Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External HDD problems

Options
  • 31-01-2021 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

Hi, a have a 2TB WESTERN HDD, which I use as my file backup for a win10 desktop. For some reason when I went to use it recently ,the desktop couldn't recognise the HDD drive. I found through CMD that the HDD drive had changed to RAW from NTFS, I tried CMD check disk, with no result, I went to YouTube and thought this could help ,https://youtu.be/WW4NkiYktJw,. So I ended up using the FS=NFS command to change to NTFS. After 24 hrs the process finished, but after restarting the desktop , it's still not recognising the HDD. When I use CMD the HDD shows as NTFS,. I'll put up a screenshot. I need to recover my data from the HDD and get my desktop to recognise the HDD, and also to leave the recovered HDD with the recovered files on it. Any help appreciated. I saw 2 programs that may help,. Test Disk,. and. Icare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Here is a screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

horse7 wrote: »
    Here is a screenshot

Does Windows see the drive under Disk Management?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Disk management is now showing the hdd, It didnt until i gave the drive a name (f).This is a pic of same.
    No files are showing, so i need to recover data from the hdd

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi, a have a 2TB WESTERN HDD, which I use as my file backup for a win10 desktop.
    I need to recover my data from the HDD and get my desktop to recognise the HDD, and also to leave the recovered HDD with the recovered files on it.

When is a backup not a backup?

The partition going RAW suggests the MFT was lost. Testdisk might find the files but most likely the names will be gone, thatll make it a nightmare for you.

Chkdsk is destructive and IMHO should not have been used.

Advertisement