Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Would there be many Premium SE's about? considering switching to an Ioniq and it'd have to be that trim for the memory seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I was looking at DoneDeal yesterday & only one SE model 28kw

Only the drivers seat is electric though. Not both

Leather heated & cooled vented front seats. Heated leather outer seats on the rear.

Blind Spot Detection

Heated steering wheel although I have seen this in 2016 premium cars

I think that's it in differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭zg3409

On UK imports the dash does show km, but in main screen Miles which can't be changed, you see both, so it's a little messy, but liveable. UK imports may have different spec to Irish paddy spec cars. There is a recall of charge port on older 28kWh models. You may need to contact Hyundai Ireland with vin to check. In terms of 38kWh battery recall some reports some cars are "fixed" with software updates, personally I would prefer to buy a car with the new battery rather than a software fix that might harm capacity, charging rate or battery life.

Overall they are great cars, but the public charging network is terrible so there can be 1+ hour queues for chargers on long trips. Make sure the range will cover 99% of trips. For 28kWh that's 160km for 38kWh that's 200km, maybe more in summer at low speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have seen some very high mileage Ioniq 28s for sale of late.

Wondering how the battery SOH fares on these? Would they be safe enough to consider buying?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

For sub 14k, sure. Anything more is just inflation because of the electric hype.

Think we've seen <100k km ioniqs with no reported degradation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

I have a ioniq 28 with 83k kilometres on it, very little difference on the GOM from new, to be honest if I needed a second hand electric car(and I didn't have it already!) The Ioniq 28 would be it, it has been absolutely faultless

Yes. The first reported non 100% state of health on ioniq 28kWh was a car with 160,000km and it just started dropping below 100%. Put up links to the ads and we can advise on value. If trading in, trade in prices can vary a lot thus changing actual cost to buy car. If you nearly always do trips below 150km then it's the car for you. Main downside is public charging on longer trips and public chargers are often busy, blocked or broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

What would you consider good trade-in value for a 191 Ioniq 28 16,000km Premium SE?

It was a UK import so has everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Trade in value is meaningless. All depends on the cost to upgrade to whatever you are buying. If it is a Rolls-Royce, the dealer will give you €30k for your car (more than it cost new) as a trade in value 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Look at done deal,ignore the outlayers get an average for comparable cars reduce it by a larger round number than 1/3 of that figure THATS what the dealer will offer.

Then add a bit on to that figure and email every dealer in the country and play them off each other.

Then buy a bottom spec ID3/IONIQ 5 middle/small battery variant or wait for the e- Megane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Went for a drive in my car this morning.

The efficiency figure was at 6 km per kwh.

But the car was dropping percentage faster then the efficiency figure suggested.

Is this a low SoC thing (25 percent at start and 16 percent at finish) thing or is the efficiency reading not good enough in winter for whatever reason

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I find the efficiency readings vs battery percentage unreliable as I often will have lower efficiency but use less battery and sometimes vise versa. And yes, the lower the state of charge the less bang for your buck you will get I wouldn't expect to get as far on 10% of battery when the SOC is 30% as I would when it's 100%. I don't know is it just bad design or a deliberate thing to give people a false sense of security at higher SOCs.

The bottom half of the ioniq 28kw battery definitely goes faster & when it hits zero it stops!

Whereas the 1.5gen leaf will keep going for another bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

How low could you comfortably go in it? I've gotten down to 2% in my Zoe and wife went to 1% recently. For longer trips I generally run between 12-15% back up to 85%.

I saw a youtube last week where they took 5 evs and ran them down till they died and the zoe kept going after hitting zero, the ioniq won't. Drops like a stone and stops dead pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, Ioniq is based on Ah to calculate SOC, this is why .

At temperature of 2 degrees Celsius, cold battery and car, I got an assumed range of 160km yesterday in my ioniq 28kWh. That was at 120km/h real gps speed, and 100km/h and a short bit of 80km/h roadworks. I chickened out after the trip back only showed 41% left, so I stopped and charged. Based on the % left when I got home I would have made the trip with 0% left. The first 3 50kW chargers I passed were busy (according to app, in use) but the 4th was available. I reckon a couple of hours charging at grannies would be enough to make it home. I'll be making the same trip again this evening, so I'll see if granny charging will get me to the safe zone. I don't like going below 20% or at most 14% particularly when range left is less than range to destination, however I don't like to public charge, particularly in near range trips. I may drop max speed to 100km/h real gps for return trip to prevent soiled pants. GOM still shows 179km today which it unrealistic based on yesterday trip.

I find absolute max these days to be 150km.

Less again if you're not using preheat. My average (over about 10k km, both of us driving) has gone from 139 to 152wh/km. Recent trips are showing 175+ wh/km

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Gone very cold last week or so, battery no like

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Yup. I find 10-12 degrees the "crossover point" where the range changes from 150-170, to 130-150.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I had an unexpected journey this morning in the Tesla, at the DC fast charger the car was nowhere near warmed up and only pulling 23/25kW so I unplugged and used the 22kW AC instead rather than take up the DC from a warmed up battery that may need it more

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Can you elaborate on the "not using preheat" comment? I didn't know preheating was a thing, so I'm guessing I'm not doing it!

You can schedule preheat from the on board screen. Note, car must be plugged in for the preheat to work. If you preheat, it makes a lot of difference. I monitored the energy usage and the heater was taking 7kW without preheat and 500W-1kW with it, these days. Less important in summer of course. The Ioniq28 get absolultely hammered in the winter.

This explains preheating

I hardly ever use it unless i have a long trip planned.

The few times i have used it the zappi says used 1.2kw and that was on cold mornings. Preheating gives you a few extra kms of range. In my case about 6kms

154km trip yesterday. Limited speed to 100km/h gps speed all motorway, 3 degrees, no wind. Arrived back with 10% left, although I did granny charge at granny's for 1 hour, probably adding 7% range, so yes 150km is probably 100% to 0% range. If attempting trips above 130km in this weather, particularly with any head wind beware you may not make it without public charging or slowing. At least I can avoid public charging stops by dropping my speed and granny charging for an hour. I do this trip once a week, but I moved house further away, so it's getting to the limits of the ioniq 28kWh. I still can't justify a bigger battery EV.

Agree. I have a regular 150km round trip and we have to do 100km/h on the motorway to make it these days. A month or so ago 120km/h all the way was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 fluffykre

Question to the Ioniq 28kWH owners. Do you ever get a sweet burning smell or any smell when you start heating the car. Its the first car I have which has a heat pump and there is a dusty sweet smell out of it. Previous ICE cars I have had dont have any smell come out of the heater however I can imagine the heat generated by a ICE car without a heat pump may be a different process.

I find the smell more prominent if I have the Heat on with AC off. If I have the AC and heat button pressed the smell is less intense.

I'm not sure if its the standard smell out of a heat pump element or something burning like a coolant leak on it or dust. I changed out the cabin filter for a good quality filter and I have not really noticed a difference.

its a 191 bought it second hand

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

172 Ioniq, no smell !

• Advertisement

I never smell anything from mine either

Advertisement