Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Update.....

Best car I've ever driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's a lovely car for long distance travel. Very comfortable ride. And a good bit of poke at lower speeds. Beats any ICE car of the same age / value hands down. And then there's the savings to the wallet and the planet...

History will smile on the Ioniq 28kWh. For me it was the first reasonably priced EV that would be adequate to use as our only family car for a family of 5. Realised that almost 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,606 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Slightly harsh on the Leaf I feel.

Still driving my 2014 and its a perfect family car for 5.

I've never driven an Ioniq so can't compare the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

For anyone who ordered the car. Did you get a choice of the interior's colour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Which car? If it's the Ioniq 5, I think it depends upon the exterior colour. (Similar to the Classic 39kWh)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

Yeah it's the Ioniq 5. The dealer didn't give an option. From photos it does looks like darker colours get white and light colours get dark interior but I could be wrong.

I came close enough to buying a Leaf in 2016. Great deal at a bit over €19k on the road brand new with metallic paint and 6.6kW charger. A fine car for a family of 5 as their only car. If you only ever drive locally. That's a big if.

Take your family from Dublin to Kerry and in an ICE it would take 4 hours with a break in the middle. In Ioniq maybe 15-30 minutes longer as you will need two quick stops. In a 24kWh Leaf it will take at least 8 hours. Wouldn't bother me if I had to do that trip just a few times per year on my own, but as a family car, that doesn't really cut the mustard.

A good point but as I said, never owned an Ioniq so Not sure of how much better it would be for long runs.

Our Leaf is our 2nd car, and it's ideal for that. In fact over the last 18 months it probably did much more miles than the ICE car, since vast majority of runs were short.

Your Leaf is your second car. That says it all. You can use Ioniq 28kWh as your only family car.

• Advertisement

True, but it is still used more than the ICE car because, like most of Irish families, it can handle the mileage that's thrown at it daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree. After 1k km in 3 days in herself's Ioniq28 I remember how great it is. I was getting sub 120wh/km on the motorway. Crazy.

One of the blue lights was flashing this evening on my Ioniq even though it wasn't charging.

I assumed it was the Auxiliary battery saver.

But when I powered up the car right now I got no alert to say battery saver had kicked in....

Any ideas????

Happens often on ours as well. Just the 12V battery getting getting a bit of a charge.

If it was the middle of the three blue lights then yes it's the 12v

Thank you ELM327 and eagerv.

The thing that got me wondering is that I never got the pop up message to say battery saver kicked in.

I did get it on the first test drive I did in the car before buying it but have not seen it since.

In wider news is there any Hyundai dealer known to be good with these on the technical side????.

Got sqeaks/rattle coming from what seems like the tailgate.

I could take it to the non Hyundai dealer I bought it but my local Hyundai dealer that they would take it to is Kearys the Cork and Mallow crowd.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,266 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I used never see the battery saver message either even though I would see the light come on to say it was charging the 12v. I didn't start seeing it until after the 12v died on me the for first time.

Don't think the message comes up on ours either, unless if you are sitting in car with the car powered down and using radio or other power. Not sure though..

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fidoodles

Had the most annoying rattles in our Ioniq.

Came from the passenger side boot / tailgate.

I removed the 'plastic block' attached to the tailgate, you'll see it at head height when the boot is open, and you'll need an allen key to remove it. I packed it out with a little shim of plastic, no more than 1/2 a mm.

And the last rattle, which I thought I'd never find, was coming from the rear seat, passenger side, where it locks shut. It needs a little tape wrapped around the hook, where the seat locks into place.

From the drivers seat, the seat rattle sounds like its coming from the boot / hatch. Try lowering the 'small' half and go for a drive.

Sorry for all the questions but....

At 50 percent and below what's the best way to assess what range might actually be left.

To date I've charged from above 50 percent but now want to get a proper feel of the cars range.

I think it was the original Ioniq thread here but someone said that the 2nd 50 percent disappears faster then the 1st.

Current status

50 percent according to car.

111 kms travelled on this charge from 100 to 50 percent.

105 kms on the gom

Thank you

• Advertisement

I have two pieces of guidance.

1 - Subtract 20km from the GOM and if this delta ever reaches 10 then charge asap

2 - As a general rule, you (i) get 2km per % point above 50% SOC and 1.5km for each % point below 50km. So if you have 50% exactly remaining, I'd be pretty confident of reaching 75km but not much further.

Ioniq28 charges so fast so I generally plan to be near a multi unit hub and top up if I'm below 25% anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

my approach has always been the following

1. Note the % of battery left and convert in kW - for example 50% battery remaining = 14 kW remaining
    2. Note current consumption in km/kWh - for exmaple 5km/kWh
    3. Multiply one by the other - for example 14*5=70km remaining range at my current speed.

NOTE: I always have android auto activated so if I have trouble with calculations I just ask google.

Or even simpler. Every % left is 2 km. If it will be tight or it's cold or wet, drive very gently and make sure you won't need those last few percent...

Yeah. Turtle mode cuts in at 5% remaining and it's super restrictive. I got that reminder pulling in to the Gorey services over the weekend. 190km on the motorway (albeit at 110) is not too bad.

Model S uses about 50% more electricity than Ioniq 28kWh in similar circumstances 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I could see why Joe Bloggs would think that EV's are not for him when he's expected to do all this mathematics to decide if he can get home! 🤣

What is really needed is more accurate GOM's and the SoC should be linear. I find the ID.3 is reliable enough in that regard, certainly alot better than the Leaf is.

I suspect that the bigger the battery the less of an issue this is.

Were I driving a 64 kwh car I think I could safely call it 180 miles minimum all year round in Irish conditions.

And I wouldn't even be asking the question.

Ioniq 28kWh is a 2016 car, things have moved on a bit. Every single EV for sale in Ireland, even small city cars, have a bigger battery now.

I agree what's needed is a more accurate system. As usual the best of them all is Tesla. You select your destination and the system checks (real time, including traffic) and tells you what percentage you will have left when you get to your destination (and to your destination and back). It also adjusts along the way, in case you drive faster than it expected you would (this never happens to me, honest 😂) or for some reason you use more electricity than it expected. This is super accurate. It would rarely be more than 1 percentage point off.

The ioniq is a cheap EV from 5 years ago. Modern EVs are not the same at all, most can easily do 300+km in one go.

The ioniq is usually going to be our second car, but as I'm between EVs, it's serving sole car duties for now. And we do a lot of kms so it's an edge case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭denismc

I have developed that rattle with the rear car seat latch as well and it's getting noticeably worse, I might take it to the dealer and see if they will fix it under warranty .

Advertisement