Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abuse towards footballers online

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

DVDM93 wrote: »
    It's a real shame that yet another Manchester United player has fallen victim to racial abuse due to the performance of the team on the pitch.

This is the 2nd time & 3rd player within a week, it's absolutely disgusting.

There is no place in this world for racism let alone our beautiful game.

YNWA, Marcus Rashford.

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1355645777213853699?s=20

Absolutely agree. Social media is an cesspit. I wonder were the accounts throwaway. I got some WhatsApp messages recently that seemed to indicate Rio Ferdinand was on the receiving end of some disgusting Twitter comments about his deceased wife from a rival clubs supporter over the last couple of weeks and United fans took it upon themselves to find this individuals identity to name and shame him which they did. You would hope that a similar approach would be taken with people making racist comments. People might think twice about acting Johnny big Bollix online if this became the norm for those guilty of it. Until legal action is taken to address racist behaviour from fans, whether United fans or fans of rival teams or just **** trolling, its sadly not going to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Absolutely agree. Social media is an cesspit. I wonder were the accounts throwaway. I got some WhatsApp messages recently that seemed to indicate Rio Ferdinand was on the receiving end of some disgusting Twitter comments about his deceased wife from a rival clubs supporter over the last couple of weeks and United fans took it upon themselves to find this individuals identity to name and shame him which they did. You would hope that a similar approach would be taken with people making racist comments. People might think twice about acting Johnny big Bollix online if this became the norm for those guilty of it. Until legal action is taken to address racist behaviour from fans, whether United fans or fans of rival teams or just **** trolling, its sadly not going to change.

Name and shame is right. Enough is enough.

United as a club have been excellent in this. Not letting it go and hightling it at every case. Delighted and proud to least see that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Name and shame is right. Enough is enough.

United as a club have been excellent in this. Not letting it go and hightling it at every case. Delighted and proud to least see that

Is highlighting the best thing to do? This isn't a dig at United or anyone btw, but just a thought.

There's so many of these clowns sending abuse to players and they are from nameless, faceless accounts. Kids and attention seekers creating fake accounts in order to send abuse. And for what reason? To gain attention and notoriety. So that they can go into school or wherever the next day and show off to their mates how they created a viral tweet or a viral Instagram message. They are getting the attention they crave and then have to try and out do each other again and again every week. One person gets so much attention on twitter this week so the next week, someone else wants that twitter attention but also wants to be featured on sky sports news. There's probably adults at it too.

Marcus Rashford, again, has the right idea in my eyes. Not giving them a platform. Not showing their name so to not give them the attention they crave.

Of course, the clubs and players should have a strict policy on racism as a whole in attempts to irradiate the issue but giving individuals particular attention may not the best way to tackle the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think the claims that "social media" is terrible isn't helping. It puts the thought in the back of people's minds that social media is the issue, not the people.

The people racially abusing players are not just racist because theyre on social media. I'll bet their mates listen to them tell "off colour" jokes and think they're great craic and its "just jokes, he's only having a laugh".

It's a societal issue, social media is just an easy access way to famous people now. These same people would be sending hate mail before the internet or throwing banana skins and making monkey noises in the relative safety of the crowd that won't call them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

A big problem in combatting racism is how much some football fans prioritise football's importance compared to actual important issues. Whenever there's a player that speaks out you always get a load of supporters responding along the lines of 'I know racism is bad and all but if you hadn't missed that 5 yard sitter we'd listen to you. Concentrate on your game' Looking at Rashfords replies today there's plenty of them.

• Advertisement

I think the claims that "social media" is terrible isn't helping. It puts the thought in the back of people's minds that social media is the issue, not the people.

The people racially abusing players are not just racist because theyre on social media. I'll bet their mates listen to them tell "off colour" jokes and think they're great craic and its "just jokes, he's only having a laugh".

It's a societal issue, social media is just an easy access way to famous people now. These same people would be sending hate mail before the internet or throwing banana skins and making monkey noises in the relative safety of the crowd that won't call them out.

I agree its a societal issue but the problem (sic) with social media is that it affords people a level of anonymity and they feel they can say what ever they want without fear of recrimination. I remember boards used to have the mantra "if you wouldn't say it out loud in a pub then you shouldn't post it". We see how easy it is for people to make throwaway troll accounts on this site so one assumes that the same applies to twitter, Instagram etc. If people had to verify their identity before being allowed publicly comment on anything then alot of the bullshyt stops imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Some LFC fan created an account to send me a silly PM last night.

Imagine the amount of people who behave like that on their computers and can send messages directly to anyone "famous" on insta.

It will never stop but more people are turning off comments or only people who they follow can reply etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

RasTa wrote: »

Imagine the amount of people who behave like that on their computers and can send messages directly to anyone "famous" on insta.

It will never stop but more people are turning off comments or only people who they follow can reply etc.

Jaysus are they still at that craic?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

pjohnson wrote: »
    Jaysus are they still at that craic?

Mod: Boards has a report function on PMs, please use it instead of posting about PMs received here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Am I right in saying moderators can see if people have created multiple accounts on this because of visibility on thr IP address they were created from or something like that?

If so, you should report it & get both accounts banned from here.

No place for that type of carry on.

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    Mod: Boards has a report function on PMs, please use it instead of posting about PMs received here

It's a non issue, my point is if I'm getting silly PM's imagine the crap that these people send daily to football players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Corholio wrote: »
    A big problem in combatting racism is how much some football fans prioritise football's importance compared to actual important issues. Whenever there's a player that speaks out you always get a load of supporters responding along the lines of 'I know racism is bad and all but if you hadn't missed that 5 yard sitter we'd listen to you. Concentrate on your game' Looking at Rashfords replies today there's plenty of them.

You also get the fans of teams saying "Our fans did this but your fans did that last night/year/week/in the 80s" to deflect instead of taking ownership and saying we need to tackle this behavior.

It's the online version of allowing banana skins being thrown etc as someone mentioned earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well I think part of the problem is its only racism that people get called out on in the majority of times, you can abuse someone's family, them personally, everything about them and nobody gives a ****. If we treated all online abuse in a similar way to racist abuse then I think all of the abuse would drop dramatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I seen the comments under Rashford's Instagram last night, moreso the emojis of monkey/gorilla and decided to report the accounts I could find. Imagine not the only one.

Instagram notification this morning said - "We found this account doesn't go against our Community guidelines. If you think we made a mistake, please report it again."

It was clear as day what the account was portraying and yet doing fúck all about it.

Agree with posters above, surely there is a better way to have social media accounts set up. Perhaps identification, betting companies do it for accounts for obvious reasons so wouldn't be a massive thing to implement. Imagine it'd put some people off making accounts though affecting their revenue from ads. Horrible it's still happening from scumbags,

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well I think part of the problem is its only racism that people get called out on in the majority of times, you can abuse someone's family, them personally, everything about them and nobody gives a ****. If we treated all online abuse in a similar way to racist abuse then I think all of the abuse would drop dramatically.

Indeed.

I see even Anthony Martial's wife, Melanie Da Cruz was getting horrible messages sent to her.

Racial abuse, death threats, abuse aimed at Anto, etc...

All because himself & Manchester United are playing sh1te on a football pitch.

Wtf is wrong with people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Clubs aren't responsible for the actions of fans online, it's different with controlling fans within their stadiums and surrounds, there really isn't a whole lot they can do with online fans, other than condemning their actions, supporting the players in question and giving life bans from stadiums (which they may never have attended anyways). It's really a matter for the police to follow up. It could be any club really, so no point in trying to continue the point scoring here as it could be your own club next.

West Bromwich Albion has today contacted West Midlands Police to report a racist message sent to Romaine Sawyers on social media.

https://twitter.com/WBA/status/1355108497516605445?s=20

A 49 year old child sent that message too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

There needs to be a zero tolerance approach to troll accounts on this forum. People should report any PM's they get, report any troll accounts they come across. I don't know if mods can look at IP addresses now with GDPR? But if they can and they spot someone having an alt account in order to troll people, they should 100% have both accounts banned.

In my opinion, this should also relate to anyone who has historically taken part in this type of bull**** behaviour.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Clubs aren't responsible for the actions of fans online, it's different with controlling fans within their stadiums and surrounds, there really isn't a whole lot they can do with online fans, other than condemning their actions, supporting the players in question and giving life bans from stadiums (which they may never have attended anyways). It's really a matter for the police to follow up. It could be any club really, so no point in trying to continue the point scoring here as it could be your own club next.

Who is points scoring, Girly Gal?

We are discussing a relevant topic & using a club relevant to the topic on this given week as a current example.

As you said, it could be your own club next, this is true.

But just because it's Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal, Spurs, etc... doesn't mean people can't talk about it in here without being accused of points scoring.

West Brom have been mentioned above but I don't think there'll be any accusations made of points scoring there.

• Advertisement

• Girly Gal wrote: »
    That's a valid point, I do find however it helps you wade through the ****e online and flags to you the folks who actually care about race issues in society and those who simply want to get 1 up on the team that upsets them the most.

The folks point scoring via social media online are arguably as bad as the racists themselves.

I actually like the way Rashford handled the situation to note.
    He is not one to try and aggravate the situation and encourage the scumbags to do it even worse the next time.
    He could have easily taken screenshots ect.
    Always admire the level head on his shoulders in general.
    And handles social media in a very respectful way.

The Police and the social platforms are responsible to follow up and need to change up the laws on this.

A 49 year old child sent that message too.

Yup.

I don't get all this "it's only kids" nonsense.

I've seen far worse over the years from adults than I have kids.

Grown men with full-time jobs, wives & kids.

You'd think if one spends most of their time online abusing & trolling that they'd have nothing better to do or not much going on in their outside life but you'd be surprised.

Mod:Sadly abuse towards footballers is a recurring problem. This thread is to discuss matters related to the thread subject.

Please keep points about the thread title. A few posts above have already included references to points scoring or actions of a particular fan base that could, on an incidental basis, cause the points posters make to be missed. Please avoid such comments.

Posters are also reminded not to use abusive terms when contributing to the thread (even if it is well deserved towards those making the harmful comments towards players)

Greater Manchester Police:

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1355869282400411651?s=19

The use of the term crime is important here. If reporting of the abuse prominently carried the word crime more people might realise what they are doing is not just a few words typed on a device and sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Who is points scoring, Girly Gal?

We are discussing a relevant topic & using a club relevant to the topic on this given week as a current example.

As you said, it could be your own club next, this is true.

But just because it's Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal, Spurs, etc... doesn't mean people can't talk about it in here without being accused of points scoring.

West Brom have been mentioned above but I don't think there'll be any accusations made of points scoring there.

It's fairly obvious that some posters are using the opportunity to put the boot into United and somehow putting the blame onto the club, I say this as a Liverpool fan, so have no interest in defending United. My point is that every club has a few brain dead fans who abuse players, which the clubs can't do an awful lot about.

Of course people should talk about it, it's part of the solution to ridding society of this issue and it is a society issue not a footballing issue alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Regulation would need to be implemented to get social media companies to verify all their users. From their perspective they want as many customers as possible and mandatory verification would reduce the amount of active users. On top of this they'd need to invest into a ton of resources to help service this level of verification.

Then you have people already paranoid about privacy with social media companies so a lot of complaints there if they needed to hand over documents.

It would definitely help cut out a lot of the racism but unfortunately the companies don't have a financial incentive to do so yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Yep. Social media companies could fix this tomorrow if they wanted to. But they dont. So it wont go away unfortunately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Abuse in all its forms is so prevalent online that it is a monumental challenge - in addition to the challenge still seen around grounds and at games.

It is such a norm that some actually don't think there's anything wrong with it as well as those who know exactly what they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I know this is probably pie in the sky stuff but if social media made their users verify their identity people would be a lot more careful how they conduct themselves online. It seems there are a lot of absolutely horrible antisocial people among us that only act social in real life because there's consequences to their behaviour. Give them anonymity online and their mask comes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Education is key also. Kids at school need to be taking online conduct classes. This stuff is far more important than a lot of the irrelevant, impractical stuff they're learning now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Facebook & Twitter etc need to be destroyed in the courts financially for there lack of action and until that happens they won't care and nothing will be done.

Facebook & Twitter etc have created an open sharing of hate throughout the world and their algorithms are brain washing people into hate bringing these people into caldrons of hate and bigotry where they fall deeper and deeper into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Facebook & Twitter etc need to be destroyed in the courts financially for there lack of action and until that happens they won't care and nothing will be done.

Facebook & Twitter etc have created an open sharing of hate throughout the world and their algorithms are brain washing people in to hate bring these people into caldrons of hate and bigotry.

I would recommend anyone interested in this topic to watch a documentary called "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix.

Superb show.

We are being brainwashed on a global level, make absolutely no mistake.

Track the person down and punish them. Too many internet tough guys out there.

Name, shame and charge them. Yes, it'll probably follow them around for a long time, and affect job opportunities etc, but you reap what you sow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I remember Ian Wright shared screenshots of abuse he got a few months ago from some young lad who turned out to be from Tralee. Within minutes he was found, his school, part time job, sports clubs he played for, one girl even found his Mom. And when she heard about it, she brought him down to the Garda station in Tralee.

I don't have a problem with anyone who receives abuse sharing screenshots and the people found. Absolutely vile, sub human scum.

If you choose to be a racist, you should deal with the eventual shìt storm that comes your way.

One solution might be having people verify their proper identity to log in, but this will stop a huge amount of people using the platforms, thus the platform loses billions in ad revenue. These corporations are in some ways more powerful than government so if a government takes this approach they will be lobbied/threatened. "If we lose money so will yous"

It's going to be very interesting to see how this will play out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Facebook & Twitter etc have created an open sharing of hate throughout the world and their algorithms are brain washing people into hate bringing these people into caldrons of hate and bigotry where they fall deeper and deeper into it.

The idea of the internet though is there will always be something to replace them.

You see with the recent events in the US and the 'crackdown', people moved from one site to another which was supposed to be the end, but hosted in another more facilitating country with easier regulation.

It's going to take a generation to get away from the "we shouldn't be the arbiters of acceptable" that has poisoned social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

niallo27 wrote: »

There's loads of instances over the years of white players getting abuse and a lot being made of it.

Beckham had effigies of him burnt after the 98 World Cup. It was all over the papers that summer. He regularly got abuse about victoria from the stands too. It was discussed a lot at the time and was in the media loads of times.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I remember Ian Wright shared screenshots of abuse he got a few months ago from some young lad who turned out to be from Tralee. Within minutes he was found, his school, part time job, sports clubs he played for, one girl even found his Mom. And when she heard about it, she brought him down to the Garda station in Tralee.

I don't have a problem with anyone who receives abuse sharing screenshots and the people found. Absolutely vile, sub human scum.

If you choose to be a racist, you should deal with the eventual shìt storm that comes your way.

Absolutely. Wright handled the situation brilliantly.

That lads sentencing hearing is this week.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious that some posters are using the opportunity to put the boot into United and somehow putting the blame onto the club, I say this as a Liverpool fan, so have no interest in defending United. My point is that every club has a few brain dead fans who abuse players, which the clubs can't do an awful lot about.

Of course people should talk about it, it's part of the solution to ridding society of this issue and it is a society issue not a footballing issue alone.

100% and fair play for calling it as it is. The fact is that United players were racially targeted for the last two weeks and because results hadn't been great on field the assumption is that its disgruntled fans making the comments. It could well be, or it could be rival fans attempting to shine a negative light on United's fans, or it could be bona fide white supremacists or it could be some 16 year old kid thinking he is funny. All that the hand wringing and finger pointing does is dilute any rational discussions and draw attention away from what is a massive, massive issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's loads of instances over the years of white players getting abuse and a lot being made of it.

Beckham had effigies of him burnt after the 98 World Cup. It was all over the papers that summer. He regularly got abuse about victoria from the stands too. It was discussed a lot at the time and was in the media loads of times.
    It is something that goes on all the time but race offers the abuser "fans" an extra weapon. These are angry people who confuse passion for the game with childish abuse.

• Advertisement

• Edz87 wrote: »
    One solution might be having people verify their proper identity to log in, but this will stop a huge amount of people using the platforms, thus the platform loses billions in ad revenue. These corporations are in some ways more powerful than government so if a government takes this approach they will be lobbied/threatened. "If we lose money so will yous"

Unfortunately the likes of Google/ Facebook have an Iron grip on governments

The idea is sound, unfortunately revenue is more important to the likes the CEOs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Edz87 wrote: »

Giving some of those companies more information on you is not really the way to go imo.

I'd argue there's also a difference between abuse and racist abuse. You can say someone calling a player sh1t is abuse or that the player is lazy. People should be able to say those things imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Unless you've gone specifically and forensically out of your way to not allow companies have your information, then they already have it. It's the laws on the use of it that are currently weak. The companies won't do it but verified and non anonymous accounts is what should happen. To those saying it'll move somewhere else, it will but the chances of it being direct contact to the victims of it is much less when some underground website starts up instead rather than it being on somewhere like Twitter. There's lots of these places there already, and ideally they'd be swept away like the garbage they are, but they mostly are circle jerks amongst themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Corholio wrote: »
    Unless you've gone specifically and forensically out of your way to not allow companies have your information, then they already have it. It's the laws on the use of it that are currently weak. The companies won't do it but verified and non anonymous accounts is what should happen. To those saying it'll move somewhere else, it will but the chances of it being direct contact to the victims of it is much less when some underground website starts up instead rather than it being on somewhere like Twitter. There's lots of these places there already, and ideally they'd be swept away like the garbage they are, but they mostly are circle jerks amongst themselves.

Depends on what they ask for. A pps number or passport photo would be best way to validate identity and I'd give neither to Facebook myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The folks point scoring via social media online are arguably as bad as the racists themselves.
    You surely must not actually believe this particular statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The racism simply moved from the stadiums to social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

To me the problem is racism is a small part of the issue that gets magnified out of proportion. There is an abuse issue in football and racism, homophobia, religious intelorance are all part of it- the clubs, media, fans, palyers all know its there but nobody wants to do anything about it because of "the passon of the game".
    The abuse referees get in a game is disgusting, from fans and players, clubs push the "you are the 12th man" narriative to fans to get them more involved to help win frees and penalties so abusing refs and other players is fine.

If you think back to the Anton Ferdinance/ John Terry issue which is probably the most high profile racism issue I can remember the issue was Terry call him a f*cking black c*nt, if Terry just called him a f*cking c*unt there would have been no problem. Look at the abuse McClean gets year in year out with no comment.

Clubs like to throw out the we stand against racism schtick but if their team win by intimidating the referee into giving them a penalty its a good days work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm watching a stream at the moment and at least half the messages in the chat are the most vile racism you could possibly imagine, absolutely shameful. This is what they're up against, the internet really is a cesspit these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The 18 year old man in Kerry got off very lightly with a €500 fine.

That doesn't not send a message to any of the others who like abuse online a €500 fine is nothing.

Ian Wright not very happy about that and I don't blame him.
    "My forgiveness of this young man was for my own deeply personal need and desire to move forward without further anguish.

"I'm a 57-year-old man that has experienced racism throughout my life. I wasn't expecting my forgiveness to be an invitation to lighten a sentence.

"Seeing this judgment, I can only wonder what deterrent there is for anyone else who spouts this kind of vile racist abuse.

"An individual wished death upon me because of my skin colour. No judge's claims of "naivety" or "immaturity" will ever be acceptable to us.

"The supposed immaturity and naivety of our attackers is never any comfort. So yeah I am disappointed. I'm tired. We are all tired."

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0203/1194820-ian-wright/

• Advertisement
Advertisement