Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Centres

Options
  • 31-01-2021 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I'm really hoping garden centres open this year. My local one is closed. I usually buy lettuce plants in Spring and of course didn't get them in time last year. I grew my own plants but the enemy ate them. I only managed to preserve about eight! Has anyone heard anything about them this year? Council allotments are closed again but i heard that independent ones are still open and the owners will need the garden centres.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Where are you based. Alot of them are open around Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Where are you based. Alot of them are open around Dublin

What, really? I'll start ringing around, maybe Newlands or Johnstown are open after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Newlands and the orchard in celbridge are open Johnstown is still closed (so I've heard)

Many thanks. :) I was unaware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭greasepalm

So seed sowing is out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Yes,Johnstown my local is still closed :( I didn't know about newlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Google "garden centres near me", then enter some of the results in Google Maps. If they are closed it will tell you.
    My nearest one is Ratoath Garden Centre. It says it's open and will close at4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

Try LiDL
    Quite a good selection of seeds and wild flowers available and selling like hotcakes. Very cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Yes,Johnstown my local is still closed :( I didn't know about newlands.

I ordered from johnstown on Saturday and was delivered Tuesday. Great selection online.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Newlands is open. Has been open all through lockdown three. They're open until 6pm most days. It's very quiet. I'm assuming most people don't know it's open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

When I moved to my house there was an army of slugs. Beer traps worked really well. Was dozens in them every morning. Fell sorry for them but no choice if you want to grow salads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Free meat with your salads.

Google "garden centres near me", then enter some of the results in Google Maps. If they are closed it will tell you.
    My nearest one is Ratoath Garden Centre. It says it's open and will close at4pm.

Thanks, will try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Mimon wrote: »
    When I moved to my house there was an army of slugs. Beer traps worked really well. Was dozens in them every morning. Fell sorry for them but no choice if you want to grow salads etc.

It's better than poisoning them and in turn the birds and hedgehogs that might eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I ordered from johnstown on Saturday and was delivered Tuesday. Great selection online.

They are open again now :) I'm so happy as it's my local. Was so quiet today and was lovely to have a look around apart from the pissing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

greasepalm wrote: »
    Free meat with your salads.

Very sad story, make sure to cook before eating them

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/05/health/man-dies-after-eating-slug-on-dare/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Newlands is open. Has been open all through lockdown three. They're open until 6pm most days. It's very quiet. I'm assuming most people don't know it's open

🙀🙀🙀 I certainly didn't know. I thought it was just open for pet supplies and takeaway food. Is the plant outdoor section open?

Woodies is open in Cork although B&Q and Hanley's are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

happyday wrote: »
    Woodies is open in Cork although B&Q and Hanley's are closed.
    I was in B&Q Swords the other day (for hardware) and was stuck for 10 minutes behind a woman who was disputing the prices of her trolley-load of plants!

I was in B&Q Swords the other day (for hardware) and was stuck for 10 minutes behind a woman who was disputing the prices of her trolley-load of plants!

Different interpretation of "essential" here I suppose. 🀷

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Sundew wrote: »
    🙀🙀🙀 I certainly didn't know. I thought it was just open for pet supplies and takeaway food. Is the plant outdoor section open?

Yep. Every part of it is open. I found it strange seeing as the likes of B&Q and Woodies have to close their outdoor garden section. I'm not complaining though!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Yep. Every part of it is open. I found it strange seeing as the likes of B&Q and Woodies have to close their outdoor garden section. I'm not complaining though!

Was behind a customer in Woodies Turners Cross couple of days ago who was loaded up with compost and bedding plants and their outdoor garden section was open as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

My local one was open last lockdown as they supplied landscape contractors (apparently) but this time they are deliveries only

Begs the question can they or can’t they legitimately open

It makes sense to have them open. People need something to do and growing vegetables in particular is a good thing to do, no crowds, plenty of exercise, fresh air, production of food. Nothing bad about it. I think if you can shop in a supermarket you can shop in a garden centre. We keep pretty busy at home as we have plenty of interests but I have friends of all ages crawling up the walls as they've no interests except their holidays and social life. It would help them to clear a patch and sow a few veg seeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not quite the same but remember Lidl have their racks of seeds in store now,

Advertisement