Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wheel build

Options
  • 31-01-2021 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

After a nice meeting with a rock I need to replace a rear rim. Anyone got any recommendations on who to use to replace the rim and approx. labour costs?

Is it something you could do yourself? Would be tempted if it wasn't for trying to figure out the spoke length! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

After a nice meeting with a rock I need to replace a rear rim. Anyone got any recommendations on who to use to replace the rim and approx. labour costs?

Is it something you could do yourself? Would be tempted if it wasn't for trying to figure out the spoke length! :)

I use either expert or revolve cycles - both really good.

If you want to try it yourself this is supposed to be the Bible.

https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

I tried once from scratch and ended up at expert with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Truing sounds like a pain in the hole, but if you're into it, go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Only build if youd be interested in building. Otherwise go to your lbs with a good mechanic, any good mechanic should be able to build a wheel.

If you are to build a wheel id recomend buying a tension meter, as it the only way to gurantee a solid wheel truing can be done in the bike om a budget
    Heres another of the bible free pdf
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbsx865uzz0s7jq/Bicycle_Wheel_-_Jobst_Brandt.pdf?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Sounds like you should just throw it to saccades to be honest.

Maybe give him a family pack of Wheelies to sweeten the deal.

Advertisement