Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kango not working

• 31-01-2021 11:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

I have a demolition hammer which I used a few years ago. It has been unused this last 2 years in the shed. Was fine when I left it in. I suppose there is dampness and humidity in the shed. Anyway took it out yesterday and it worked for about 3 seconds then started to smoke and smell. There were Sparks inside initially.Left it a while, tried again, nothing only burning. Anyway took out brushes, almost new but with a few scratches. Opened side and hovered, cleaned and sprayed with wd40. Tried to clean the round shaft between brushes too. Blow dried. Switched on and ran for 6 seconds, before the same thing happened again. The Sparks are between motor shaft which spins between brushes, and the brushes. What might be the issue? Thanks a lot
    johney

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

What sort of gap is there between the segments on the commutator (thats the bit the brushes push against)?

I'd take a fine junior hacksaw blade and just pull it across those gaps so you take off a very tiny bit of the insulator. All you are doing is cleaning the surface of the insulator.

It could be those insulators that have conductive crap on them or got damp and aren't really insulating anymore.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Is the commutator very black/ burned?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭johney

Lads thanks a million and I appreciate the help. The commuter looks fine, no rust as far as I can see. But I cannot extract the motor. The design is strange. I have to break the Kango to get out the motor.Is the insulator the groves running along the length of the commuter? And do you mean to run the hacksaw along these groves, or perpendicular to them so that effectively I touch the commutator only. Thanks a million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

johney wrote: »
    Lads thanks a million and I appreciate the help. The commuter looks fine, no rust as far as I can see. But I cannot extract the motor. The design is strange. I have to break the Kango to get out the motor.Is the insulator the groves running along the length of the commuter? And do you mean to run the hacksaw along these groves, or perpendicular to them so that effectively I touch the commutator only. Thanks a million

If you can get at the commutator then I was suggesting you clean up the insulators between the contacts, which are often grooves between them. So you very carefully run something between each contact on the commutator.

This shows you how its done crudely done on another brushed electric motor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Pqp8IZajE

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement