Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Smoky Ennis which is supposed to be smokeless.

Options
  • 31-01-2021 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Ennis is supposed to be smokeless. Its very smoky today.I suppose smoky coal and other smoky materials are being sold and burnt. What is the Environment Section of the Council doing?

What can we do to stop the sale of smoky coal in Ennis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Its not just smokey fuels that are sold but a lot of the contents of the green bins get burned as well, giving rise to serious pollution issues

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Gombeennation

It seems many places in Ennis sell smoky fuel. I thought this is against the law but the Council dont seem to be enforcing this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's not illegal to sell it, only to burn it in Ennis, anywhere outside of Ennis is fine to burn. The problem isn't coal though, the problem is people burning rubbish.

No its illegal to sell or distribute smoky coal in Ennis and can be fined up to 5000 euro for this. This is not enforced though by the Council. Smoky fuel are being sold in Ennis still and the Council isn't acting.

Its very wrong for asthmatics that the Council arent doing their jobs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

No its illegal to sell or distribute smoky coal in Ennis and can be fined up to 5000 euro for this. This is not enforced though by the Council. Smoky fuel are being sold in Ennis still and the Council isn't acting.

Its very wrong for asthmatics that the Council arent doing their jobs.

So people from Lissycasey can't go to Dan McInerys and buy a bag of smokey coal? Are you sure about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭lucalux

Clareman wrote: »
    So people from Lissycasey can't go to Dan McInerys and buy a bag of smokey coal? Are you sure about that

Just spotted this thread on latest posts, and was interested to know about this too, so looked it up there

https://www.clarecoco.ie/services/environment/pollution/air-pollution/smoky-coal-ban-regulations/

From Clare CoCo:

"Advice for Retailers and Distributors

If you sell bituminous ('smoky') coal in a Low Smoke Zone, you are committing an offence and could be fined up to €5,000 upon conviction in court. You are also contributing to the creation of an environmental and health hazard in your town, family, neighbours and community.
    If you have bags of bituminous ('smoky') coal on display or signs advertising this coal in a Low Smoke Zone, you are committing an offence and could be fined up to €5,000 upon conviction in court.
    If you distribute bags of bituminous ('smoky') coal in a Low Smoke Zone, you are committing an offence and could be fined up to €5,000 upon conviction in court.
    If you do any of the above, Clare County Council can issue you with an on the spot fixed payment notice (FPN) of up to €1,000.
    If you fail to pay the FPN, you may end up in court."

lucalux wrote: »
    Just spotted this thread on latest posts, and was interested to know about this too, so looked it up there

https://www.clarecoco.ie/services/environment/pollution/air-pollution/smoky-coal-ban-regulations/

From Clare CoCo:

"Advice for Retailers and Distributors

If you sell bituminous ('smoky') coal in a Low Smoke Zone, you are committing an offence and could be fined up to €5,000 upon conviction in court. You are also contributing to the creation of an environmental and health hazard in your town, family, neighbours and community.
    If you have bags of bituminous ('smoky') coal on display or signs advertising this coal in a Low Smoke Zone, you are committing an offence and could be fined up to €5,000 upon conviction in court.
    If you distribute bags of bituminous ('smoky') coal in a Low Smoke Zone, you are committing an offence and could be fined up to €5,000 upon conviction in court.
    If you do any of the above, Clare County Council can issue you with an on the spot fixed payment notice (FPN) of up to €1,000.
    If you fail to pay the FPN, you may end up in court."

I didn't know that, thanks for sharing

What could we do to stop sale of smoky coal in Ennis?

What could we do to stop sale of smoky coal in Ennis?

I don't think the problem is smokey coal, its people burning rubbish, people have stoves so the smoke goes straight up

The Illegal sale of smoky coal in Ennis is rife. The Council dont enforce the ban on sales of smoky coal. Many retailers sell it to Ennis town residents without question.The smoke worsens asthma.

Could Ennis Asthmatics sue the Council for not enforcing the ban?
    Why didnt the Council enforce the ban?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You can make a complaint to the Environmental Protection Agency. I see similar issues in Shannon, weather dependent.

http://www.epa.ie/enforcement/report/#.VPhqd4lybhk

You can even report it via an app now!

IOS
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/see-it-say-it!/id573916383?mt=8

Android
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.fusio.necl&hl=en

I don't think there's a need for a new thread on this so merging your new thread with the original 1 you created.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The Illegal sale of smoky coal in Ennis is rife. The Council dont enforce the ban on sales of smoky coal. Many retailers sell it to Ennis town residents without question.The smoke worsens asthma.

Could Ennis Asthmatics sue the Council for not enforcing the ban?
    Why didnt the Council enforce the ban?

Have you identified specific retailers selling smokey coal in the restricted area?
    Have you reported this to the Council?
    What was their reaction?

Anyone can sue anyone for anything if they're willing to pay for legal representation (or if they're especially brave, take the case themselves). As to whether they'd get anywhere, that is up to the Court.

A number of retailers in the town centre were selling me polish coal. Liffey Mills were not selling me Polish Coal.

I reported it to the Council but they did nothing. Could Asthmatics in Ennis join to complain and pursue it in the Courts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Could Asthmatics in Ennis join to complain and pursue it in the Courts?

They could try. They’d want to have their evidence together.

And once they don’t call themselves Asthmatics Resist Smokey Ennis.

Advertisement