Article 16. It was never actually passed.
    The EU realised what a **** up they made by threatening to invoke this, and promptly backtracked on it. They have admitted it was a mistake.
    Now up until this the EU have backed Ireland in every way when it comes to the protocol to protect against the hard border.

Contrast this to the way the UK have acted throughout the Brexit process where they actually did bring in the Internal markets bill and broke international law doing so. I think many might give the EU a pass on this as long as its not indicitive of future actions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

The PSNI seem to think differently. Maybe it isn't but it would be naive to think that even a small minority in NI aren't happy about all the recent talk about an United Ireland. I say they are still pretty hardcore in places like East Belfast.

People in both countries unhappy about talk of an united Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,225 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In relation to the OP. The Dáil was elected, both government and opposition TDs, to do what is in the best interests of the Irish people, not Europe, not the UK, the Irish.

Advertisement