Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing down lighters downstairs

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Malcomex wrote: »
    This problem of course originated with allowing the non rec to add wiring without testing

Never made any sense at all

I sent an email to CER (now the CRU) for clarification. See link to emails here. Once you have raed this please tell me if you are more or less confused :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Interesting responces and some things I didn't think of. By the sounds of it, it's not worth the hassle for a reletivly new house. Unless your renevating.

If.you had access to the floorboards and can wire.in to the existing circuits its probably doable

Otherwise not.reslly

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭The boarder

Malcomex wrote: »
    If.you had access to the floorboards and can wire.in to the existing circuits its probably doable

Otherwise not.reslly

Would be the easiest option. But unfortunately have carpet down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Would be the easiest option. But unfortunately have carpet down.

Not necessarily easiest option as it involves moving furniture lifting carpet lifting boards(including danger of drilling wires/pipes) and refitting everything. The floor never goes back 100% even whilst screwed.
    Depending on the existing cable run and the size of downlight holes it’s possible that this works could be done without lifting floor boards. No guarantees however until the holes are drilled. There may be a few small holes needing patching and repaint.
    I’ve occasionally used existing cabling through joists as fish wires to install new wiring.

Advertisement