Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything to be said for another.. .class?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

I started school in the early 80s, so it sounds like babies was a loose arrangement that the younger kids went into if they were barely four, and the ones that were coming up on 5 went into proper junior infants. I'd imagine most schools wouldn't have had the numbers to run a separate middles class.

I've heard of 'high babies'...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yeah my OH went to a Dublin school....started age 4 and 2 months and he was supposed to have done a middle infants class but they didn't have the numbers that year.That would have been mid-80s.I had never heard of it myself before I met him but some places obviously had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

shesty wrote: »
    Yeah my OH went to a Dublin school....started age 4 and 2 months and he was supposed to have done a middle infants class but they didn't have the numbers that year.That would have been mid-80s.I had never heard of it myself before I met him but some places obviously had them.

I'd say for some schools it was just a case of falling between two stools. Big schools with multiple classes in each year could afford to have a middles, tiny rural two teacher schools had four year groups in one room anyway so keeping a child in the junior room for another year wouldn't make a difference. Medium size schools with 1-2 classes per year probably didn't have enough for middles.

Advertisement