Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kodi VM - is this possible

Options
  • 31-01-2021 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,475 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking how to get rid of the box in the sitting room that does all the HTPC stuff and got me thinking why not run kodi in a VM on the main PC in another room

So if I just move the GPU, sat/saorview tuner, SDD to the main computer, load kodi into a VM and assign the hardware to the VM (not sure if I can assign the IR receiver, assume I can)

The main computer isn't used for anything intensive

Is this possible? What kind of issues might I encounter?

TIA

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

How would you connect the main PC in the other room to the TV in the sitting room?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,475 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Spocker wrote: »
    How would you connect the main PC in the other room to the TV in the sitting room?

HDMI

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

Gotcha. If you're going to move all the hardware to the PC, why not just run Kodi as a regular app? I don't see the need/benefit of running it in a VM?

To answer your question though, I suspect audio/video might be the difficult part?

Edit: found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/eyuocp/running_kodi_in_vm_proxmox_unraid/

I need to be able to use the computer seperately from what is being viewed on the TV - it's not a case of using one or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 34,689 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Raspberry Pi with Libreelec and TVheadend with the tuner sticks as server, another RPi behind the TV with Libreelec as client - or just install the Kodi app if it's an android TV

With HDMI-CEC you control Kodi / Libreelec with the TV remote

You can use directly connected storage on the server Pi or a NAS located anywhere in the house for storing recordings

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

I'm not spending money to replace something that works with more mess
    Im looking to consolidate the mess

In case anyone else is looking in the future

I went with Aster MultiSeat

Took hours and hours rewiring everything and setting the pc up but all working fine except I cannot get the secondary GPU working even tho it's recognised in Windows and Aster, so running both displays off my main GPU - if there is no issues with stuttering I'll stick with that
    Aster is 15 euro a year or 44 euro for life - so small price to pay, probably more than covered by the electricity saved!

Someone else's very nice setup

Advertisement