Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My 28kwh is 2019, I think all 2020 cars onwards are face-lift but there is the odd 2019 face-lift knocking around for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is dimples on the "grill" on the 38kWh model. The 28kWh model is smooth.

38kWh model below with grey part above the reg having non smooth appearance.

Beware there are some hybrids out there too., Include a link to the ad and we can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

Hi anyone have the latest software/maps update? Car due in for service in two weeks. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I'm sure this has been answered before in the thread, but I can't seem to figure out the search, so...

What do people recommend as a good tire for the ioniq?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

We got new Michelin primacy 4 included when we bought car second hand nearly two years ago. Seem a good tyre have worn well about 25k now. Seem quiet and efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I got 2 Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2 205/55R16 91 V back when I had mine. Bought from Openeo for €130. Was very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

I also got 2 new Goodyear Efficient Grip as front tyre replacements - they made some difference to my braking!

Picture below is my current version of software/maps. Is there a newer version out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Any one run a cable to the boot from the charge port opening button so it can be popped from inside the boot when getting the cables out?

https://www.evaccessoriesireland.com/product-page/hyundai-ioniq-28kw-front-storagr-box

The 'Frunk' for cables probably easier / less permanent / less likely to have any issues with trying to sell the car.

Am really happy with mine tbh - means I just use the boot for boot-y things instead like 400 bag-for-lifes

edit: I totally misread what you were after!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you could rewire the remote boot open triggered by the keyfob to instead open the charge port that would be handy. You could add a hidden toggle switch to return to factory condition. Therefore when at charge port pressing unlock boot on zapper would unlock charge port. I don't think however it's quite that easy as unlocking the boot on the keyfob seems to only enable the boot open button when unlocked, rather than actually unlocking the boot. They really should have thought of this when designing the car, or have a push to open design like other cars

I am replacing my 12 volt battery again this week's, 2 years after old one was replaced. As it's a bank holiday I just cable tied in a physically bigger battery to get me by. The battery seems to die if car is not turned on within a few minutes of unlocking car. I should be good for another two years.

I was just going to parallel a second switch. I was considering using a cheap wireless door bell to trigger a small relay up front.

The charge port switch is very easy to access as it's just above your obd port door.

Ok after looking at this again, the mechanical filler pop is actually in the boot and long enough to come up just above the floor. So it can easily be popped when getting out the cables

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Re software ,do a YouTube search for Mr sonic spinner,all will be revealed......

What are people paying for there 4th service? Car is near 60,000km. I’ve been quoted €320. Seems quite excessive. Car is a 191. Only difference I can see this time around is they have to change the brake fluid as the car will 3 years old in January.

€140, included brake fluid.

Go to a different dealer. €300+ is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Where have you placed your toll tag?

I'm doing my first motorway trip at the weekend & I'm not sure where to put the tag? Can you put it on the mesh? Or does the mesh block the signal?

Or can i just put it on dash or put on top of the mirror with a little velcro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I have mine sitting on the inside edge of the mesh near the mirror and it gets read every time. Will see if I can get a pic later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

if your toll tag is an old one from a previous car, no harm to get a new one from your toll tag provider..

My old tag did not get recognised occasionally , new one always gets recognised

Mine is positioned on the black mesh , behind mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Saw the Ioniq yesterday, while not as cool as the EV6 ,it suited me better as I'm 6ft 4 and have a duff ( ish) back.

Very practical car all round

• Advertisement

The black mesh is where tags should be. Windscreens can have metal in them, and this area will not. Metal works interfere with the tag getting recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So I'm getting the "forgetting charge settings" bug on my ioniq28. I remember this from the old Ioniq I had, was there ever a fix?

Don't think so. Mine eventually settled down, but I think what exacerbates it is looking at the scheduled charging times. If you never had it before and its just starting to happen now, it might point towards a 12v issue

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Hello all,

so my wife agrees we could upgrade our 2017 Ioniq, after selling it and some additional funds we should have about 35-40k, what do you think would be suitable replacement? New Ioniq any good?

P.S. Herself does not like the Ioniq 5 at all.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If it were me I would probably be looking at an ID3 or E-Niro. Wouldn't rule out the Ioniq 38kwh either if you can get a really good trade in deal on one either tbh but it's not much of an upgrade on the 2017 really imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ioniq38 is not an upgrade on the 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭turnfan

At the right price, the 38 is defo worth considering over the 28! But I see no reason to go for ID3 or ENiro while the market is so out of whack right now.

On another note, my 28 ioniq has been tripping my Zappi Charger's RCD or RCBO in the fusebox intermittently since I got it (end 2019).

The charger people now say it's the car (after doing a repair and a replacement) , now it's gone into the dealer for a look over.

I asked them to check for software updates and check the onboard charger for current leaks.

I brought it to them with a low battery to see if they have any issues charging - but from what I see, it's random, it could charge perfect today, and trip tomorrow, no pattern with rain, temperature or anything

So I'm not confident the dealer will find anything (not in their interest to!)

has anyone had a similar experience with this, and was it resolved?

next step will be to try it with a different charger (it's never tripped while Granny charging FYI)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pat2800

Hi All,

I'm hoping to buy a second hand Ioniq in the new year , I'm very impressed with online reviews so have decided to go for this make/model.

Question :

Visually checking online seems to show all 2019 28kwh models have a heated steering wheel , whereas the 2017/2018 models do not. Is there any other differences between those years I should know about ???

I'm still undecided whether to go for the 28 or 38 , some main dealers are currently selling 2019 28kwh models at mad money, in some cases only 2k cheaper than some 38kwh versions.

I am aware of the slow DC charging on the 38's, this wont be a problem for me as it will be a second car for local runarounds and charged at home at night rates. I slightly prefer the look of the 28 but also happy to go for the 38 with the APP, greater range and better info system.

The efficiency of the Ioniqs, looks and spec swung it for me , plus I an looking for an EV that will fully charge < 6hours. So the Ioniq seems the perfect choice

Outside of the 38 battery recall are there any other issues I should be aware of when I'm looking around ??

Great thread by the way, I'd really appreciate any suggestions or comments.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

I have a black Ioniq 28 new from '172' and id have to say it is by far the best car i've ever had, it has been rock solid and dependable and i have just over 82k km on it and has no squeaks, rattles or anything after that time brilliant car. There was no heated steering wheel in the 172 28 models but some that came in from the uk had it as far as i remember. The adaptive cruise control is excellent on it, just set it and it takes care of accelerating / decelerating and stopping i'll never get a car again without it, has heated seats, lane keep assist, android auto, apple carplay, heat pump, ect.. Its a very solid choice of car. I have been test driving some of the latest and greatest cars at the moment as i'm thinking of changing next year and everytime i hop back into the ioniq i'm still impressed

• Advertisement

Apart from the the heated steering wheel the only other extra thing in the 2019 is privacy glass on the back windows I think. Any cars brought in from the UK before that would have had them too.

Advertisement