Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abuse towards footballers online

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This ‘came from a good family’ bullsh*t infuriates me more than anything.

Surely coming from a good background makes it WORSE when you do something terrible rather than someone who had way less opportunity to make something productive of themselves instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Steve Bruce the latest to get death threats on social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

The only way to really stop it is for the for the social media platforms to crack down on it in a way that stops people being able to just create a new account every time they get banned but then people will be up in arms about freedom of speech and trying to debate what counts as unacceptable. I personally think that it has gotten to a stage where they need to take ID for it social media like betting sites have to and permanently ban people who are doing this.

The platforms won't do anything about it because they don't care so long as people are using them so maybe if the whole of football, maybe even the most followed people in every industry, just stop using it then the platforms will see enough of a drop off that they will have to do something. The problem with that is it requires the famous people to stop using it for a while and they won't do that because that could cost them money, at the end of the day they are mostly used as advertising tools(and for data harvesting but that's a whole other thing).

dor83 wrote: »
    The only way to really stop it is for the for the social media platforms to crack down on it in a way that stops people being able to just create a new account every time they get banned but then people will be up in arms about freedom of speech and trying to debate what counts as unacceptable. I personally think that it has gotten to a stage where they need to take ID for it social media like betting sites have to and permanently ban people who are doing this.

The platforms won't do anything about it because they don't care so long as people are using them so maybe if the whole of football, maybe even the most followed people in every industry, just stop using it then the platforms will see enough of a drop off that they will have to do something. The problem with that is it requires the famous people to stop using it for a while and they won't do that because that could cost them money, at the end of the day they are mostly used as advertising tools(and for data harvesting but that's a whole other thing).

They literally identified a guy for viciously racially abusing Ian Wright, and declined to convict. I really don’t think an inability to identify the culprits is the key issue here.

CSF wrote: »
    They literally identified a guy for viciously racially abusing Ian Wright, and declined to convict. I really don’t think an inability to identify the culprits is the key issue here.

That's because wright pushed it legally, that is one case in what is probably millions and the vast majority will get at most an account ban and just create another. The point I made about ID was so they could get permanently banned from the platforms and not be able to do it again, it's much easier for say Facebook to ban someone than it is to go through the legal process like Wright did and then effectively nothing is done about it anyway.

That's because wright pushed it legally, that is one case in what is probably millions and the vast majority will get at most an account ban and just create another. The point I made about ID was so they could get permanently banned from the platforms and not be able to do it again, it's much easier for say Facebook to ban someone than it is to go through the legal process like Wright did and then effectively nothing is done about it anyway.

The point was that if the legal system does not even consider this a crime worth convicting we are p*ssing into the wind.

Giving companies who have long been proven to be unreliable with our personal data and best interests, more information on us makes zero sense when the reality is that society as it’s currently constructed, does not take this seriously in the first place.

As long as society decides that this is an ok thing to get away with if you’re from a nice family, people will just find new ways to get around abusing people.

The point was that if the legal system does not even consider this a crime worth convicting we are p*ssing into the wind.

Giving companies who have long been proven to be unreliable with our personal data and best interests, more information on us makes zero sense when the reality is that society as it’s currently constructed, does not take this seriously in the first place.

As long as society decides that this is an ok thing to get away with if you’re from a nice family, people will just find new ways to get around abusing people.

Something has to be done about it, we don't see people in real life saying the kind of thing that these people say so I wouldn't agree that society says it's ok.

I think that in the Wright case the judge was just not the right person for this kind of case, you'll have that on any type of case where the judge just decides himself that the offence "wasn't that bad sure" or "he's only a young lad" but that's a whole other problem with the legal system imo.

While I agree that the companies who run social media can't be trusted with our personal data, something needs to be done about it and that's the easiest way I can see for at least cutting down how much abuse is thrown around on them. If you just let it happen it will only get worse and become more acceptable in society. At the end of the day if you don't want them having your personal data then don't use them, but the majority don't care about that.

Something has to be done about it, we don't see people in real life saying the kind of thing that these people say so I wouldn't agree that society says it's ok.

I think that in the Wright case the judge was just not the right person for this kind of case, you'll have that on any type of case where the judge just decides himself that the offence "wasn't that bad sure" or "he's only a young lad" but that's a whole other problem with the legal system imo.

While I agree that the companies who run social media can't be trusted with our personal data, something needs to be done about it and that's the easiest way I can see for at least cutting down how much abuse is thrown around on them. If you just let it happen it will only get worse and become more acceptable in society. At the end of the day if you don't want them having your personal data then don't use them, but the majority don't care about that.

It has to be a criminal thing. Things need to be changed so that people can’t racially abuse (and other forms of abuse, racial just happens to be the one we’re talking about here) people online without consequences.

It would worry me that people would think that this is too big a change to implement, but think that every thought/opinion expressed online being traceable to a named individual is an easier solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I've seen plenty of talk about punishing people for their comments (rightly so) and for more to be done by social media but there doesn't seem to be much discussion about why this is happening and how to prevent it from happening in the first place.

It reminds me of the 'thoughts and prayers' phenomenon with shootings in America; everybody will express their disgust and say that more needs to be done but there is rarely a conversation about the reasons why these things happen as it will uncover an ugly side that people like to think doesn't exist.

• Advertisement

It has to be a criminal thing. Things need to be changed so that people can’t racially abuse (and other forms of abuse, racial just happens to be the one we’re talking about here) people online without consequences.

It would worry me that people would think that this is too big a change to implement, but think that every thought/opinion expressed online being traceable to a named individual is an easier solution.

I agree with you that things need to change and I agree with what you are saying but I do think that identifying and banning people who do it is the first step, it will make it easier to bring criminal charges against them and also act as a deterrent to others who might do it.

I thought it already was a criminal offence here and the judge chose to let him off with a fine in the case Wright brought. The problem then becomes the whole legal system in itself and that isn't just about online abuse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/08/english-football-is-consumed-by-racism-and-hatred-can-the-cycle-be-broken

Interesting from Jonathan Liew.

Some quotes. Worth a read about the topic but centred around English football.
    Four decades ago, before his England debut, Cyrille Regis was sent a bullet in the post by a racist fan. In 2008, shortly after being appointed as Chelsea’s manager, Avram Grant was deluged with dozens of antisemitic emails. These days, as footballers continue to be subjected to racist abuse on Twitter and Instagram, the temptation is to wonder whether anything has changed except the method of delivery.
    The recent wave of social media abuse – directed primarily at prominent black footballers – follows a well-worn pattern. The incidents begin to cluster with a grisly momentum: Marcus Rashford, Axel Tuanzebe on two separate occasions, Anthony Martial, Reece James, Romaine Sawyers, Alex Jankewitz and Lauren James. Statements are issued. Governing bodies, broadcasters and public figures clamber over each other to offer their condemnation, often by way of a fancy social media graphic. And then, like any wave, the anger subsides. The news cycle gets bored. Racism carries on, and so does everyone else. Until the next wave, at least.

As Rashford put it last week: “Only time will tell if the situation improves. But it’s not improved over the last few years.”
    It’s in the increasing rancour and tetchiness of online discourse. It’s the climate in which virtually any act can be infinitely parsed and debated along pre-existing lines of difference. It’s the subtle difference between a newspaper reporting the news and a newspaper social media account baiting its followers with wild, tendentious headlines. It’s the difference between singing about Arsène Wenger getting sacked and Ed Woodward dying. And whether you like it or not, we’re all tangled up in it.
    Last season, 287 of the 2,663 football fixtures played in England and Wales – more than 10% – featured at least one incident of hate crime, according to the Home Office. Arrests for racist or indecent chanting rose by 150%, even though fans stopped attending matches in March. And yet to focus on a few headline figures is to ignore the broader trend: a slow and gradual raising of the temperature, a hardening of minds and a coarsening of conversation. What used to be considered beyond the pale is no longer, because we have lost any ability to decide collectively what the pale even is.

To a large extent, the problem is one of data and intelligence. We may think we have an idea in our head of who the archetypal racist fan might be. But we still don’t know for sure, even though the technology to profile and proactively target problem users has long existed in other sectors. “We don’t have a taxonomy of offenders,” says Sanjay Bhandari, the chair of Kick it Out. “We’re aware that there are kids doing this because they’re bored. There are people who don’t know better. People who have extremist views, people who want to put off opponents, people from outside the UK who think they’re not going to be caught. For all we know, some of it might be automated bots. What we don’t know is the volume of each category.”

I agree with you that things need to change and I agree with what you are saying but I do think that identifying and banning people who do it is the first step, it will make it easier to bring criminal charges against them and also act as a deterrent to others who might do it.

I thought it already was a criminal offence here and the judge chose to let him off with a fine in the case Wright brought. The problem then becomes the whole legal system in itself and that isn't just about online abuse.
    Well I think the legal system is what needs to be looked at in this regard. The pros are more pronounced and the cons are less pronounced.

What I mean by that is, merely being banned from a social media site is not a sufficient punishment to fit the offence being discussed here.

And I also believe that removing any possibility of anonymity online is too big price to pay for such an insufficient solution. That facility of anonymity wouldn't just be taken away from people who abuse people online. It would be taken away from everyone, regardless of what part of the world they come from, and what they might have to discuss.

I can't help but feel like there are much bigger beneficiaries than black footballers throughout the world from every post/opinion being traceable to the individual who posted it. That isn't exactly what we talk about when people discuss the situation in China, but it isn't that far down the road from it either.

Well I think the legal system is what needs to be looked at in this regard. The pros are more pronounced and the cons are less pronounced.

What I mean by that is, merely being banned from a social media site is not a sufficient punishment to fit the offence being discussed here.

And I also believe that removing any possibility of anonymity online is too big price to pay for such an insufficient solution. That facility of anonymity wouldn't just be taken away from people who abuse people online. It would be taken away from everyone, regardless of what part of the world they come from, and what they might have to discuss.

I can't help but feel like there are much bigger beneficiaries than black footballers throughout the world from every post/opinion being traceable to the individual who posted it. That isn't exactly what we talk about when people discuss the situation in China, but it isn't that far down the road from it either.

I get what you are saying but I think that I see it as acceptable because I already see social media as being a way of data harvesting with a bit of marketing thrown in so don't see any benefit they offer that is worth that. I do agree that banning isn't a big enough punishment but it would prevent them from doing it to other people.

In case it's not clear, I don't use social media and think anyone who values their personal data shouldn't so them having more info on people who chose to give it to them is not a problem imo. If people are ok with these companies using their data then it's their choice, having their ID isn't actually that much more than the info they currently have on most users anyway.

Edit: Just to point out, I'm not just saying this because of racism against footballers, there is so much more abuse and bullying that we never see which could be stopped by having ID for users.

I get what you are saying but I think that I see it as acceptable because I already see social media as being a way of data harvesting with a bit of marketing thrown in so don't see any benefit they offer that is worth that. I do agree that banning isn't a big enough punishment but it would prevent them from doing it to other people.

In case it's not clear, I don't use social media and think anyone who values their personal data shouldn't so them having more info on people who chose to give it to them is not a problem imo. If people are ok with these companies using their data then it's their choice, having their ID isn't actually that much more than the info they currently have on most users anyway.

Edit: Just to point out, I'm not just saying this because of racism against footballers, there is so much more abuse and bullying that we never see which could be stopped by having ID for users.

When I’m talking about a need for anonymity, I’m not talking about people like myself or yourself chatting about Salah vs Bruno.

There are people in certain parts of the world or working for certain companies who might run into very real trouble for telling certain truths.

When I’m talking about a need for anonymity, I’m not talking about people like myself or yourself chatting about Salah vs Bruno.

There are people in certain parts of the world or working for certain companies who might run into very real trouble for telling certain truths.

I get that but is social media really a good place to do that? I know that if I was in a situation like that I wouldn't be trusting those companies as it is, it's already well known that some of them have a record of selling user information. If someone really wanted to find out who I am from here they probably could if they knew what they were doing and this site takes no important information.

There are also many ways that these companies could police these sorts of things but they simply don't want to, imo something needs to be done to force them to take action. I do also think the legal system needs to clamp down on identified offenders but that's a whole other problem in itself and not limited to online abuse.

• Advertisement

I get that but is social media really a good place to do that? I know that if I was in a situation like that I wouldn't be trusting those companies as it is, it's already well known that some of them have a record of selling user information. If someone really wanted to find out who I am from here they probably could if they knew what they were doing and this site takes no important information.

There are also many ways that these companies could police these sorts of things but they simply don't want to, imo something needs to be done to force them to take action. I do also think the legal system needs to clamp down on identified offenders but that's a whole other problem in itself and not limited to online abuse.
    Social media is a way of making large numbers of people aware of what is going on. Can think of quite a number of things in history where it probably would have been somewhat beneficial (not saying it always makes the difference either) for people to have been made aware what was going on.

In terms of footballers/celebrities and how to combat the abuse, I think a happy medium would be to make verified profiles an option for everyone, in the manner you'd previously referred to. And then for celebrities (or anyone who wishes to do so) to be able to adjust their settings so that they can only receive tweets, comments and messages from people who've submitted their identity.

Anonymity shouldn't be taken away online, but people should also have the right for anonymous accounts not to be able to interact with them. People like myself who wouldn't be inclined to give my personal details to corporations with ropey track records, would just have to avoid Tweeting celebrities, something I think I can just about live with :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Brentford have issued a statement saying they won't be taking the knee anymore (unsure where exactly to put this, kind of fits in within the subject matter)

https://twitter.com/BrentfordFC/status/1360671476572160003?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya it's good to see a club not tow the company line and show it's lost its impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

No problem with Brentford doing that. If the PL really wanted to stop this and take action then they should refuse to let twitter, Instagram et al show their content until they take proper steps against the accounts in question.

Clubs themselves can not use their accounts too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya it's good to see a club not tow the company line and show it's lost its impact.

What company? It was the players themselves that started it, and the leagues had to fall in line.

I’m also not sure that it did lose its impact.. I think the impact has changed over time from a bigger powerful gesture, to a small but consistent reminder. A drip feed of an important message.

Let’s be honest, a decent number of those that have more problematic racist tendencies are also football fans, so I think it’s no harm that they saw this little mark of unity week in week out by their idols.

It’s 5 seconds. 5. And since football is the most diverse and inclusive sport on the planet, I’d have liked that small quick simple gesture to become part of the fabric of the football ritual on an even bigger scale to be honest.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    What company? It was the players themselves that started it, and the leagues had to fall in line.

I’m also not sure that it did lose its impact.. I think the impact has changed over time from a bigger powerful gesture, to a small but consistent reminder. A drip feed of an important message.

Let’s be honest, a decent number of those that have more problematic racist tendencies are also football fans, so I think it’s no harm that they saw this little mark of unity week in week out by their idols.

It’s 5 seconds. 5. And since football is the most diverse and inclusive sport on the planet, I’d have liked that small quick simple gesture to become part of the fabric of the football ritual on an even bigger scale to be honest.

It's just become part of the kick off routine it's lost it's impact. Taking the knee isn't going to stop racist online abuse like what players are experiencing. It's an empty gesture at this stage IMO

Players want to do something? Go after the social media companies as a whole, they have the money and following to really hurt them. Educating people will turn the tide in the long term but right now these platforms need to be held accountable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

rob316 wrote: »
    It's just become part of the kick off routine it's lost it's impact. Taking the knee isn't going to stop racist online abuse like what players are experiencing. It's an empty gesture at this stage IMO

Players want to do something? Go after the social media companies as a whole, they have the money and following to really hurt them. Educating people will turn the tide in the long term but right now these platforms need to be held accountable.

It’s obviously not the only thing that should be done, but it undeniably kept the message in the public consciousness to a degree, with absolute minimal effort or exertion to anybody.

And it’s not there to stop racist abuse online at players, that’s not its job or intention, and never was. It’s so much broader and simpler than that - purely a simple and regular reminder of something that shouldn’t need reminding, but obviously does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

• It's pathetic at this stage.

Nothing can be done unless they change social media laws. Start making twitter, instagram ect have more requirements for account creation.

Soccer players need to take it into their own hands too and turn off comments on their socials anyway.

Just asking for it to happen by these shower hiding behind a keyboard.

The players can start making private accounts if you want to talk to your m8s.

It's pathetic at this stage.

Nothing can be done unless they change social media laws. Start making twitter, instagram ect have more requirements for account creation.

Soccer players need to take it into their own hands too and turn off comments on their socials anyway.

@ racist abuse at the player.

The players can come together and tackle the social media companies, wether they would is another story considering the money many make from it. If the will is there they have the influence across the world. They could do something like suspend all there accounts for a period of time.

You shouldn't be able to open one of these accounts unless you have a passport verified IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's pathetic at this stage.

Again. Racism isnt a social media problem. These people are not racist because of social media. Social media just gives them an easy route to be racist.

Its a societal issue.

It's too easy to just put the blame on social media and absolve society from the reasons its happening. Bananas regularly being thrown on to pitches in the 80's and monkey chants show that it has never been properly clamped down on , even when it happens in person. If someone can stand in a crowd of their fellow fans and throw bananas and make monkey chants at black players, they and the people around them, are clearly ok with it. This is the type of people youre dealing with . Big groups that are at best ok with their mates being racist. These are the same people being racist online to players of their own bloody clubs.

• Again. Racism isnt a social media problem. These people are not racist because of social media. Social media just gives them an easy route to be racist.

Its a societal issue.

It's too easy to just put the blame on social media and absolve society from the reasons its happening. Bananas regularly being thrown on to pitches in the 80's and monkey chants show that it has never been properly clamped down on , even when it happens in person. If someone can stand in a crowd of their fellow fans and throw bananas and make monkey chants at black players, they and the people around them, are clearly ok with it. This is the type of people youre dealing with . Big groups that are at best ok with their mates being racist. These are the same people being racist online to players of their own bloody clubs.

I never said it was a social media problem. I agree it is a societal issue.

But social media is the number one avennue for this racist behaviour in the current way we consume football.

That is not anyone absolving society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Zaha said he won't be taking the knee anymore.

Aston Villa report ‘sickening’ racist abuse of Ireland U19 international to police
    ASTON VILLA HAVE reported “sickening and abhorrent” online racist abuse of Ireland U19 international Tyreik Wright to West Midlands Police.

The Premier League club said the messages received on Wright’s Instagram account had also been flagged to the social media platform.

A club statement read: “Aston Villa Football Club is appalled by the racist abuse of one our academy players, Tyreik Wright.

“Tyreik, who is currently on loan at Walsall, received sickening and abhorrent messages via his Instagram account, messages which the club have reported to both the social media platform and West Midlands Police.

“The club is liaising with WMP’s Hate Crime Unit who are now investigating this incident.

“Aston Villa will work alongside Walsall FC to provide Tyreik with any support he requires and will continue to do everything we can to report and help root out all forms of discrimination.”

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-tyreik-wright-racist-abuse-police-report-aston-villa-5363903-Feb2021/

• Advertisement

So Thierry Henry has removed his social media accounts in protest until the platforms are properly regulated. Talks with in arsenal about the players doing the same.

Now that's the action that is needed for all clubs and players to take not this ritual taking the knee.

I can't see it happening, players love social media too much and the money it brings in. If they are serious about tackling this and not just sound bytes this is what has to be done.

West Brom have reported to the police the racial abuse Callum Robinson got today after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The more people like Sky etc report on it the more it'll happen.

These are trolls more than people who dislike players for the colour of their skin.

And I think players going on social media denouncing racism are wasting their time. You can only stop it with education as a child.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    The more people like Sky etc report on it the more it'll happen.

These are trolls more than people who dislike players for the colour of their skin.

And I think players going on social media denouncing racism are wasting their time. You can only stop it with education as a child.

You could also illegalise it in the same way itd be illegal for me to start roaring racial abuse at someone in the street.

And yet, my suspicion is that neither would be sentenced appropriately. Pinning this on the social media companies alone makes no sense to me and it seems to be the only way the conversation is directed.

You could also illegalise it in the same way itd be illegal for me to start roaring racial abuse at someone in the street.

And yet, my suspicion is that neither would be sentenced appropriately. Pinning this on the social media companies alone makes no sense to me and it seems to be the only way the conversation is directed.

It is illegal the same way roaring at someone in the street would be.

It is illegal the same way roaring at someone in the street would be.

Racial abuse is a little bit different to merely roaring at someone.

Either way, it’s crazy to place all the responsibility with this on the social media companies. We honestly believe that racial abuse shouldn’t be a criminal offence worth properly prosecuting?

Racial abuse is a little bit different to merely roaring at someone.

Either way, it’s crazy to place all the responsibility with this on the social media companies. We honestly believe that racial abuse shouldn’t be a criminal offence worth properly prosecuting?

I mean shouting racist abuse at someone.

It is a criminal offence.

I mean shouting racist abuse at someone.

It is a criminal offence.

I know, but do you see it as something that would be properly prosecuted?

We had the Ian Wright case recently. Guy was caught, up in front of the courts, all the good family stuff came about, and no proper sentence. And yet the conversation continues about the social media companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I know, but do you see it as something that would be properly prosecuted?

We had the Ian Wright case recently. Guy was caught, up in front of the courts, all the good family stuff came about, and no proper sentence. And yet the conversation continues about the social media companies.

You're getting more into criminal law there. Half the sh1t that's worse than racial abuse isn't properly prosecuted

• Advertisement

You're getting more into criminal law there. Half the sh1t that's worse than racial abuse isn't properly prosecuted

Yeah, that’s grand and all. But why the big crusade that’s going on against social media companies, if we as a society don’t even take it that seriously?

It’s posturing right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Yeah, that’s grand and all. But why the big crusade that’s going on against social media companies, if we as a society don’t even take it that seriously?

It’s posturing right?

No dsiagreement here at all tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I'm out of sympathy for these footballers. One solutions stops this very quickly.

Change your privacy settings on Instagram that only people you follow can comment message and interact with you. That stops it all very quickly. Stops given them a platform and they will get bored and move on

but1er wrote: »
    I'm out of sympathy for these footballers. One solutions stops this very quickly.

Change your privacy settings on Instagram that only people you follow can comment message and interact with you. That stops it all very quickly. Stops given them a platform and they will get bored and move on

Yeah, I do wonder why a lot of them don't do that. You can still keep sponsors happy and post photos, but only your friends can comment.

I know if I was a footballer I'd either do that or not have one at all.

In an ideal world the idiots posting nonsense would be tracked and stopped. That's not going to happen though. It will cost Twitter money, and they are a private company. Bottom line and profits for shareholders are key.

6 wrote: »
    Yeah, I do wonder why a lot of them don't do that. You can still keep sponsors happy and post photos, but only your friends can comment.

I know if I was a footballer I'd either do that or not have one at all.

In an ideal world the idiots posting nonsense would be tracked and stopped. That's not going to happen though. It will cost Twitter money, and they are a private company. Bottom line and profits for shareholders are key.

Yep so simple and they all go away.

All PL captains in a what's app group wonder has a Instagram and twitter strike been disgust?

They won't make as much money then.

• Advertisement

They won't make as much money then.

Why? People can still like there pictures and share them. The only people that can comment is people they follow

Why? People can still like there pictures and share them. The only people that can comment is people they follow

Comments etc. all count towards "interactions".

This is what's used when negotiating with sponsors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

SSN reporting that Keita and TAA were sent monkey emojis on IG after last night's game. What the hell is wrong with people? Yes, they had poor games. It happens. It doesn't give "fans" the right to make idiotic remarks about them. Hope the culprits are caught, but what will happen to them? Their accounts will be suspended, and they'll just open a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

It’s posturing right?

Because they could stop it fairly quickly

They shouldnt have to.

event wrote: »
    Because they could stop it fairly quickly.

How do they do that without making every comment about every topic on social media traceable?

That’s not a small thing. Things like workplace rights abuses, whistleblowing, people living in parts of the world who are subject to oppression. None of that would be able to be spoken about, without fear of being identified by the very people being spoken about.

That’s a very big price to pay, simply to avoid society having to treat hate crimes like an actual legitimate crime worth punishing

• Advertisement
Advertisement