Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,266 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Had the same issue on mine over christmas and also had castlebar hyundai check the battery. Unfortunately it passed all the tests so they wouldn't replace it under warranty (warranty is since gone as its only 2 years on the 12v).

I got a booster kit for jump starting it in case it starts happening again which I've only had to use once since but I think it will likely be an issue again when winter rolls around if my mileage doesn't go back up much. If the car had been driven for an hour or so most days over winter like it would have pre-covid I wouldn't have a problem I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

What he said,local motor factor get an 048 battery bigger capacity 60 quid for a decent one 3 year warranty ,you'll need to cut a piece of one web out of the battery tray base to make it fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Test drove an Ioniq 28 today.

Car felt great.

Just one odd feature.

On switching off the car the sat nav screen stayed on.

Is that normal and if so how does it power down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think most things stay on until you open the door. But the car will not drive. Handy feature

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭this.lad

It all goes off after a few minutes but as stated above opening the door kills every.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Had a 2nd test drive of the Ioniq today..

Looks like I was getting 13.6 kwh per 100 km.

Gom was dropping at around 1 km per km driven.

Rural driving with a small bit of rural driving.

Sorry I meant to say Rural driving with a small bit of rural town driving

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Did you expect anything different from the GOM? 13.6 sounds about right for that driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Looking to get two new tyres.

Shoujd I stick with Michelin Green energy saver or can I switch to Bridgestone?

Was quoted €95 each for Bridgestone. Is that the going rate?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Was just coming on here to ask the same question re tyres! I also need to replace my 2 front ones. I vaguely remember someone here recommending Goodyear efficient grip.

Any advice is most welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

The dealer put 4 new Michelin Primacy 4 tyres on ours when we bought second hand 18 months ago. They seem a good tyre, noticeably quieter than the originals. Wear, after about 20K km seems low. Our range also seems good..

12 volt battery questions.

1) does charging of the 12 volt happen at all stages (until fully charged) of the charging process of high voltage pack or does the car need to hit 100 percent.

2) will 12 volt still charge if car is being granny charged. Car will arrive before the home charger you see....

3) how often does the Ioniq need to be used to avoid flat batteries.

I got a bit of a shock with how quickly the gom dropped because kilometres are very short.

So on 2nd test drive I took note of the kms on clock at start and the gom reading.

Was happy with 1 km drop in Gom per 1 km driven.

Its just I drove 10 km* the first day but thought I'd done less.

*found the driving history after returning from second test drive.

Someone else who drove it last month got the energy usage on a journey up to 21 kwh per 100 km.

Quite the achievement as I know I just drove it without worrying about energy usage lol and got 13.5 and 13.6

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Easily done. Put it in sport mode and enjoy yourself at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Charging of the 12v is independent of the charging of the HV battery. There's a DC-DC converter that charges the 12v from the HV battery.

I think it can happen at all SOC above "low".

Ioniq needs to be used regulalry if you havent changed the stock battery. There's a program in the car that runs to ensure the 12v is topped up but it's not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

AS battery issues are temp related, most battery issues will not occur now, wait until its -4, and the car has nor been used for a few

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm afraid it's a bit worse than that. There is a flaw in the Ioniq's software that it lets the 12V battery go down too low before topping up from the HV battery via the DC-DC converter (as ELM327 described)

Once a lead acid 12V battery goes low (particularly if it actually goes below 12.0V), it will die very quickly and good chances you won't be able to revive it

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

This. It's further compounded by the fact the top up from the HV battery only happens every 72 hours or so. My Ioniq 12v went dead on 3 occasions before I took it back to the dealer who replaced it under warranty (only 2 warranty on the 12V).

No issues since

Wanted:

Anyone know of a cheap Ioniq28 going? Max of 15k. Mileage not important. For a friend not on boards. Budget is firm , and I've already made sure he doesnt buy a leaf!

• Advertisement

@ELM327 - I'll keep an eye out. No plans to get back into an EV yourself any time soon?

@beanian - indeed. The problem could easily be resolved by a software tweak, but none has been forthcoming from Hyundai. Not sure if they have even been made aware and accepted that this is a bug. Alternative fix of course is to replace the lead acid battery with a 4 cell LiFePo4 (lithium) battery, a perfect drop in replacement and one that can easily go down to as low as 10V and still work perfectly. All EVs will stop using lead acid and have these batteries instead in a few years from now, mark my words. If I still had my Ioniq, it would be out of warranty early next year and if I had any issues with the 12V, that's what I would have done myself.

There is for sure, but finding and moving into a new house is taking longer than expected. That's the blocker. Once we're through that process, I'll be back looking at a severus replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭zg3409

12 volt charging happens when car is charging AND when it is not charging. It takes power from main battery. Instead of every 36 hours newer software checks the 12volt battery now and then and tops up as needed.

I granny charged my ioniq for first few weeks of ownership without issue. Things to note when granny charging. Rate is about 2kW per hour, meaning it will take up to 14 hours to fully charge a 28kWh battery. If you have preheating turned on to warm car in morning, preheating can take more than supplied by charging so after 30 minutes preheating your car may display say 97% charged, when it was 100% before preheating started. If you must use an extension lead use a heavy duty one and fully unreel it and check plugs don't get warm after 30 minutes use.

If your 12 v is more than 2 years old (delcor branded battery is factory fit in 2017 models) then replace it for peace of mind. If you leave boot open for say 30 minutes with 'engine' off then 12 volt will probably run low and car will need to be jump started to come back to life.

I have a datalogger on my 12 volt battery so I can see it charging or topping up.

I'll discuss the above graph another day when I get time. Let's just say I needed a jump start at 1:30pm! (That's from today)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

I went with 4 Yokohama Bluearth Es tyres recently. Find them much quieter than the factory tyres, quite a bit grippier (less wheelspins in Sport mode), and I seem to be getting better economy too, though that could be likely down to the weather. Cost about €320 for the 4 fitted.

12v issues last night, herself couldn't get the car opened/started - had to walk home to let me go back out to the car to check on it (luckily not very far away) as baby was asleep and I couldn't leave her.

Hilariously when I got to the car it opened no problem first time - no issue with detecting the key.

Got 12v onto trickle charger this morning, was @ 12.8v when I hooked it up, so not "very low" imo, and have topped it to 13.6v and stuck it back in. Will keep an eye on it as it is an original battery (4 years) so maybe is time for a replacement all the same.

edit: - just happened again - have changed batteries in both keyfobs to check for any issues there. Classic timing, first NCT on Friday.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

If the battery was 12.8V when you started to have issues, then the battery was not the problem. 12.8V is pretty much fully charged in a lead acid battery

Is this a good deal nowadays for an early non white Ioniq28 with 100k km?

I really thought they would have depreciated more by now.

https://www.kearys.ie/used-cars/13356558-hyundai-ioniq-ev-5-dr-auto-172-c1545-kearys-hyundai-midleton/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I just wouldn't pay that for that era, hopefully a boardsie might be trading in an Ioniq soon that you could pick up near trade in value

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

That's kinda what I was waiting on tbh. I've seen people recently looking for 14-15k for high mile Ioniq 28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Gees - sold our pristine, year old black Ioniq almost 16 months ago, for 4 grand less than it would sell for now!

Brexit has caused havoc for the car market here. We'll be the Cuba of cars in years to come with no nice UK imports anymore, nothing bar low speck 520 diesels.

Advertisement