Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Between the Bus and the Ioniq - 6 k vehicles seem to be involved. (82,000 vehicles involved - 76,000 of them Konas)

How many Ioniqs EVs have they made????.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Old diesel wrote: »
    How many Ioniqs EVs have they made????.

A lot more than 6k

So I guess only the 39kWh models are affected by this as we expected...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,062 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 36,062 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wrong thread!

We have one dedicated to the Ioniq 5 over here:

Linky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

unkel wrote: »
    Wrong thread!

We have one dedicated to the Ioniq 5 over here:

Linky

I really hate how they've used the ioniq name as their new bev platform name.

Ioniq? Iconic? Ionic? The good ioniq (28)? The bad ioniq (38)? The new ioniq (5)?

The good ioniq (28)? The bad ioniq (38)? The new ioniq (5)?

:D

The new one is certainly not the ugly Ioniq!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭zg3409

KCross wrote: »
    This article posted in Kona thread
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hyundai-motor-electric-recall-idUKKBN2AO0JS

says...
    The recall applies to nearly 76,000 Kona EVs built between 2018 and 2020, including about 25,000 sold in South Korea. Some Ioniq EV models and Elec City buses are also included in the recall.

I'd say Ioniq 28kWh would be the exception there and wont be included. Its the longest on the market and it would have blown up long before now if it was affected... just guessing there but seems logical.

Seems mainly Kona and then presumably the newer Ioniq are affected? Does the new Ioniq share a battery with the short range Kona and then hence affected?

And Hyundai is now set to replace the entire battery in:

75,680 Kona electric cars
    5,716 Ioniq electric cars
    305 Elec City buses

From
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56156801

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

if I had a 28 I wouldnt be getting the replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

ELM327 wrote: »
    if I had a 28 I wouldnt be getting the replacement

Yup. If it ain't broke, don't break it.

• Advertisement

Given the numbers, the Ioniq 28 is not part of this recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Given the numbers, the Ioniq 28 is not part of this recall.

It will however be lumped in with every other problem that EV's have had, given fuel to the idea batteries need to be replaced after x years.

Its not like a recall for airbags or some brake caliber, its a disaster for Hyundai and EV's in general.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    It will however be lumped in with every other problem that EV's have had, given fuel to the idea batteries need to be replaced after x years.

Its not like a recall for airbags or some brake caliber, its a disaster for Hyundai and EV's in general.

Good thing batteries have huge warranties across the board. What is it, 8 years or 200k km in the ioniq 28. I believe the km was reduced in the ioniq 38 though. 125 or 150k km.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

I have a problem with the rear passenger door. A bit of the door hand has come off. Has to happened to anyone else on here? Its 2019 Ioniq. Will the dealer fix this under warranty? Or should I try glue it back on.

Bring it back to the dealer, something like that shouldn't happen unless you caused damage to it yourself. So should be fixed under warranty. They might not have the part in stock though, so could mean at least two trips to the dealer. Up to you if that's worth it or for you to do a quick fix yourself.

Bring it back to the dealer, something like that shouldn't happen unless you caused damage to it yourself. So should be fixed under warranty. They might not have the part in stock though, so could mean at least two trips to the dealer. Up to you if that's worth it or for you to do a quick fix yourself.

No damage done on my part. It just popped off as I opened the door! Ive put it back in place. It’s fairly loose. I’ll bring it in to be looked at. Just looking online it seems to be a common issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    I have a problem with the rear passenger door. A bit of the door hand has come off. Has to happened to anyone else on here? Its 2019 Ioniq. Will the dealer fix this under warranty? Or should I try glue it back on.

That happened me and I got it fixed under warranty. It took three visits BTW. On the first visit, they checked it out and ordered the part. The second visit was meant to be when the part was fitted, but the mechanic realised that the part would need spraying to colour match, so he arranged a third appointment for the fitting once the part was sprayed. Maybe when they order the part for you, you should mention this.

I’ve heard Bjørn Nyland mention that this is a common enough issue too, so it’s not just you and me (or my eight-year-old being too aggressive opening the door!).

fricatus wrote: »
    That happened me and I got it fixed under warranty. It took three visits BTW. On the first visit, they checked it out and ordered the part. The second visit was meant to be when the part was fitted, but the mechanic realised that the part would need spraying to colour match, so he arranged a third appointment for the fitting once the part was sprayed. Maybe when they order the part for you, you should mention this.

I’ve heard Bjørn Nyland mention that this is a common enough issue too, so it’s not just you and me (or my eight-year-old being too aggressive opening the door!).

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully they will sort it out. If they don’t I’ll be on to Hyundai Ireland to get it sorted. Shouldn’t be happening to a 2 year old car. Especially when the rear passenger doors get very little use! It looks like a clip broke on the back of it. Feels like very cheap plastic. I see some dealers in the uk do it under warranty and some don’t.

Car booked in for inspection this Friday. They need to see if it will be covered under warranty or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Car booked in for inspection this Friday. They need to see if it will be covered under warranty or not!

if you google "ioniq broken door handle" there are plenty of examples of this happening on the 28. I would suggest sharing the same with the dealer and politely suggest that it is an obvious design fault and should be covered under warranty.

• Advertisement

Doesn't that part never move though? Blob of glue wouldn't do it any harm, no? Assuming the dealer doesn't cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Exact same thing with my 171 Ioniq in late 2019. Was repaired under warranty.

Left the car in today for the door handle issue. They say it’s not covered under warranty. So I had to pay for the inspection they did on the handle. I’ve contacted Hyundai Ireland to see if I have any luck with them. For people who got it resolved under warranty did you have to put up a fight? I explained how if they google it they will see its a common issue. To which I was told it was the first they seen!!

Left the car in today for the door handle issue. They say it’s not covered under warranty. So I had to pay for the inspection they did on the handle. I’ve contacted Hyundai Ireland to see if I have any luck with them. For people who got it resolved under warranty did you have to put up a fight? I explained how if they google it they will see its a common issue. To which I was told it was the first they seen!!

Probably is though, or they're liars as usual, but that's a very narrow minded approach from them to say "we've not seen it before, so it's not an issue". How many Ioniqs sold in Ireland? It's a pretty limited supply to have the opinion that what they've see is de facto.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

No fight needed when I went in (Mooney's, Long Mile Road). They inspected the damage, made a call (I presume), and told me that it would be repaired under warranty.
    I just had to arrange a suitable time to have the repairs done... simple as that.

I'd have a very robust conversation with the service manager :D

If that didn't help, I'd contact the MD of the dealer and then Hyundai Ireland. With lots of spilling the beans on social media if that didn't work out. Laced with a few ultimatums and eventually the small claims court. Would not take no for an answer there...

I’ve been in contact with Hyundai Ireland by phone and emailed off the pictures. Just waiting for a response. The branch manager said and I quote the reason it’s not warranty issue is because I have had the car two years and it only broke now. If it was a manufacturer issue it would have happened a few weeks after I bought the car! So basically the warranty you get with the car isn’t worth the paper it’s written on! I explained I only have someone in the back the odd time so the back doors are never opened! I have a feeling I’ve a long fight on my hands! While the car was in they did some outstanding recall on 3pin charger see attached picture.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

What a joke, sell a car with a 5 year warranty, and then claim that things that break after 2 years aren't a warranty issue :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I’ve been in contact with Hyundai Ireland by phone and emailed off the pictures. Just waiting for a response. The branch manager said and I quote the reason it’s not warranty issue is because I have had the car two years and it only broke now. If it was a manufacturer issue it would have happened a few weeks after I bought the car! So basically the warranty you get with the car isn’t worth the paper it’s written on! I explained I only have someone in the back the odd time so the back doors are never opened! I have a feeling I’ve a long fight on my hands! While the car was in they did some outstanding recall on 3pin charger see attached picture.

That's a warranty issue all day long. The car is well within the warranty period.

I don't know why the branch manager cares, he'll get the cost covered by Hyundai Ireland. Maybe the Warranty Manager doesn't fancy the onerous task of putting the claim through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That's a warranty issue all day long. The car is well within the warranty period.

I don't know why the branch manager cares, he'll get the cost covered by Hyundai Ireland. Maybe the Warranty Manager doesn't fancy the onerous task of putting the claim through.

..because he does not give a sh1t most likely

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement