Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

Mooneys Longmile for me - called to say come get it, they just cleared the codes and all seems fine. Puzzled but they're okay with giving it back as is.

Think its €170 for the privilege of the code clearance unfortunately.

scratch that - christmas tree dashboard when I collected it - luckily they were able to snap the diagnostics thing onto it immediately and show it was the rear right ABS sensor that was giving the intermittent issue.

Waiting on a price now for the part and then to organise the car to go back in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭zg3409

Personally I would ask a back street garage to inspect the wheel rotation sensors and see if they are showing signs of damage. You could wait for the problem to reoccur and then get it inspected then possibly buy the sensor from Hyundai and get it fitted locally. Intermittent faults can be a pain to get fixed but they tend to be moving parts and wear and tear related. Often these sensors get hit by a stone or the wiring gets hit by a stone or rain or rust damages the wires or connector to the sensor. It's typically a magnetic sensor that measures the rotation speed of each wheel. This is used to determine if a wheel is rotating and it's needed for abs etc.

€284 + VAT for the sensor - so full quote for replacement @ €429.

6 weeks out of warranty :(

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

The problem is that the hub has to be replaced on the back wheels as it incorporates the abs sensor. The abs sensor itself can be changed out on the front which would probably mean a lower cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

Mine went 2 days before the warranty expired. Seems this is a common problem and is very strange that it's happening so many cars at exactly 5 years of age. I'd push the dealers to fix under the warranty and contact Hyundai directly, could well be a common fault which should be subject to a recall at this stage.

It's happened more than once..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Question.....

Does the 28 kwh Ioniq have a particularly good HVAC system...

Because I'm seeing owners of EVs complaining of heating related issues I don't have on the Ioniq.

I find that I don't get cold feet and the auto demist does a great job keeping windows clear....

And I'm never cold despite never pre heating.

Don't use heated seats either because I don't feel a need.

Am I going to be in for epic disappointment with replacement EVs

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Don't really have much to compare it to but it seems pretty good to me. It also has a heat pump as standard I think. Certainly beats the 08 berlingo I was driving before it for comfort 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It is very good. Indeed heat pump as standard and it outputs 7kW, that's enormous for a heatpump. Car is clear quicker and better than any other car I have owned and that includes lots of high end BMW, Jaguar, Saab, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. and 2 * Tesla Model S (without heat pump)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Pretty much my experience too.

So was surprised to see that other EVs aren't as good apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The only problem with the Ioniq28 hvac (and we've had 2 ioniq28) is the ADS. It kicks in too much, and if you switch it off the windows can fog up.

The hvac system itself is brilliant, I've seen it pull over 7kW and defrost a windscreen in a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 outlyer

I’ve started to notice* after 5 years the de-misting taking longer than it used to, i.e. I am getting further from my house before the window clears. Have any of you ioniq 28 owners changed the refrigerant? Is it a handy job?

(* I could be imagining this or is there less traffic and I’m getting further)

I have only noticed this in the past week due to colder night temperatures. It still only takes 60-90 seconds, and I expect if weather changes it should be ok.

I noticed if you set preheat it comes on 30 minutes early so I typically set it later so car starts preheating 10 or 15 minutes before I normally leave as I dont need the full 30 minutes preheat at this time of year.

Anyone know this ioniq 28kWh cloth interior on done deal for sale by Dublin trader with 190,000km on clock? It's suspiciously low priced and may be a right off repaired. No reg, may have been an NI car or imported from the north or auctioned. Very suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Basilio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I think with the colder nights it’s now time to replace the 12v battery in my 2017 Ioniq. Halfords says this is suitable:

Any reason why this won’t work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Should be perfect. Also the same size and shape as the original, you wont have to make any alterations to the fixing plate. It's what we were recommended when we had a 28kWh, but didn't need to change in the end. Can probably buy a cheaper make from your local motor factor but I personally wouldn't bother for €10, Yuasa make good batteries..

Thanks, I’ll pick one up today. Mine was refusing to recognize both keys yesterday despite new batteries in them, and no sound from the radio (pulling the fuse usually fixes this). So I suspect the 12v battery needs replacement as the original is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Sent you a 10 percent discount code for halfords

• Advertisement

Very kind of you, just on the way to the now so very well timed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

After 2 years of Ioniq ownership I'm going to keep it for another few years, thinking I will get the grill down, it's metallic blue, what color should I go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Hi all, has anyone had any issue with the steering sometimes, ? I drove my 2018 to Cork airport yesterday ( 100km ) and the for the entire journey , the steering wheel was feeling like it was sticking very slightly. It made the trip really annoying, didn't matter what speed I was doing it was non stop. Got to the airport , charged it up and when I started my journey home, the steering was perfect again.

I'm going to go the dealers tomorrow and ask, I was just curious has anyone else experienced this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Did this work out for you? I went in to Halfords and asked them to change it for me and they wouldn't! Said they won't perform any work on BEVs or HEVs. I didn't want to buy the battery without checking if it worked there and then.

You do not need Halford`s "Highly Skilled" technician to install 12V unit

. Just change battery as you would in ICE vehicle. Buttery is covered under the warranty so should be fine.

I updated the infotainment system software on my 2017 28kWh ioniq.

There is now an official Hyundai windows/ Mac software to do this. You need to buy a 32GB SD card (no bigger no smaller), SD card computer interface and download massive file sizes at slow rates from internet. It took me about 4 hours but should be one hour. Save the file to your pc, then transfer to SD card. Put SD card into slot and car will update.

The files are dated November 2022. Main thing I noticed was time shown on screen while reversing!

Full details in the description on this video, with links to official website, correct SD card etc.

Go to a motor factors not Halfords. There is a bracket holding down the battery and 2 connections. Just make sure you get the correct battery. Ring ahead and they may fit it for you if quiet.

Yes, works perfectly. 5 minutes job to swap over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Ha ha, yes I definitely think so. I just wanted them to try and fit it as they didn't have that precise battery and I was actually stuck in a car park beside a Halfords without tools to do the job. The car eventually kicked in and I went along.

I also just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have to cut parts of the battery tray off etc.

Advertisement