Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budgie - Parakeet: Where to buy?

• 31-01-2021 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Wondering if anyone can recommend a source to purchase an example of above birds?
    My wife has been considering. getting a pet bird and as there's a birthday coming up I thought I'd go ahead and surprise her.

Locally (Sligo) we have Petstop / Petworld type places, but I'm wondering what people think of the quality/condition of birds sourced from such places?
    My wife has experience with family Budgies but I know nowt about them.

I think that Budgie / Parakeet's tend to be recommended as beginner birds, is that so?
    Any other suggestions??

Birds better with company, should I consider a companion bird??

Lastly, cage size and type??
    If time allows I'll likely make it myself so any guidance would be great.

Thanks all, much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

It is not a great time to try & source a Budgie because of the 5km rule.

You need to get a very young Budgie just out of the nest or a hand reared baby. Otherwise you will find it very difficult to tame it. Bear in mind Budgies are noisy & messy but otherwise they make great pets.

Cage wise, you need as large a cage as possible, none of those little round ones or tiny cages. A good place to start is the Vision Large cage available on Zooplus. Change all the perches to natural branches. These are available also on Zooplus or any decent petshop.

Food wise they need far more than standard Budgie seed. They need plenty of small amounts of fresh fruit & veg, a Cuttlebone also.

Male Budgies are more likely to talk & won't have egg laying issues. Many people are unable to sex young Budgies. It is not as simple as a blue or brown cere ( nostrils) as young females can also have a light blue cere when immature. The clue is that around the nostril holes in females will have white discolouration.

Budgies are very social but if you get two at the same time, it will be much harder to tame them. You are better off getting one & working with him/her to tame them before adding the second.

Other birds you could consider are The Cockatiel or the Parrotlet.
    Cockatiels are quite dusty so not suitable if any allergies in the house. They are very sweet if hand tame. Parrotlets are like the Terriers of the Bird World, smaller than the other two but with a lot more personality.

Advertisement